• Show
Clear All

This Is What I Ended Up With

Click image for larger version

Name:	tincture.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	507342
    So, one ounce of decarboxylated bud covered with EverClear 120 for 32 hours in the freezer. Strained it off and I ended up with 400ML of what looks like a morning urine sample. I made this for a buddy who uses it as a sleep aid. I'm reluctant to let him try it first so I suppose I'll need to be my own Guinee pig. Though I'm an avid grower I seldom use cannabis products so I'm a bit apprehensive. Should I just start with 2 drops under the tongue? I ordered some 1 ounce spray bottles as a delivery system but they haven't arrived yet.

Under the tongue is ok but can be kinda rough. I prefer to mix it into a pudding cup or something similar. Chocolate seems to mask the taste the best for me. We bought some of the medicine bottles with droppers for our tincture and I use a whole dropper in a pudding cup. I believe it’s 10ml but I’m not positive. Best to start light, definitely different than smoking

Comment

Hummm not sure for two but try 1 drop at least, so can you do a measurement? You know in milliliters to give you a benchmark,

Maybe I'll try to make some..... For wife of course. I'm a smoker

Good luck !
      Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
      Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
      Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
      Full auto grow
      Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
      12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

Ooof...under the tongue is like putting a lit match under your tongue. It’s highly effective and gives the best absorption of all the cannabinoids...but by Jeebus it takes a certain level of pain tolerance to hold it there 10 seconds. 😂
        I like to add mine to a hot beverage (as my everyday consumption method). The heat of the liquid drives out some of the alcohol to evaporate quickly. This way there isn’t too much alcohol taste after just a few minutes. I’ll also add it to any alcoholic beverage that I’m drinking, (except beer...that’s a gross combo...trust me).
        There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
        1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
        2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
        3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
          bboyfromwayback commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea under the tongue is harsh. You’re tasting it for a while afterwards

Personally I like my oil thicker. I tend to dip slobs in and smoke. If you suck on the doob as you dip it you can draw the oil further into it. If you wish to create under the tongue med. I would suggest you investigate making a tincture eithr food grade oils or fats. I have not explored this aspect yet (on dyi level). The are articles in the GWE web site. I also take a table spoon full of Hemp seed oil in am. Better than fish oils for heart and brain health
        “Rather laugh with sinners than cry with saints” Billy Joel Only the good die young
        ”I think I can, I think I can…”the little engine that could

Comment

I appreciate all the input my friends. Like I said, this is for a friend who has been using dispensary sprays under the tongue so I thought I should continue what he's used to. I've been known to savor a glass of Mezcal now and again so I don't think the alcohol aspect will be so bad. I added a cinnamon stick and a couple drops of vanilla extract to 2 ounces and hopefully that will buffer the from what I've heard, a godawful taste. From what I've read on the subject, under the tongue is the fastest delivery. I hate waiting for edibles to kick in, so I like the idea of knowing fairly quickly if I'm gonna get high. What I fear is getting stoopid high and anxiety kicking in. My spray bottles came shortly after this post and I even made tags for them. I'll let ya'll know how it went if I don't wake up dead or something worse in the morning.

thing. Click image for larger version

Name:	dragon.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	507392

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
            bboyfromwayback commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s not the alcohol but a very rich cannabis taste that kinda lingers on the tastebuds for sometime afterwards lol

• crucialbunny
            crucialbunny commented
            Editing a comment
            @bboy I can imagine it's pretty awful. I've found the best way to shake bad tastes is to take a small bite of peanut butter. Helps with ghost peppers too.

Definitely will have a bite to it. One of my old bosses put it the best when he gave me my first tincture. I asked him what it was and he said, "it's basically marijuana moonshine". Made more sense to me after I tried it. If you're not a hard liquor fan (and even if you are) the initial flavor can be pretty harsh. Like mentioned above, if you're not used to it, it may be better to mix it with something. I used to mix it right in my coffee, as an example, but you can mix it with just about any drink and not really notice it. You can also put it in your food if you wanted to. My thoughts though, you may need more than a drop or 2. I was doing 3-4 droppers worth to get my high from it. If you don't like the alcohol based tincture, you can also use vegetable glycerin. It won't be as potent (from what I've read), but it will have a sweet flavor with the weed instead of pure alcohol with a hint of weed. Both methods work well though. Also, you can mix some VG into your alcohol tincture to sweeten it up a little bit if the alcohol is too much for your tastebuds. I've used all 3 methods and they all work great. I know you said it's for a buddy, but there's a few options in case you're feeling bold and want to try more new ways for yourself.

