Need a good camera for my break-ins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a good camera for my break-ins

I am growing marijuana in a shed in my backyard. They are blooming and doing well but the problem is I am worried about their safety. My neighborhood is well known for break-ins and growing anything outside is not usually safe but the only reason why I decided to grow them outside in a shed was because there was no spare room in my house. I shortlisted a few from this site http://protectionplus.ca/residential/security-cameras/ when I was doing a bit of research online. I have not decided on anything yet and I would love to get more suggestions. If anybody could share your opinions on this, it would be great.

Originally posted by AnnaJoh View Post
    I am growing marijuana in a shed in my backyard. They are blooming and doing well but the problem is I am worried about their safety. My neighborhood is well known for break-ins and growing anything outside is not usually safe but the only reason why I decided to grow them outside in a shed was because there was no spare room in my house. I shortlisted a few from this site http://protectionplus.ca/residential/security-cameras/ when I was doing a bit of research online. I have not decided on anything yet and I would love to get more suggestions. If anybody could share your opinions on this, it would be great.
    You are in the same boat as I am. I already thought ahead too. If legal in your area, then take a look on eBay for alarm/camera system combos, android/IPhone compliant. Not only will you get a peace of mind being able to take a look on your smartphone from anywhere, should someone break in you will get it on camera and the alarm will hopefully shoo them off. You can even take it a step further as most of them have terminals for wires, which makes it easy to sneak in reed switches so if they do manage to get in, moment they lift one of the plants, it sets the alarm off. Security cameras are not that expensive now a days. You can get a few outdoor ones that people won't even see. Don't just put them by the shed either. Cover walkways, doors, and even back yard should someone hop a fence. A while ago my home was getting broken into before I had a system put in. They would take small things that my family wouldn't even notice. After a while, we started noticing, especially after a box of old electronics got stolen from my garage. Turned out to be my neighbor and the got caught being extremely stupid. The theft had taken place two years prior and one day we switched internet providers which required a new router. It was when I was programming it that one of my children's missing tablet showed up requesting access to the internet. It was then I found out it was a neighbor as the tablet was Wi-Fi only.

Comment

• NebulaHaze
      NebulaHaze commented
      Editing a comment
      What a crazy story!

Get a couple of these and anyone in range will set off remote alarm only you can hear. cheep security. These are easily hidden around your home.
    Amazing deals on this 2Pc Motion Detector Alarms at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Comment

I have no idea about alarms tho Lord has a good point about the Android/Iphone compatible ones!!I wouldn't keep the alarm silent tho as DkN suggested since we want to keep the plants,right? Busting someone for stealing ur cannabis is quite awkward in places where u want it kept secret!

What i have on the door of the room the tent is in,are two magnet traps as they are called here that are connected to a pc-motherboard beeper i scrapped off an old pc(you should be able to get them anywhere there's electronics for a couple bucks).What that does is signal me when my dog or cat play ninja going in the room (yes they open doors when working together) with a beep..

You can make them "contacts" work for anything as their only switch is the other part of the magnet (or an equal to magnetic field which would require skills in theft and physics,not ur every day break-in kinda thing) and set off anything with that!!Turn on lights,run an alarm,fake a sound,cut or give power to something (fry the canna-robbers).

Since you got a shed you got tools around,get into DIY and get a rasberryPi platform to make it into all of the above mentioned on your own...

Or just get a pre-setup from amazon or elsewhere and be done with it!!Depends how much time you want to put into it...
      Tent : 4x4

HPS/MH
      600W

LED
      2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
      BioBizzLight Mix
      Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
      Grow , Micro , Bloom , B-52
      Bud Ignitor , Big Bud, Overdrive
      CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals
      Nartak's 1st Grow - Canna Nutes - HPS 600W

Comment

• Nartak
        Nartak commented
        Editing a comment
        Lmao he did it well!!Poor thief will be running mad!

• Lord-Xanthor
        Lord-Xanthor commented
        Editing a comment
        Nartak Your going to find this funnier. I saw my doctor yesterday on a follow-up visit to see how I was adjusting to these new medications and showed him the pictures I share here. He told me he was annoyed at his neighbor who is breeding a lot and keeps using his land for planting. I kidding around offered to give him all the male plants I end up with which would most likely scare his neighbor off but he declined. Who knows, might have actually worked

• Nartak
        Nartak commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha naah man don't do that,what if he ends up getting meds from that guy because he came up with a couple decent strains!! Fence it up and tell him you will be using roundup for weeds (even though i would shoot someone using roundup...) that should scare him far enough lol!

