Dry Vape Pens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Vape Pens?

Some times us 'Old Farts' can be a little slow on the uptake. I just discovered the dry vape pens now available. I am not a fan of oil based vape devices. Another chemical to ingest it seems to me. As a 54 year cigarette smoker I had a wake up call last year by needing a 4 way bypass surgery so I had to rethink what I have been doing to my body for so long. However I don't want to give up my medical benefit and enjoyment of our reason for growing. Edibles are great but the lag time in effect is a drawback when sometimes I want it and now.

Now I have discovered the concept of the dry pen. Finally a way to get my effect without the downside of smoke. Dry ground bud vaporized to inhale without the possible ill effects and no complex processing or difficult cleaning sounds very interesting to me so I'm bringing the question to my favorite consultants.

1. Have you tried it?
    2. Comparison to smoking dry and oil vape?
    3. Wasteful or conservative of product?
    4. Other comments?

Thanks folks, looking forward to your replies before I spend $120 on another gadget.
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

Well I got my first and only dry herb vape pen back in 2013. Called atmos Rx. Actually burned the weed if you get hot enough. Was a pain in the ass to clean and refill. It worked like a charm for that hard non melting low quality hash. I’m sure more modern product have superior quality in all regards. I’ve tried a couple when friends pull them out and share but I’m used to a desktop vape that’s 10 times more powerful and dense so I don’t find the appeal.

Comment

Hi TOKABIGONE
      I have a few dry herb vaporizers. I love them. Rather than calling them a dry vape pen they are simply referred to as vaporizers or dry herb vaporizers. Most of them do not look like a pen. You can research tons of them on the internet but the no combustion smoke they produce is the biggest reason people switch to them. They are a somewhat healthier method of using cannabis. Here is a video link that outline some of the benefits. More questions...ask away.

Last edited by JeffInCanada; 04-14-2021, 08:02 PM.
      Past Grows: Jack 47 Auto - La Bella Afrodita - Black Cream and Cheese Autos
      I like weed and science.

Comment

Following... I too used to smoke cigarettes until I had a heart attack 20 yrs ago. Quit completely but I still roll my joints. Never was a fan for ingesting it in my body. I've try a few time and I'm letting the edibles for others. Wife use oil tho.
        Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
        Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
        Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
        Full auto grow
        Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
        12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

Yep, picked up a DynaVAP M 2020 few months ago. It has a fairly steep learning curve, but once you figure it out, it's awesome. Pretty spendy, but I wanted more of a one hitter style than the session vapes that can take a bowl 20 minutes or longer. My old lungs can't handle 20 minutes of puffin straight. So I load a tiny little bowl, get 2-3 vape hits and dump the bowl in a little tupperware that seals. (Get one on sale, don't pay retail). Click image for larger version

Name:	?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.shopify.com%2Fs%2Ffiles%2F1%2F2804%2F4178%2Fproducts%2FRS625_2020-M-Capped-back-vertical-February-DynaVap-Full-Units-Ms-2020_1024x1024%402x.png%3Fv%3D1586887259&f=1&nofb=1.png
Views:	565
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	507338

Save the ABV (already been vaped), it's toasted brown already decarbed and makes wonderful brownies
          Learned a lot this year. pH and whiteflies are issues that need controlling. Maybe an auto over January.....hmmmm...

Comment

Thanks Floopydoop Helped there as I didn't consider that I'm one person smoking and 2 to 3 hits per day is fine with me so a smaller one is more practical. Not to mention cheaper.

Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• Floopydoop
              Floopydoop commented
              Editing a comment
              It's got a bit of a crack-pipe feel to it when you first start. You'll get over it, LOL.

Yeah load the tiny bowl, heat up the cap with a torch lighter until it clicks.

Neat piece of kit. There's plenty of short how-to vidyas on youtoobs, get more of an idea if it's a fit.

Here's a user guide video for the 2020 Dynavap M vaporizer.
            DynaVap always sets their bar high, but I feel like they have really outdone themselves with this year's update. Even if you have a 2019 M, I would seriously take a look at this review as I'm going to go over all the new features, and you may find yourself wanting to upgrade.
            Past Grows: Jack 47 Auto - La Bella Afrodita - Black Cream and Cheese Autos
            I like weed and science.

Comment

My brother uses one and although he lies them a lot i think the biggest difference is price and built in obsolescence. They can be pricey for really good ones but how long do they last is the question. Personally I use a pipe.
              As far as smoking cigarettes versus smoking weed, real big difference. The amount of weed you would likely smoke in a day is probably equivalent of maybe one or 2 cigarettes...having said this cigarettes contain as many chemicals as weed (typically) so vaping may or may not have more "benefit" simply because there aren't a lot of studies done on it. In theory it's supposed to be "healthier" than smoking joints or pipes but then they don't yet know the full effect vapor has on lung tissue or how it affects the cardiovascular system.

