So I took the Drive of Shame...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I took the Drive of Shame...

It had been about 18 months, since I had visited a dispensary. My growing experience led me to a long, cannabis- free period. I decided to go with a much longer growing cycle of 60 days of vegging. While my results have been very encouraging, I could only last until my harvest. I couldn't trust myself to wait any longer for it to mature.

Since my last trip, much has changed. I now have OPTIONS, as more states have gotten on board the Cannabis Revenue cash cow.

My recent trip was less than half my previous route. I arrived just before opening and in just a few minutes, I was before my "bud tender".

My most pleasant surprise? They not only gave me a veteran discount but also a break on the sales tax too!! That said, this cheap old geezer chafes at paying somebody else to grow my passion.

My year and change of growing experience made me hyper aware of the lengths dispensaries/producers go through, to make you feel you're "getting a deal". I am absolutely flummoxed by some of the packaging. I bought a half ounce of their "grower's choice" Sativa and a half ounce of their Indica. The Sativa came in four zippered plastic packages and the Indica in four small glass jars. So an ounce of cannabis weighed approximately almost a pound.

The products have not disappointed. I'm just relieved to be sleeping better.

However, I am also enjoying the experience of my harvested crop. I take the two jars (approximately one ounce in each) and open them, comparing my fresh, trichome-encrusted herb to my purchase...remember the old coke commercial, "I'd like to buy the world a coke"? That's how I feel about just how fundamentally sad I perceive the current industry. If there is more "wild" bud out in the world, we'll all be a little better off...

A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

I'm a coke drinker but I'm not suppose to. No cuz i'm a diabetic... Do I care ? Nope at my age I like my coke, always will.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

I'm even lazier - when I need to buy some I just tap away at the computer for a few minutes and my order is placed - snail mailperson delivers it usually 48 hours later.

​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

It's been about the same amount of time for me too. While the buds can be good sometimes, I still prefer my homegrown. I also like that they usually have so many choices. Unfortunately, they are way overpriced for the quality of most of their buds and other byproducts. It's crazy cause most of my friends prefer my weed to the dispensary weed too. They say that the local dispensaries have a lot of lower quality, that it's way overpriced, and it doesn't really get them high. One of my friends smokes almost as much as me and he said he has to smoke 2 joints of theirs to even feel anything, and mine he can only do about a half joint at a time. I love it when I hear stuff like that, it will never get old!

For us veterans though, yes most places will give a military discount if you mention it to them and show proof. I used to get the sale weed that was normally $120/oz and after the discount it came to $102. I would usually throw the budtender a few dollars for a tip and would be on my way, and even then never paid over the $120. I think that's a reasonable price for dispensary weed, but anything higher is just greedy. Most of the time it was the same weed as was on their shelves regularly, but they had to get rid of it faster so they put it on sale. I used to ask why and most of the time they would tell me they just had a lot and were trying to sell it fast. If you ever have to go again, ask if they have any sales on flower. They can take you directly there instead of having to browse for a while to find it. Also, they may still give a military discount on top of the sale price, never hurts to ask.

Some of you may be asking why I tipped the budtenders, here's an example of why. I used to go in all the time, I mean like a few times a week to get a sale ounce, so a lot of the employees knew who I was and that I always threw them at least $10. I mean, I'm getting the discount so why not share the love right? One night I went in and they were slammed, line out the door literally. I had happened to walk in after a group of like 10-15 young kids, just barely old enough to be in there. I was waiting in line while the budtenders were checking IDs and one of the pretty young blondes comes to the counter. She asked if they were all together and they said they were. She then scanned the line until she saw me. She said "I can help you now, come on up", so I did. These kids were probably like WTF, but I was amused at this point. Anyway, I got my sale ounce and left a tip as usual (a little more this time) and thanked her for not making me wait, then was on my way home. A trip that could have taken me maybe 30+ minutes in the store ended up being less than 10. Some of the guys got to see pictures of my tents when I first started growing and knew it wouldn't be long before I stopped coming in. Bet they're wondering how it's been, if they still work there. Anyway, I'm high and rambling now but I hope you enjoyed the story.

