I don't understand: why people grow in hydro, why people grow autos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand: why people grow in hydro, why people grow autos

Hydro is such a PITA, I gave up on that 5 years ago. I don't think the results are as good as in soil, but I have no science to back that up. It's anecdotal. Where are the terps? They're more pronounced in a soil grow.

Autos - what a PITA. Any disturbance in veg state and you are F*d.

At the same time, go ahead and do what you want. What works for you may not work for me that's all. I'm wrong enough and can learn anew.

I have this auto going now, and I'm becoming unhappy with it. Go amber will you? Kind of fluffy buds you have, with almost no smell. If you have an auto go past 70 days why not go with a photoperiod instead? If you ask what's this plant's age - well, at this point does that matter? It's well past the breeder's timeline (no surprise there, they almost always understate the duration of flower). TBH dates don't mean much to me and I harvest when the plant is ready, when it has amber. Gorilla Glue auto by Royal Crown Seeds

Comment

I don't understand why folks who could grow outdoor choose indoor instead. If i could grow as many plants as I wanted I would only grow regular seeds never feminized. I believe regular plants are much more vigorous and potent.

Comment

• Poppa
        Poppa commented
        Editing a comment
        I can legally grow outdoors if I have a way to secure them, basically I'd need a locking dog kennel with top covering so sides can't be climbed over. Now for reasons I choose indoor growing as opposed to growing outside. First BUGS less chance of bug issues when growing indoors. Second chance of pollination I use a Merv 11 air filter to stop pollen from entering my room when bringing in outside air when temps permit it. Mainly tho the reason I chose to grow indoors is the ability to start seeds mid January with a harvest late May then dried cured and smoke-able by July 4th. I can then start seeds mid July with a late November harvest that's dried cured and smoke-able by Christmas. So for me it comes down to being able to do 2 grows a year as opposed to doing the one outside that is dependent on Mother Nature being cooperative through the summer months and Jack Frost staying away till it could be harvested.

I think regular seeds are the way to go also. I won't do indoor during the summer and pay for light that's free outside. During the winter there's no choice though.

Comment

I don't understand the lust in the general community over cookie crosses.

Comment

What is a “PITA”?

I like indoors because I can control everything. I don’t worry about temp, light, air flow, bugs, pests eating my plant, bud rot, nosy neighbors, etc. because I can control it all. If you live in a part of the world and a neighborhood where none of those are a problem for you, then that’s beautiful. But having control is paramount for many of us.

I just tried my first autos because I like the idea of having 18/6 the whole grow. It’s hard for me to keep ambient light out of the room where my tent is for those extra 6 hours in the morning.
          Last edited by Rik; 04-21-2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
            PeterMatanzas commented
            Editing a comment
            PITA is pain in the

• Farmbuck
            Farmbuck commented
            Editing a comment
            PeterMatanzas Thanks for the clarification Peter i thought it was a pita bread lolll. Just kidding !! Remember I'm an Ace Seeds grower. You want something strong then Killer A5 is for you. Right now my Kali China girls are drying. I've grown their Panama, Nepal Jam and Kali China. The A5 is too strong for me.

Is Spanish your mother tongue ? English is not my mother tongue also, french is.
            Last edited by Farmbuck; 04-21-2021, 03:38 PM.

• PeterMatanzas
            PeterMatanzas commented
            Editing a comment
            Farmbuck I've got ACE seeds coming, 7 different strains. Maybe more because they screwed up the order and said they'd send extra bonus.

I understand why people want 30% THC flower but why don't you make or buy some concentrate? Some of the best flower I've smoked is Violeta by ACE Seeds, and that's 14%. Nuclear level terps though for the entourage effect. EDIT: There is this new breeder, showed up out of nowhere, says they've been selling seeds for 2 years (where??), they have over 50 strains and some they are touting at 35%. Give me a f* break NFW. Anesia seeds, where's the science? Show your analytics.
          Last edited by PeterMatanzas; 04-21-2021, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Rik
            Rik commented
            Editing a comment
            The reason I like to control my environment so closely is not because I’m trying to get 30% THC, it’s simply because I tend to worry compulsively about my grow and if I had to worry about what is going on outside it would just be too much. I agree with you, why the need for the absolute highest THC levels possible, at least if you’re growing for home use? You can smoke as much as you want, so no need to make it 30%. Most of us, I would assume, enjoy the actual feel of the act of smoking itself, so smoking more of 14% is nicer from a certain perspective than taking a little tiny hit off of some redonculous 30% weed. Just my opinion, to each his own!

• Puglover1
            Puglover1 commented
            Editing a comment
            It takes me a lot, tolerance? I bought a 35% pre roll and a 26+% pre roll to try the strains. I have the testing sticker results on the tubes. I didn't need to smoke a whole joint for the same effect as my own grown. Other stoners that I share a joint with get high on mine. Concentrate-wise, Everclear is expensive, equipment costs plus the time make the savings less vs dispensary sale runs. I'm not flush with the bucks.

You should search why hydro in the search bar at the top right of screen I asked a similar question about hydro and got some good responses

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
            PeterMatanzas commented
            Editing a comment
            I apologize for my initial reaction. My first language is not English and beginning a sentence with “you should” has a connotation you don’t intend

• TheKieftan
            TheKieftan commented
            Editing a comment
            Just a suggestion bud like if you were going to walk a trail I’m familiar with and I say you should watch your footing on the third turn the rocks are loose

• PeterMatanzas
            PeterMatanzas commented
            Editing a comment
            There’s a lot of danger there son isn’t there

No, I want to hear from the current crowd. And also hear what other questions people have, as “I wonder why”
          Last edited by PeterMatanzas; 04-21-2021, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I decided to do hydro when i got started just because I’ve never been able to keep anything but dandelions alive in soil. 😂

i think there are pros and cons to hydro just as there is for soil. It’s a “pick-your-path” for growers and what they feel would work for them.

