Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have trouble keeping the temps in your closet grow room down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have trouble keeping the temps in your closet grow room down?

I grow in a 4'x5' closet and use several fans to push hot air out and pull cool air in but some times the temps get a little too high. Also, I've been fighting spider mites and I've treated the plants several times with AzaMax but now I'm about two weeks from harvest and I don't want to treat the plants again. Spider mites hate cooler temps, higher humidity, and a stiff breeze. They can not reproduce.

Then I remembered seeing a home made swamp cooler a few years back and decided to build my own. Very simple using a 4" PVC elbow, a 9" fan, a medium sized ice chest, and a block of ice (I use a plastic tub and freeze my own block of ice). Within about 15 minutes, the temp dropped from 77 to 72 and the humidity went from 42 to 55. I know 55 is a little high for plants at this stage but my priority is to stop the mites from breeding, laying eggs, and taking over my crop.

This sort of set won't work from most of you but it might help someone.
    I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
    Blue Mystic (7 gal)
    VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
    Coco Coir w/30% perlite
    Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Looks like your grow is in soil spread sand on top of soil thay can't walk or breed in it ..... It chews up there ectoskeleton!!!!! Luck

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      I've heard that before but I also use diatomaceous earth. I've mostly killed off the mites but can always find just 2 or 3 (I have 9 plants) so if I can just keep those 2 or 3 from breading for the next 2 weeks or so, I good. ( I know... if I can find 2 or 3, there are more I haven't seen )

Dagmar,
    That is neat! Simple and looks to be effective. My grow space is a closet 71" wide X 22" deep, and 96" tall with double bi-fold doors. This time of year, it is not too hard to keep the temperature in control, I just close off the heater register to the room that the closet is in. You might throw a chunk of dry ice in the cooler and see if it helps out, maybe?
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be a good idea if I weren't so cheap !

Thanks!

Dagmar, that's a really good design!! Yes, the water in my reservoir gets too warm at times, and I think I could rig something up like you have to keep the grow room temp. down. I'm not really wanting to buy a $200-something chiller for the reservoir...
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      I had the cooler, the fan, a drill and a jigsaw but had to buy the elbow for $2.50. Very easy, very cheap

Thanks!

Buds are looking mighty fine!
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Originally posted by DW2 View Post
    Dagmar,
    That is neat! Simple and looks to be effective. You might throw a chunk of dry ice in the cooler and see if it helps out, maybe?
    I bet that would be pretty effective although I don't know how much dry ice is going for or how much it cost for a respirator.

WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Thumbless Bastard
      Thumbless Bastard commented
      Editing a comment
      What a minute. What is dry ice made of? CO2! Add just a little maybe? Just a thought.

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Last time I bought dry ice it as around $10 for a block. I made bubble hash. Not cost effective for this project.

Respirator...is that what I made?

Not dry ice guys, just regular ice.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Nice job on the swamp cooler i would just advise to get as much air circulation with the rh being a little high u want good air movement around those buds

Comment

• Dagmar
        Dagmar commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I'm also using a more powerful fan that on the low setting blows strong - but hopefully not too strong. The buds are filling in very nicely and, as a result, are crowding each other. Circulation is very important right now.

I too struggle with heat and being a cheap SOB with serious DIY skills, tried to correct with multiple intake and exhaust fans. Finally bit the bullet and bought a good centrifugal fan along with a speed control last week. Problem solved! New fan is a little louder, mostly air flow, but not as noisy as my furnace fan. If anyone asks what's that noise, it will be my radon extractor! 😉
      DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
      315 LEC
      6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
      6" Carbon filter
      3- 6" fans
      humidifier
      temp and humidity gauge
      5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
      FF trio nutrients

Comment

• PuravidaC
        PuravidaC commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a small grow space and struggled to keep temps below 90. After installing new fan, temps are steady in the upper 70's and fan controller is set on low. I'm very pleased with results and not worried about decreased air flow when I connect carbon filter during flower.

• PuravidaC
        PuravidaC commented
        Editing a comment
        Just reread your original post. Are you concerned that temps in upper 70's is too high? Are you growing in soil or DWC? Photo looks like soil.

• Dagmar
        Dagmar commented
        Editing a comment
        Soil, but the reason that I want lower temps, lower 70s, is for mite control. With out the cooler the temps are in the upper 70s to lower 80s and mites bread like crazy when it's that warm.

I forgot to tell You Dagmar, that I also use ice bottles directly in my reservoirs to keep the temperature between 62 - 70 deg. F. In the warmer months I will change them out about every 2 - 3 hours, this time of year, one or two ice bottles keep the temperature down for the entire day.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dagmar, You could also wrap the containers with an insulating material, like bubble wrap or foam packing, I wrap my reservoirs with the large bubble , bubble wrap and it helps keep the temperature down (or at least, in my mind ! lol). Also, if the containers are black or dark colored, and exposed to the light then wrap some aluminum foil around them to reflect it back. Remember it's only crazy if You wear it on Your head !! LOL.

• Dagmar
        Dagmar commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea! I'll just remove the foil wrapped around my head and wrap it around the containers.

But really, good idea.

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Just be extra careful of the aliens and the government!! lol

This is a great idea although keeping humidity down in late flower would be a challenge with this approach. On very hot days here I would prop a large frozen cooler freeze pack in front of my tent's intake vent. It would give me a 5 degree temp drop for a few hours during the hottest part of the day. It does create a puddle of condensation though.
      Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

• Dagmar
        Dagmar commented
        Editing a comment
        KISS, I like it!

Keeping down humidity was less important than keeping down the mites.

Hey Dagmar,

I don't know about spider mites and I don't really know if this is a good over all idea, but I read a post, I don't think here, and I think it was for outside grows but, they guy said he mixes up garlic into his water and sprays his plants with that -- says it is a great repeller of bugs and animals. I don't know if it works or how your weed taste afterwords, but hell I like garlic.

Comment

• Dagmar
        Dagmar commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the suggestion - I heard that, too and did that in veg on an earlier grow to try to get rid of gnats but it didn't work. I haven't tried it since but I'm too close to harvest.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X