Comment

My last drive of shame was in 2018 from Manitou Springs, CO to Saint Louis, MO. We passed medical that same year and still don't have very many dispensaries open.
          Coconut Grove
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
          32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
          Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

I mostly appriciate the handling of it from grower to dispensary by golly if i got pay $8 or more a gram i sure don't want it to look like old brown brick weed. I don't really like going in as frequent as i had do to we to got really low on supply, smoking more than we did prior to lockdown. They serve a really good purpose for those folks unable to grow there own but man......i'd really would need to have a part-time job to pay for it if i did not grow my own.
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Ok so you talk about having Columbian brick weed back then in the past non ? So Cannabis today has evolved in a major "commercial" industry that we are all caught as a consumer right? Correct me if I'm wrong..! You a'll know where I'm heading at. You all know there is no dispensaries where I go for winter so my little project of growing autos this year is kinda postponed until next year. Yes I know about brown weed at a cheap price in the Yucatan the stuff I don't like.... It's like drinking a bloody cheap wine bought from a corner store unless you want to pay a high price for top shelf medicinal. I might be completely off the post's subject but Mexico need to legalize like we did here so I can execute my wish of growing there some good weed with friends. Time is running out, I ain't in my 30's anymore.

Anyway have a nice night.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited by Farmbuck; 04-05-2021, 08:01 PM.
              Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
              Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
              Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
              Full auto grow
              Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
              12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• dphipps1020
                dphipps1020 commented
                Editing a comment
                From what I've been seeing, it looks like they did. May want to check on it, but I think so.

• Farmbuck
                Farmbuck commented
                Editing a comment
                We should know by the end of this month.

Originally posted by Canuck147 View Post
              I'm even lazier - when I need to buy some I just tap away at the computer for a few minutes and my order is placed - snail mailperson delivers it usually 48 hours later.
              Yes, they are really convenient. I literally just received an order yesterday from ye olde OCS. I have far more homegrown flower than I can use at home but I wanted some edibles where I knew exactly how much THC was in it so I can better determine how strong my own is and how much to use before bed (I enjoy recreational use but I use it more for lifelong chronic insomnia and stress). I have to admit some of the edibles you can buy are pretty darn tasty, but then so are my homemade Weed Krispy Squares! I think my rice krispy squares must be stronger than the maximum allowed for sale because after trying, 10mg seems pretty mild. Maybe a topic for another thread ‘what is a usual range of thc other growers consume/smoke/vape in a session.

Just do yourself a favour and never (ever ever ever) order a beverage called ‘Deep Space’. Got it because it was on sale and I wanted to try a beverage but had trouble choking it down because it tasted like watered down carbonated Buckley’s cough syrup. It should have triggered warning bells when I realized they didn’t actually advertise any specific flavour on the site or can. I guess deep space tastes like cough medicine - astronauts must have strong stomachs.

Comment

• dphipps1020
                dphipps1020 commented
                Editing a comment
                If you ever want to try another beverage, Keef makes some pretty tasty sodas. Not sure how widespread they are, but it's worth asking. Yeah 10mg is weak for a lot of people, especially heavy users. I've found my edibles are way stronger too and I prefer it that way.

• Puglover1
                Puglover1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Edibles take 75 - 100 mg for me. Have you ever had Surp? The Mango indica drink is good. I sometimes added it to other beverages, just too expensive for me lately.

• grouchyoldman
                grouchyoldman commented
                Editing a comment
                30 mg for relaxation, 40 mg for a really pleasant afternoon high. 60 mg and bed rest to survive *really* sore back after an afternoon digging out a stump in the orchard!

Originally posted by dphipps1020 View Post
              If you ever want to try another beverage, Keef makes some pretty tasty sodas. Not sure how widespread they are, but it's worth asking. Yeah 10mg is weak for a lot of people, especially heavy users. I've found my edibles are way stronger too and I prefer it that way.
              Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out for it next time I am shopping for the official stuff 🙂.

