LEDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEDs

i'm sure these type of questions are probably annoying and asked all the time but i could really just use some guidance.. would an 800 watt LED be enough for 4-5 plants?? also would an LED light be a better investment than a t5 light in the long run?

Led is the wave of the future. Cheap and a way people are apparently just getting familiar with and good at. People I have read on and talked to have really enjoyed them and environment is so easy to control. Set up for size would be what I would say. I noticed no one goes under 450w to grow decent yields. I using a 450w meizhi I got cheap on amazon and am growing six plants. I intended four but was gibe two. So I thru a cfl at the end over the extra two and am just passed the first month of veg. They are amazing so far and my electric went up like 60 or 80 bucks. I run 20/4 lighting .
    Attached Files

Comment

• Canyon Grower
      Canyon Grower commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes indeed. Looking very good Oregon !

• sydnasty
      sydnasty commented
      Editing a comment
      when do you recommend starting training with the LEDs??

• OregonTentLife
      OregonTentLife commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks everybody. .1st grow and I had super big issues in my 1st month. Mostly environment but its an art.. Anyways led is intense. Not the heat so much but definitely go by manufacturer recommendations with any led. I did research on power and wattage and all that jazz and being a poor white boy I couldn't afford mars, or any other expensive brand. This one on ebay rocks. I getting another and they daisychain so its nice. Im just excited to turn the bloom switch on for the first time lol.

For height the general rule is 18 inches, I was supposed to be at like 14 in seedling i guess but 18 to like 21 inches above the CANOPY.

The LED will give you more and better light for bloom cycle, but can also be used for vegging. However, I love the T5 for vegging. You can keep it much closer to the plant and reduce stretching.

Comment

I think that's a fine way too. I add 2 23w cfl to add side lighting.. I cut fan leaves a lot to let the led penetrate. But once I figured out the intensity and distance for growing my girls they just took off! I had one almost die but that was in the beginning lol. Learn environment and train your plant as you go and led seem to go great! Can't wait for the bloom switch!!

Comment

• insomniaczzz
        insomniaczzz commented
        Editing a comment
        Adding clfs is also a great way to get more light exactly where you want it.

I'm 3 weeks in on my first led, tent grow. I have 300 watt actual draw in a 3x3 tent. The girls like the light but I have noticed that I need to add a little heat. I added a few cfl's and everyone is happy. On a 18/6 schedule and LST. Good luck Oregon....

Comment

thank you all for your advice! those plants are looking good so far oregon! i'm really having a hard time figuring out if i should go with LEDs or t5s. someone told me LEDs are for the poor mans grow and will give me more short, bushy plants, with not very good yields. what do you guys think? if i did purchase the LED it would be either the 800w or the 1000w. and if i felt like it wasn't enough light with the LED, i could add some fluorescents? for veg or flower?

Comment

• OregonTentLife
          OregonTentLife commented
          Editing a comment
          Just a quick add here, everyone has an opinion, just stick to your budget, your ability for set up and cost and make your set up your own. Follow general guidelines but everyone has different strengths and weakness in their grow. Just pick something, stick to it and Im sure everything will be fine. Led is cheap, and works. cfls is cheap and works. Research and get to growing!! I post pics. I want to see your plants lol..

• tyler_ hobbyist
          tyler_ hobbyist commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought 1 600wat led and it was ok for 2plants at no more than 9inchs I needed to buy another 1000w full spectrum and it was ok for 2-3 plants and 9inchs so I had to buy another 1200w and with all 3 lights at 9inchs my 8plants are takeing right off!!!! They love the light 24/0 lights autoflower but from the leds so far my plants are short and bushy but lots of bud sites and a lot of growth. I'm growing blueberry tangerine dream and candy cane

• tyler_ hobbyist
          tyler_ hobbyist commented
          Editing a comment
          From my understanding you need 50-60 actual watts per plant more for sativas

and how do you figure out the ACTUAL draw for LEDs 😐 it's so confusing to me. thanks ahead of time!

Comment

• bobsakamoto
          bobsakamoto commented
          Editing a comment
          and to save you some time, there is currently no less than "lab equipment-ish price" way to measure the true effectiveness of LEDs, bc to get that you need a PAR meter that does not use conversion software and those cost so many moneys....

see http://www.growweedeasy.com/color-sp...ana-grow-light

• Nartak
          Nartak commented
          Editing a comment
          u go bobby!!Thanks for sharing buddy

• bobsakamoto
          bobsakamoto commented
          Editing a comment
          i'm here all day...

well, actually, NOT today, bc it is the most 'MURICAN of AMERICAN holidays...the super bowl...but if the falcons start to get stomped i'll maybe be back after the halftime show and commercials...

but usually i'm here all day...

My experience with what I'd consider entry level lamps(Mars and King) have given me pretty good results on the two grows I've done this year. I have an area of 3'x5' that contains 8 RDWC net buckets. I run two of the Mars 300 lamps~$125 and a King 1200-$250 in the center. Combined draw is about 450w so I would think that 250-350w would be adequate for what you want to do. I am currently designing a new lamp system using COB lamps. I am hoping to get even better results-new technology is making big strides.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Soilscience
          Soilscience commented
          Editing a comment
          I just built a COB system using Vero 29s. I love it. I can share what I learned if you are interested. I feel like I'm getting a full doubling of usable light for the wattage.

