Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ph meter issue hinders plants

Anyone use a ph meter like this?

Just wondering how often it should be calibrated. It was calibrated 7 days ago and used 3 times for mixing nutrient solution. When reviewing my logs for nutrient solutions, I noticed that my required ph down volume was slowly increasing over 7 days, with no change in other added quantities of nutrients. Checked calibration and it was off by almost one unit (giving a reading of 6.01, after calibration 5.2). Now I am nursing them back to health. Besides correcting the ph anything else that can be done for the plants?

Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

I calibrate mine every couple weeks. Maybe 4 at the most. I had one similar a year or so ago and it would go out of whack quickly. Now I use a bluelab meter and I trust it considerably more.
    5x5 Gorilla tent
    Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
    Infinity T8 exhaust fan
    Technaflora nutes
    Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

I used to like pH meters. I had a very nice one that I spent $80 on. I calibrated it very carefully and took awesome care of it. Thing still gave me readings all over the place. I’m afraid what a much cheaper one like what you linked to would do. I recommend just using the General Hydroponics pH test kit with the green liquid and the color chart.

Comment

Hydrion paper ph strips

Comment

• Puglover1
          Puglover1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Are they easy to read/compare? I have 10-parameter urine test strips for my pug with a rare disease, they don't seem very consistent. I did use them in a pinch when my cheapo pH meter quit working early.

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          They are. I like the 1 to 12 range
          Last edited by 9fingerleafs; 04-01-2021, 11:30 AM.

I had one like yours, didn't last through one harvest. I bought this one to get me through to the finish. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
        Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
        Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
        Various size fabric grow bags
        Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
        4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
        Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

I used to use those. Had a real reliable one, but then I dropped it in water. the next several of those I bought were crap. Posted here for suggestions:

I've been using one of those cheap 10 dollar ph meters you get on amazon. I had 3 in fact. One was my gamer. it was never out of calibration. took readings fast. it was my go to. I recently dropped it in some water. dammit to hell. its dead. my backups just aren't the same. they'll do until I can find something

someone recommended this guy:

I got that one, been using it for about a month. love it, great meter.

Comment

• RetiredGuy
            RetiredGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            I also have an Apera which has gotten me thru 2 grows without issues.

I started with an elcheapo PH meter, when it let me down I dropped a bit over $300 for a bluelabs combo plus. And the fluids needed to keep it in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
            And the fluids needed to keep it in good shape.
            ^^^ THIS
            Using a storage solution is the ONLY way to keep a bulb-type meter viable.
            Get the most from water-based plant growing systems with the Bluelab pH pens, pH tests, digital soil pH meters & pH sensors.

When you don't keep the bulb immersed in a kcl solution, it will drift.
            WHAT???
            5x5 grow space
            900w of Vero's and F-strips
            4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Wow PH pens? I tried them and hated them so I just used the GH ph drops. Then I realized I can be growing without the drops or pen and never looked back. Seriously it’s a waste of money. Even if you buy the best out there it can break then what? Humans always trying to reinvent the wheel lol.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X