Comment

• Floopydoop
            Floopydoop commented
            Editing a comment
            VG is a solvent that will take the THC from weed without needing the alcohol. Just sayin. That's why they use VG and PG as carriers for nicotine vapes.

• dphipps1020
            dphipps1020 commented
            Editing a comment
            I know, I've used both methods. But the alcohol extraction is more potent than the VG version.

Here's a nerdy but hopefully useful approach:

To estimate tincture potency use the following formula:
          (THC% x mg x efficiency)/ml = mg/ml of THC

Let's assume that the THC content of your herb is 20%. you used 1 oz (28.35 grams or 28,350 mg) of herb in 400ml of alcohol. An alcohol tincture extracts about 75% of the available THC.

The math looks like this: (0.2 x 28,350 mg x 0.75)/400 ml = 10.63 mg/ml.

As dphipps1020 suggests, that is not a very strong dosage and you'll probably need more than a few drops to feel an effect. Many recipes use 10 milligrams as a "normal" dose so you might start out trying a full dropper rather than a couple of drops.

Since the aerosol spray delivers much less per squeeze, you might consider further concentrating your tincture to increase the potency so that a couple of sprays delivers the appropriate dose. Let your friend's dispensary spray guide you to the proper mg/ml concentration.

Nerdy but Useful?
          My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
          I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
          Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. I sell to a person that makes tinctures. She uses 30 grams per half a liter of oil. Then is bottled into 30 ml droppers and she says to take 1 to 5 drops every few hours just to reduce anxiety. I have taken 2 drops and not feel anything. My gf takes 3 drops and feels just relaxed. My dad took one teaspoon and had a bad trip all night.
            She has told me she got fucked up by licking the spills and spoons during the process. Same with brownies. So I think some people will feel more tHan others but as a general rule one ounce per half a liter it’s a good place to start. Let your friend know you can make it stronger but it’ll be thicker and you won’t be able to use spray bottles. Only droppers

• YYCannabis
            YYCannabis commented
            Editing a comment
            I doooo love nerdy

Everybody pretty much hit it on the head with their comments. I sat down to watch the Dodger game last night and took my first spray. It wasn't nearly as bad taste wise as I feared. I added a couple of drops of vanilla and soaked a cinnamon stick in it beforehand. Didn't taste like a cookie but not as bad as 3 month old clay pot kimchee. After 20 minutes, nothing. Took another blast and I felt it a bit. Third one was the charm. I knew it was working when I got up and went to the fridge and stood there a solid minute before I remembered why I opened it. Today I boiled off about a quarter of the alcohol to concentrate it a bit more. The high reminds me a bit like mixing Valium and Wild Turkey. I may have found my niche. I appreciate all the input folks.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice. You’ll find the sweet spot don’t worry

Havent you ever heard the everclear song take a small slice of watermelon and drop some on there

https://youtu.be/67BnSw1VtDY here’s a link if you want to listen

Comment

My eldest daughter who is now 41 had a massive brain bleed at age 18. It left her with literally half a brain and only the use of the right side of her body and she needs a motorized wheelchair to get around . She has extreme muscle tightness on her right side which causes her quite a bit of pain. For years I've been making her cannabis balms to relieve some of that spasticity and pain. It has helped her significantly and I was also making her edible fudge for sleeping. She has been living on her own for 20+ years but needs my help every evening to get herself settled into bed. Tonight instead of the edible I gave her a couple sprays of the tincture. Honestly I have not seen her so relaxed and happy for many many years. We chatted for nearly an hour and she was laughing nearly the entire time. When I asked her if she was high, she said no, not really, but I feel really good. When she eats the edibles she tends to get kinda dopey but tonight with the tincture she was just happy. Cannabis has so much to offer in so many different ways, it's truly a shame that the medical establishment has not made more of an effort to incorporate it into mainstream treatments. Anyway, I know that I'm preaching to the choir but I just wanted to share tonight's experience with my friends here.

Comment

• TheKieftan
              TheKieftan commented
              Editing a comment
              All about the money weed literally grows on trees if the medical establishment helped fully legalize weed everywhere soon everyone would have some growing in there gardens and no one would need to buy those 3,000-4,000$ a dose medications

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Now this is what i love to hear crucialbunny i sure wish F-ing feds would just keep off the grass and allow folks to wander into the possibilities of all the medical goodness that can be derived from this plant. It's because of the money passed between pharm & physician lots of zeros behind it. AMA is like some folks sitting on their govt. seats for over 50yrs sleeping through the times.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X