I have four Great Danes for security.
      I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
      Blue Mystic (7 gal)
      VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
      Coco Coir w/30% perlite
      Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Comment

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Big dogs, the very best deterrent! (as long as they don't like weed! LOL)

• Canuck147
        Canuck147 commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly what I was going to say Dagmar - Get a dog!

I got a set of Blink cameras from Amazon. They are battery operated, wireless, motion detection activated. They're not too expensive, and send a short video clip to your phone when set off. You can also peek in on your plants. They are not perfect, but practical.
      Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagmar View Post
        I have four Great Danes for security.
        There you go..thats my guard lol!!!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20161209_155138.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	51700

Attached Files
        Tent : 4x4

HPS/MH
        600W

LED
        2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
        BioBizzLight Mix
        Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
        Grow , Micro , Bloom , B-52
        Bud Ignitor , Big Bud, Overdrive
        CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals
        Nartak's 1st Grow - Canna Nutes - HPS 600W

Comment

Originally posted by Nartak View Post

There you go..thats my guard lol!!!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20161209_155138.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	51700
          I'll put my money on the cat. Several years ago my wife's cat when it was 4 and a half months old, liked picking fights and clawed out one of my window screens to get outside. It took on a German shepherd and a lab and luckily my neighbor was home to get their dogs in. I ran over into their back yard and the kitten was laying in the grass covered in blood and would not move but hissed at anyone who went near it. I put on some heavy work gloves and carefully got him in a pet carrier and rushed him to the vet. I get a call 2 hours later to hear all the blood was from the two dogs and the only thing wrong with the kitten was 3 minor puncture wounds and a small fracture to its hind leg which teaches him a lesson to this day as when it is about to rain, he limps sometimes. I have 3 cats, this one is all muscle which I have never seen in a cat before and glad its on my side because it took on a raccoon last year that got into my home and chased it off after attacking it. Those things are vicious. It loves chirping to my wife like a cat does to birds and talks as much if not more then my kids do. (not human talk, I'm not stoned, YET)

Comment

• Nartak
            Nartak commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahah man yeah ur money is safe on the cat!!Though the two love each other and will not come to bed if one is missing,when they are playing she always wins,he's 14month old Pointer-Lab and he is so soppy it hurts! The only one thing that made the cat run was my sisters toy pincher as the damn thing wouldn't stop chasing after her and jumping to heights she took for cover lol!!

• Lord-Xanthor
            Lord-Xanthor commented
            Editing a comment
            I got to find a way to post videos here. I have a funny one where my daughter is playing with my wife's cat, the one I mentioned above. She is outside tapping the glass and moving her finger around leaving lots of hard to remove fingerprints that most likely were made with a top secret formula of skittles, Hershey chocolate, 4 day old pop tarts, McDonald's French fries, tater tots, Twix candy bar, and also a few sticky and greasy items on top of all that, and sorry, getting way off topic, but anyways...... She is moving her hand all over the glass and Snowy is chasing and following her finger and at the same time hissing, attacking the glass as if he is really trying to break through to kill her or worse. This is a game those two have played for several years ever since he was a kitten, and her giggling had encouraged it to continue this game indefinitely. What it looks like to anyone not knowing these two is a little girl teasing an animal like someone teasing a very vicious dog because its on the other side of the fence. Anyway, I had filmed her playing this game many a times and one day had a police officer over at my home, forgot why, oh, shoot, now I remember. It was because the department had sent him to take a report from my kids after I had found out my daycares idea of caring for my kids while I worked the night shift was to duct tape them to chairs at night, not to mention a lot of other horrible things, but that is another story I'll mention another time. Anyway, the officer had walked into my yard while she was playing this game with the cat and went to get her mom, my wife while I was video taping her. The officer didn't know this was a game with the cat and actually believed it was trying to hurt her. As she went to open the door, the officer made the mistake of grabbing her thinking he was protecting her from getting hurt by my wife's cat. As I mentioned before, this kitty is extremely sweet and only likes to fight dogs for some reason. Anyway, the moment he grabbed her, I discovered the cat was like a guard dog. Snowy went from playing his normal game to watchdog and tore through the Tyvek screen in a matter of seconds and tried to attack the officer. I grabbed him in mid air (the cat, not the officer) and ended up getting raked across my shoulder and stomach, 7 deep cuts. Found out after the cat just barely missed several arteries but got me over the jugular vein but luckily not deep enough. I had to lock him in our bedroom (again the cat, not the officer) , the only room in my house with no windows, otherwise he would have clawed through the screens again just to get at the officer.

