what ph meter do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what ph meter do you use?

I've been using one of those cheap 10 dollar ph meters you get on amazon. I had 3 in fact. One was my gamer. it was never out of calibration. took readings fast. it was my go to. I recently dropped it in some water. dammit to hell. its dead. my backups just aren't the same. they'll do until I can find something better. what ph meter you guys use that you can recommend that are reliable?

pH paper strips

Comment

My take...
      Lab quality meters are nice, but they are just as susceptible to inaccuracy if not maintained.
      I've found that the economy meters will stay accurate if you store the probe in KCl solution and check calibration periodically.
      I use ph drops as a cross-reference if I think things don't make sense.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I use this one
        Measure pH, conductivity and temperature on the go  Measures pH, conductivity and temperature on the go Brilliantly simple design that’s easy to use, clean and calibrate Backlit display to capture every measurement with ease Includes a pH Probe and Conductivity Probe to cover all your nutrient uptake fundamentals 2-metre cable for measuring in hard-to-reach locations Customise scales to your preference - conductivity in EC, CF, PPM 500 (TDS) or PPM 700; temperature in °C or °F

and here 41% off on sale
        The Bluelab Combo Meter is a conductivity pH and temperature meter all in one. It comes with a pH probe and conductivity and temperature probe which are simply placed into the solution and the selected reading is displayed on screen. The Bluelab Combo Meter is portable and does not require a power supply. Calibration of the pH is very easy using the push buttons on the meter and fresh Bluelab calibration solutions. Conductivity and temperature do not need to be calibrated as this is locked in during manufacture. Select display options for C or F and EC CF or

I have recalibrated it one time, it had drifted to 4.1 on the low side

Comment

I use a blue lab ph meter and a vivosun meter as a back up. Both are calibrated regularly.
          5x5 Gorilla tent
          Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
          Infinity T8 exhaust fan
          Technaflora nutes
          Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

Im using an ADWA.
            haven’t calibrated it for 3 years, think I never calibrated it🤔 And it’s perfecto my plants tell it all. And I can also use it in the soil for Ph testing. And this ADWA is waterproof also👍🏻
            Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
            You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

I had a cheapo digital meter but I went back to General Hydroponics ph test indicator.
              Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
              Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
              Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
              Full auto grow
              Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
              12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

This is what I use:

Apera Instruments AI311 Premium Series PH60 Waterproof pH Pocket Tester Kit, Replaceable Probe, ±0.01 pH Accuracy

It’s only for liquid solutions and not for soil, though this brand also makes those pH testing instruments as well. It’s a little on the pricier side but it is reliable, accurate, and has precision to two decimal places.

Comment

Howdy dustydundee, I ,like 9fingerleafs , use the tried and true pH litmus test strips (LabRat brand) they never fail, give good readings (range from 4.5 to 9.0), and never needs batteries! (LOL!).
                  Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• echdk3
                    echdk3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What always bugged me about the test strips was the lack of precision. You can even interpret the color differently based on the ambient lighting in the room. Thoughts?

• 9fingerleafs
                    9fingerleafs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    True. But that can be a good thing when you want some drift un the pH but within range, i just aim for 6

• DW2
                    DW2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    echdk3, some test strips say to read them right away, some need a few seconds before they can be compared to the standard color chart. The ambient light should not make any difference with the reading when comparing the strip to the standard color panels (unless there is no light at all! LOL!) and the brand that I have been using are accurate within their range by 0.25. The test strips cost from $0.10 to $0.15 each, depending on brands and where they are bought.

sounds like everyone has their own preferred method. i echo the same concerns on the test strips and how to interpret the readings. also tried the liquid test solutions, and same issue, the interpretation. I like the digital display on a meter, perhaps the meter isn't always right, but I can always tell what the meter is saying though! Once I get used to a meter though and calibrate it a few times, I know which way it tends to drift, so it becomes pretty predictable...if you don't drop the damn thing in water.

Comment

I've got a Wiztech combo pH/TDS/temp meter. The only real pain in the butt is that it takes an unusual TDS calibration solution.
                    Coconut Grove
                    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
                    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
                    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
                    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X