As for autos vs photos...I’ve only done autos and chose them because of the whole “flip” thing...which i have learned is as easy as changing the timer for my lights. 😂 My next garden will be photos.
            There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
            1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
            2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
            3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

I agree with the pick the path sentiment. I have auto seeds I am trying to trade, not here of course, I don’t think I’ll ever use them

Comment

I kinda feel the same way in regard to coco coir. Seems like more often than not when I read here about people having growing issues, coco is prominently mentioned. While it has some trace nutrients in it there is virtually nothing to feed your plants and you have to rely on feeding supplements almost nonstop, which leads to chasing PH levels continuously. Coco it seems can also lead to calcium, iron, and magnesium lockout. That being said, I have seen some really sweet plants come from coco grows so obviously it has it's merits when someone is devoted enough to constantly monitor it. Most of the starter soils I use do contain a certain amount of coco but mixing it with living soil seems to buffer it so I seldom have any issues. I don't know if I'm just lazy but I will continue to stick with dirt and sun because it seems pretty bullet proof.

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
                  PeterMatanzas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  First time I grew with living soil coco coir based, it was a disaster. I let the soil get too dry.

I got these as a freebie somewhere and sprouted them to go in a friends backyard. The sprouts are pitiful. probably combo of weak genes, feminized and cloned too long. I don't grow this kind of plant because of the lack of vigor these plants display. Most are very difficult to grow outdoors. I prefer land race seeds and Ace seeds is my favorite breeder

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
                  PeterMatanzas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ACE is also mine. Couple years ago I felt I was burned by Royal Queen Seeds and wouldn't buy them again. But I have. I really wanted to try their Sour Diesel because there is no Sour Diesel anymore. It's on the way. EDIT: I'm growing out an RQS Fat Banana and it's my 2nd one. It's outstanding. I've had some RQS that have come through.

I choose indoors because where I live, by the time the light goes below 12 hours the weather has cooled off to the point that nights are in the low 50 high 40 range and everything gets soaked from dew during the night. Leading to mold and bud rot. I will try autos outside just to avoid this problem. Otherwise it is indoors and control all the way.
                Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
                  PeterMatanzas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I first starting growing outdoor my reaction was "WTH are these autos?" because they were flowering in July. That's what they do because the sun comes up at one hour and 14 hours later it is descending into the horizon.

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly Ckbrew i waste so much time with early bloom reveg on photos outdoors over the years. Indoor for starting and growing photos is the way to grow for outdoors. Veg them for a very long time if you can get them at least 20" mine get all root bound it hasn't mattered one bit with photos once they get into their big pots outdoors 10,15,30gal which ever those roots explode and grow fast in my experience. We got about 4months of decent grow weather where i'm at. I've had photos started from seed or clones and be nearly 8months old by the time i've harvested. But i'm old school and trying to change my practices. I really don't want to be tied down anymore so i'm growing autos more outdoors 10wks max and staged grows, every 2wks start a new auto seed.

Reason why I tried hydro was because the potential for big yields. That and I hated having to test runoff from my soil pots which is what I started with. Then realized this weed taste like I went to the dispensary and almost all the same. Learned about living soil and is exactly what I was looking for in the beginning. I feel the yields are great and the taste and smell is night and day difference to me compared to hydro. Now I know exactly where my amendments come from no lore checking ph no runoff no none sense. All I do is top dress and herbal teas. Also set up my worm bin sink have all the nutrient rich castings my plants need for health. Just doesn’t get any easier. Indoors mostly but this year I will try outdoors actually have 3 autos outside doing great. The autos I got are beautiful, they smell strong taste good and hit hard. Just have to pick the eight genetics. I’ve had feninized seeds that end up looking like your autos, fluffy and taste like grass basically no good for me.

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
                  DeadlyFruit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL I won’t flame you because I don’t either. I barely allow for any runoff. Not bragging that this is better, I just really don’t feel like testing it after I water because by then I have usually just finished my mid-watering sample of the goods 🙂. To be really honest, I don’t think I have had any huge problems as a result. Could I have tweaked and tested and adjusted for a little bit more harvest? Probably, but... the audiobook is playing, my little camp chair is comfortable and I am busy pretending I am on a holiday in a sunny jungle. Pass the snacks.

• PeterMatanzas
                  PeterMatanzas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm with you on that, I don't get much runoff. I have the fabric bag in my hands and rotate it after a watering and I can feel the water running down the sides. EDIT: if it's a 3 gal or less. I have a 5 gal going right now with LIT Farms Gatorade #25 and of course I can't lift that.
                  Last edited by PeterMatanzas; 04-21-2021, 07:47 PM.

• DeadlyFruit
                  DeadlyFruit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It seems like a lot of work to just pour out 20% of the water. I get more harvest than I can use as it is. I water them daily with half strength nutrients instead of every few days to about 1% run off (not by plan it just works out that way) and I give them a double drink of plain water once a week. It is way less time and energy mixing and lugging water and it feels like I am wasting less, which has to be a good thing.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X