Shell stuck on seedling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shell stuck on seedling

Hey guys! One of my two new seedlings has its shell stuck on it. I assume this is alright? It’ll just come off on its own?

Also she’s leaving quite a bit... will she straighten out?

Not sure how you pop your seeds but I like to soak em in some water with a splash of hydrogen peroxide for 24 hours before either putting them in wet paper towels or directly into the soil. The soaking seems to help for this to not happen so often.

I wait till you are about to turn off the lights and spray a little water on em and most of the time by morning you can just touch it and it'll fall off. If not it will eventually come off maybe spray it daily as lights go off until it does. Some people pick em off to but I have shaky fat fingers and I've killed a few trying
    TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
    s silver haze... strawberry haze...
    .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
    TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
    2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
    TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
    3 gallon pots all autos
    Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
    👇my one n only journal👇
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

Well at least on yours she's pushing out her first set of leaves. Mine i had to finally work it off by moisining with drops of water and then a toothpick. Damage was already done to it and she did not recover so i started another today. Generally they shed them when you drops water on it.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Use something small to pluck or pry the shell off. You already have one set of true leaves, so if the shell damages the cotyledons now, she should be just fine. 👍
        There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
        1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
        2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
        3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

That one should pop right off on its own eventually. You can take a toothpick or anything with a nice point and pop them off if they’re over top of the whole sprout but that one isn’t.

Comment

One way I have found to avoid this problem is to plant your seed a bit deeper in the soil.

Comment

Its not causing a problem, but if you want to take it off, just soak it with water from a dropper or a mister every hr or so..it'll slide right off with the help of a tooth pick.
              Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
              Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
              6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
              Canna Coco/perlite
              General Hydroponics Flora Series
              Cal/Mag.

Tent
              Bruce Banner
              Kushy Kush
              2Cookies and cream

Comment

Thanks everyone. I eventually decided to just use my sterile tweezers to nudge it off. I used a rapid rooter seed starter to plant my latest girls.

One of them (the other, without a seed shell stuck on her) is nice and straight. But this one, even now without the shell, is curved and leaning. My last grow I had the same thing and she never straightened back out, and I had to remove her and replace her with one of my backups.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yes mine did not straighten up and rotted at the neck from bent over.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X