Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best outdoor seed variety for Western NC? Not too tall and best source for same.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best outdoor seed variety for Western NC? Not too tall and best source for same.

Hi all, great site. Thanks to GWE my first and only ever plant was incredible. Friends sent 5 seeds from South Florida . Wow, one worked and produced beautiful specimen. I want to try again. But here in Western NC we have cooler nights below 70 degrees in the spring and summer. I hate to haul the plant in every night! What do you like as the best sativa for this area. Not for sleeping- I am in my 70s and want to wake up in every way possible. Also the last baby grew to 6 feet and topped the fence, so something smaller would be helpful. Must I obtain a few seeds from Holland or would the West Coast suffice? Any recommendations?
    Last edited by BlueRidgeChris; 03-15-2021, 12:48 PM.

I’m in Appalachia as well only slightly north. I don’t grow outdoors but my buddies do and they stick to short flowering strains 8-9wks. Anything that takes longer is a gamble with them cold late sept early oct nights

Comment

I've had outdoor grows in Boone. The seasons are not well suited for sativa. I did grow a Dr Grinspoon one year, but kept it in a screened in patio. Night temps did get below freezing but the plant survived and was harvested in late November - not enough time, it could've used another month I think. Still, it was good smoke. The Doctor was planted in July - which seems late but there is enough time. It got over 6' tall. You can keep the size down by training the plant.

The real challenge to grows in the Blue Ridge is the wet weather and humidity in late summer and fall. Bud rot is very common. This is one reason to plant in July - there is enough time to get size, and the plant doesn't get so large to be susceptible to bud rot. Caterpillars are also a pita but they're everywhere, not just Blue Ridge.

You want to grow spears in the Blue Ridge, long thin buds - these are less susceptible to rot. Many sativas have this characteristic, but pure sativas take longer to flower-mature - one reason to consider a Indica/Sativa hybrid.

Green Crack is one to try. Or White Widow. Top the buds so they're thinner. You can get either strain in the States.

I don't have alot of experience with autos but they're something to consider.

Comment

I went looking for Night Owl Genetics seeds, they're autos with a great reputation and I know they have sativas - but they're either sold out or have low available inventory.

Comment

I agree with Peter’s idea. Why not check out autoflowering sativa strains? Just google it. Many nice selections. If you are worried about them getting too big learn how to train them without topping them. Check out YouTube videos for ideas.
          If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

Many USA seeds distributers now.
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Oh thanks for all the great replies. I so forgot about the bending pruning that I studied last year on this site. So sativa's are tricky here. Something to consider.

Comment

Welcome, BRC.
                I focus primarily on indoor grows for my meds, but I have dabbled with outdoor grows for the past 5 years.
                I'm at the GA/NC line, and as Peter mentioned, it's not uncommon for me to be fogged in until late morning in my cove.
                I've had multiple hybrid strains, some were more susceptible to bud rot than others.
                The weather will usually cooperate till the end of October, but I have had plants out there in mid-November.
                I ran a Jack Herrer last year that I did get to finish, even though it had signs of TMV.

I use a simple cage that allows me to train and support the structure.
                Support is an important consideration when the colas get fat and some weather rolls through.
                I'd also look into some means of emergency cover if a late-season rain shows up.
                I enjoy gardening, that's the real reason I stick random girls outside.
                As far as my preference, I'll take my indoor over any sun-grown every time.
                Last edited by gbauto; 03-15-2021, 09:36 PM.
                WHAT???
                5x5 grow space
                900w of Vero's and F-strips
                4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Can you start them inside under 18/6 or 16/8? Get them started then set them out when the weather permits. Everything I did this way last year flowered as soon as it went outside (ok 2 weeks), all stayed in flower (ya even when the sun hit 14 hours 37 minutes) and I had an early harvest. I also took off ripe buds and re-flowered 2 of them for a second harvest from each.

Comment

If your nights don't get below freezing for more than an hour or two, you can grow anything you want. Inside grow temps do not at all relate to outdoors.

Comment

I think I’m gonna steal your question idea it’s one of those things you didn’t even realize you didn’t know until you see someone else ask it unfortunately I can’t help you out and answer your question but thank you for helping me I hope you find some good strains

ps this comment was saved and posted thanks to that nifty auto save feature that saves every 15-20secs when typing first time it’s saved me ty admins

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X