• Nartak
            Nartak commented
            Editing a comment
            I barely lit my biff while reading this lol!!Sorry to hear u ran into a problem-child(the nanny) and good catch midair!!Thankfully both the cat and my pooch are buttersoft pur and fur balls...

I use a bayit cam: https://www.amazon.com/AUTOMATION-BH.../dp/B012J3RLMK
          night vision-alerts- records-and you can look at your plants too!
          It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

There are a lot of cameras out there, so one thing to consider is cost. I'm in a similar situation. The things you need to consider most are not that you can get a picture of the intruder or be able to see them ripping you off when you're not home. Even with that knowledge what are you going to do about it? By the time you can do anything they will be long gone. So will your plants. What you need is an immediate means to deter them. Basically scare the "heck" out of them so they take off with their "tail between their legs", or make it very difficult for them to break into the shed.
            I haven't decided on a means yet, but will soon. Lucky for me its legal to grow 6 plants here so I can get a system that sets off an alarm and notifies up to 5 contacts immediately. If the cops or security people come by no big problem but if stealth is an issue then you need to find an alternative.
            A friend has a setup that is maybe a bit over the top- but likely very effective. He has 3 cameras that relay video or stills via cell phone so he can identify them before they get in and if they open the door to the greenhouse_ they only way in_ they will get a very rude surprise. He has a trip wire setup that is set to go off if the door is opened without deactivating the "alarm"...instead of a siren the trip wire sets off a 12 gage shotgun blank_ its only about ten feet from the door and is a very effective deferent. Only bummer is you can't hear anything for a few hours afterwards so make sure you don't open the door without disarming it. No buckshot so no real harm. Less than $30 US. I can get the vendors info if you're interested.
            You also should not get a wifi setup because the intruder can cut the cable at your box and disable the wifi.... so make sure you get one that provides the warning via cell instead.
            Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
            liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

Originally posted by ZigZag View Post
              There are a lot of cameras out there, so one thing to consider is cost. I'm in a similar situation. The things you need to consider most are not that you can get a picture of the intruder or be able to see them ripping you off when you're not home. Even with that knowledge what are you going to do about it? By the time you can do anything they will be long gone. So will your plants. What you need is an immediate means to deter them. Basically scare the "heck" out of them so they take off with their "tail between their legs", or make it very difficult for them to break into the shed.
              I haven't decided on a means yet, but will soon. Lucky for me its legal to grow 6 plants here so I can get a system that sets off an alarm and notifies up to 5 contacts immediately. If the cops or security people come by no big problem but if stealth is an issue then you need to find an alternative.
              A friend has a setup that is maybe a bit over the top- but likely very effective. He has 3 cameras that relay video or stills via cell phone so he can identify them before they get in and if they open the door to the greenhouse_ they only way in_ they will get a very rude surprise. He has a trip wire setup that is set to go off if the door is opened without deactivating the "alarm"...instead of a siren the trip wire sets off a 12 gage shotgun blank_ its only about ten feet from the door and is a very effective deferent. Only bummer is you can't hear anything for a few hours afterwards so make sure you don't open the door without disarming it. No buckshot so no real harm. Less than $30 US. I can get the vendors info if you're interested.
              You also should not get a wifi setup because the intruder can cut the cable at your box and disable the wifi.... so make sure you get one that provides the warning via cell instead.
              The Wi-Fi I mentioned before uses cell phone sim cards. No lines to cut as I use a wireless provider and re-wired the old phone box so if the phone line gets cut, they will actually be breaking a circuit that sets off the alarm system. Heck, a week ago finally convinced my mom to cancel her landline service and go with her cell service and data phone. I had thought landline died out with the dinosaurs long ago .

Comment

• ZigZag
                ZigZag commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, me too. I still have a land line because I need to pay for an internet cable connection to have wifi_ no choice. Our cell coverage isn't fast enough. I've been looking at a lot of different security systems and many them require you to subscribe to a monthly service to have someone come out to check on things if the alarm goes off.... or even to just be able to monitor a camera in real time. What did you end up getting....got any
                recommends?

Then you have to realise using the cell network for video, This will broadcast your grow room image for all the world to see.

Comment

Comment

• ZigZag
                  ZigZag commented
                  Editing a comment
                  YES! now that is a guard dog_very cool and teeth are a much better deterrent than an alarm !

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X