Comment

I had to make the trip last week. I get a disability discount at the closest dispo, next one farther only gives veterans discount. A gram of Cake Mints pre roll: $15.30; a .75 gram pre roll of Jack Herer: $15.30; Sundae Driver .5 gram vape cartridge: $45 on sale. All prices reflect my discount. Freaking $18 joints and not all a full gram. Luckily only 1% med tax. The Cake Mints is 35% THC, I had to try it.
                Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
                Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
                Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
                Various size fabric grow bags
                Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
                4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
                Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am shocked at the prices these days every shop is gouging and more and more small mom an pops are increasing do to supply and demand. Each and every one of us consumers are paying the costs from F-ing covid i don't care what it is........man we just gotta grow it ourselfs best we can.

I envy you still guys.
                Europe is sleeping on this matter while almost all the states have legalized it now. And I don’t understand why? The EU union need so much money but the same time controlling each country and their laws. I’m so sick of it..

Be happy you have at least a choice in the states guys 😅🙏🏻
                Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
                You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

I bought a candy bar in one despo, was very disappointed with it, claimed 10 doses I ate the whole thing and not even a buzz.
                  And here the places are on every corner (and in between), I thought QT had the most stores but despos are way more. They are looking at limits now (so only big money can get in) we'll see how it plays out.
                  I like to have the option, but for me it is an option.

Comment

• grouchyoldman
                    grouchyoldman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rwise, yep, that has been my experience with dispensary edibles as well.

I started making Green Dragon extracts and then evaporating them down to increase the potency. When I finally hit 75 mg/ml I was in the right range! Great for getting a good night's sleep and when I pulled a back muscle working in the orchard a dose of the Dragon dulled the pain way better than those TyleNide pills.

Arizona legalized it and dispensary raised prices to 250 an ounce for cbd weed lmao. Mid grade 10 a gram and top shelf 12 a gram. Last year i was growing for friends and I screwed myself on my own supply. Decided to take that drive of shame in January and found out about the price increase. I asked them why and got told because of the new regulations and fees they have to pay out. Right before legalization was 120 an oz. I'm making sure to put away plenty in-between harvests now. One weeks dispensary trip costs me more than a month's cost of growing.
                  640 watt hlg quantum board
                  320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
                  300 watt mars hydro sp3000
                  150 watt hlg quantum board
                  100 watt spider farmer led x2
                  organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
                  Water only i don't check ph
                  6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's going to get real interesting with federal legalizes it. And that CBD hemp price that's plain crazy Cloud. It's the only thing i'm purchasing from the dispensary right now to blend with my heavy indica. Have you tried getting seeds?

• dphipps1020
                    dphipps1020 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't know what the prices of anything are here in Colorado any more but I'm sure it's cheaper than most places. Anyway, last time I looked at seeds at the dispensary they were way overpriced. I think it was like $65 for a 5 pack of regular seeds, and the boxes say right on them that they're not guaranteed. But that was over 18 months ago too, so they're probably even more now. It's pretty ridiculous honestly.

• Cloud
                    Cloud commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nope haven't tried. I get them from newguy420. He has good stuff but I get a lot of hermi plants from him but other than that decent weed.

The drive of shame😂😂😂 now that’s funny

Comment

Originally posted by SoOrbudgal View Post
                    It's going to get real interesting with federal legalizes it. And that CBD hemp price that's plain crazy Cloud. It's the only thing i'm purchasing from the dispensary right now to blend with my heavy indica. Have you tried getting seeds?
                    I sometimes grow a CBD heavy plant (cannabis based CBD rather than hemp) and mix a little with my regular bud or add it to the trim when I am making QWET. I guess that makes THC the spoonful of sugar that makes the CBD medicine go down (I’d say that reference dates me but now that I know I am one of the babies on the site I don’t mind as much 🙂). My only problem was that it produced a scraggly looking plant that hermied more than usual so I am going to switch to another type.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X