As far as I'm concerned smoking is smoking whether its a pipe or a vape. Eventually something will kill us all. How we choose to enjoy our weed is a personal choice, much like smoking.
              I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• Cali
                Cali commented
                Editing a comment
                The big difference is the carcinogens. When you burn weed that’s what you get like a cigarette. When you vape the herbs your not burning anything so no carcinogens. There is research and proof vaping is a lot healthier than smoking. I used to have this annoying lil cough and read up on baking after a while I switched and no more lil annoying cough and my chest felt better or lungs I should say. Maybe it was just me but it seems to have the same effect on others. Smoking is not smoking if your vaping. Some chemicals have a reaction at certain temperatures that’s why the way have fancy vaporizers with temps so you can vape at your desired temps and they do give you different effects you should try it. I have learned in life you shouldn’t knock it till you try it lol but for real.

I tried to go down the vape path more for convenience and not creating smoke and smell in the house. I bought a 520 connection type mod and a Mr Bald T bowl. In reality it didnt really work very well and results were very poor. so I am interested in your findings.

Comment

• ponzi314
                ponzi314 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ive tried one of these in past too, it kept combusting..Those things kindof suck lol Take a look at my post on second page. My favor Solo 2 and Dynavap. They are both great depending on style you are looking for, Session vs One hitter

I bought a PAX? a few years back. I hated it. Lots of cleaning, didn't feel as high for the amount of dispensary weed I loaded and vaped. I did save and use the ABVs for making firecrackers. It's all cleaned up sitting here in its original box. I have no desire to use it again.
              Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
              Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
              Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
              Various size fabric grow bags
              Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
              4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
              Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

Wonderful responses and info, thanks! All things considered, my first choice is the 2020 Dynavap M due to the basic simplicity involved. Most of the muriad of choices are electronic in nature and sorry to say I believe low budget cheap, guaranteed to fail rapidly. Been there done that! Now comes a solid stainless steel piece that is heated by a small butane torch lighter like crack smokers use. Has a temp controlled mechanical clicker to say when warm and then again when cool. Suits my style fine, no mess no fuss! I believe safer in spite of open flame heating. Soak in ISO and run a pipe cleaner through it.
                I am not a paid solicitor for this device.

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Yo dude, I've had a Grenco Science Snoop Dogg G-Pen for a few years, and I'd certainly recommend them for the build quality & durability - really well made and function perfectly for me still with no problems ever.

As for actually using them, I'm not a major fan of vaping in general, as it is different to smoking and tbh doesn't feel as satisfying to me as a fat spliff does, though if you do enjoy vaping anyway then you'll enjoy it alot more - the inhale on it is very, very smooth, never hot and brings out alot of the taste profile - it does taste gorgeous tbf!

The only other downside i found was i probably put about just under 2 spliffs worth of weed into the vape chamber and that gives me about 10 good hits, so economy wise, i did find it uses abit more than usual smoking, plus i could do 10 vape hits in a couple minutes whereas a good spliff can last me 20 minutes.

I think it's horses for courses really, as vaping certainly isn't smoking but then it is a hella lot more safer, plus a good dry vape pen is probably closest you'll get to actual smoking atm anyway - certainly check out Grenco Science as they do a cool range and all seem really expertly designed & built, and aren't too crazy expensive.

Comment

I recently bought a PAX3 and I love it. It's easy to use (push a button and let it heat up for about 20 seconds), easy to clean, and comes with a 10 year warranty. It also has an app for your phone so you can fine tune your settings. It holds about 0.3g so you can have yourself a full smoke sesh, or take a few puffs and put it aside for later. I've used mine a lot and only had to clean it once so far. I think the thing that sold me on the PAX3 was mostly the warranty. If I'm spending that much on a vape, I want a little piece of mind with knowing that if it breaks I get a free replacement for 10 years. I looked at several different brands and models before making my choice, a few were about half price, but kept wandering back to the PAX3. Another thing I like about it compared to some others, is that it's pretty compact and not an odd shape to carry in your pocket. It fits almost perfectly in my hands and the ends don't stick out too far so you can be pretty discreet when using it. I did buy the tool for it too, for loading and unloading the chamber. It's a little more but it scrapes the chamber almost completely clean and makes reloading easier for people like myself who have fat fingers. It doesn't really smell when it's loaded either, only after you smoke from it. They do sell a smell proof case for it though too I believe.

Comment

I have been using the DaVinci IQ for several years and really like it. It is pricey but comes with a 10 year warranty. The downside is mine normally stops working in less than a year. However, the company is great in either repairing it or sending a new unit for no charge. I actually own two, so I have a backup if one is in for repairs.

Comment

This guy's funny. Appropriate for the age range here I suppose. He does make a few critical mistakes using it. Once you heat it, you gotta put it on the magnet to cool down and click again. He scorched that first bowl, guarantee you that is black ash now.

Last edited by Floopydoop; 04-15-2021, 06:16 PM.
                      Learned a lot this year. pH and whiteflies are issues that need controlling. Maybe an auto over January.....hmmmm...

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X