• bobsakamoto
          bobsakamoto commented
          Editing a comment
          I am interested, VERY, Soilscience ...if you have the time/energy for sharing what you learned.
          Last edited by bobsakamoto; 02-05-2017, 04:01 PM.

• Soilscience
          Soilscience commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry to drop out for a bit #bobsakamoto Here's the shopping list for the light I'm building as a prototype to hang at local garden shop.

3 Vero29s BXRC E3510K0-C-73SE, the C is a very important letter. The gen7s are B,C,Or D. Each group operates in different current and voltage ranges.
          1 Meanwell HLG 320H C1400B
          3 Mechatronix Giga 15250 heat sinks which come pretapped for Vero29s.
          You'll need some framing materials, a cord, a switch, a dimmer (potentiometer), and for about 300 bucks you'll out perform a 315LEC with 50% more light and about 290 watts total usage.
          I get the cobs from Digi-Key. The driver from Arrow. The heat sinks from CSI
          The heat sinks are currently sold out world wide. I'm subbing with Mega 134100s which will add about 20 bucks to the build.
          Go to the manufacturers web sites and read,read,read. It's all there.
          If you go ahead with it, we could probably exchange emails or something.

3 Vero29s

light is not something you want to skimp on. Cheap led light works but make sure to get more. Led light doesn't spread the light correctly. They are basically one directional and few led out there that has better spread usually cost more. Led is great and it decently cheap. As for veg you don't need as much light as you would flower. I would get 2 and by the time you ready to flip to flower mode, order another or 2 led. Do not get the 1200watt or whatever the super high watt is. Get 3 unit of 400watt > one unit of 1200watt because you can separate the light and utilize it better. T5 are a waste of money if you don't already have them. My plant didn't stretch using Led, just make sure to put it at a correct distant and make sure to use the veg light on the led because blue light is good for veg and keep them node shorter together.

I am using Mars300 (old unit, doesn't have bloom/veg on/off switch) and I use Viparspectra par600 with has Red/Blue/White light on/off switch. I like the viparspectra because it is well made and the light is bright plus you get to choose which light spectrum for which mode your plant is in. Plus it is pretty cheap.

Comment

• sydnasty
          sydnasty commented
          Editing a comment
          how much was your viparspectra? so do you think 3 400w LEDs would be enough or do you think i'd still have to buy more come flower time. (still for 4-5 plants) i do realize that there isn't an answer for everything and it's just something i might have to see when it happens but i love input, this is going to be my first grow.. thanks 😊
          Last edited by sydnasty; 02-03-2017, 03:49 AM.

• bobsakamoto
          bobsakamoto commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by OcMaster View Post
          light is not something you want to skimp on.....

Do not get the 1200watt or whatever the super high watt is. Get 3 unit of 400watt > one unit of 1200watt because you can separate the light and utilize it better.
          SO all of this...esp the separating the lights out point...

Just commented the exact same thing on another thread..

Viparspectra 600PAR 600w (600w HID equivalent) uses 285w 12 band 3switch dimmable : http://a.co/4GXCy3v
        Viparspectra 900w (1000w HID equivalent) uses 415w Fullspectrum Flower/Veg switch : http://a.co/8jGbpS6
        Viparspectra 700PAR 700w (600w HID equivalent) uses 326w 12band 3switch dimmable : http://a.co/gZfvdYJ
        Tent : 4x4

HPS/MH
        600W

LED
        2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
        BioBizzLight Mix
        Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
        Grow , Micro , Bloom , B-52
        Bud Ignitor , Big Bud, Overdrive
        CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals
        Nartak's 1st Grow - Canna Nutes - HPS 600W

Comment

• Nartak
          Nartak commented
          Editing a comment
          2 of the 900w ones will do you 6 plants in Good+ conditions a decent yield..One of them is 1000w HID equivalent...

One of those covers a 4x4 to 5x5 area full strength. Not cheap but efficient.
        VIPARSPECTRA 1200W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UORXUBA..._XGkLybYRBP25A
        x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

If you have the means, a cob led is the way to go. The spectrum these give off is far superior to anything on the market. But as usual, it comes at a price. Timber grow lights now has framed kits for those that can't make a frame themselves. The Cree cxb 3590's are the standard right now. The veros have had good feedback from what I've read too. They're a cheaper option.

If you're quite the diy'er, growmau5 cutter kits seem to be the cheapest I've seen.

Good luck.

Comment

I am doing my first grow with all led lights im using a 800watt led for veg and flower here are some pictures at week 2 of flower

Comment

• OregonTentLife
            OregonTentLife commented
            Editing a comment
            What strain are those? I have indica dominants growing under led.

• Minnesotabrandon
            Minnesotabrandon commented
            Editing a comment
            white widow

T5's are great for vegging but they burn out fast. Even so that is what I use to veg. Its according to what you are doing if you envision a commercial grow probably HID's are at present unbeatable. Led's cost more up front but if you only growing for yourself they have some advantages. All is relative. Plan ahead. Great hobby !! Have fun !!
          Focus and relativity.

Comment

On ebay and amazon the bestva and lower cost leds that I buy the wattage is 1000w/ 200w accual draw 600w/100w accual draw and 1200w/ 350w accual draw

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X