New Oscillating Fan with pole clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Oscillating Fan with pole clip

I preordered 3 of these new UL approved fans from Growbuds in early January and they arrived today. It’s hard to find a clip on oscillating fan that doesn’t burn out. This also has the nice pole clamp that faces away from the front of the fan much like the vivosun fan’s clamp. That fan is not UL approved and got poor reviews.

I think I will test them in my shop prior to using in my tent. With harvest coming this weekend I don’t need any unknowns in the equation. Like burning 🔥 up my first grow.
    Last edited by MrPNW; 03-04-2021, 03:30 PM.

Equipment
    5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
    ———————————————————————————————————-
    1st Grow
    Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
    Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
    Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Let me know how the build quality is. I’ve been searching for good pole clamps for my existing hardware. If this is any good, I’ll probably order a couple of them.
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

I recently was looking at the growbud fans. They look pretty good. I have one of the Vivosun clip on fans. It's ok but I don't trust it and put in out of commission.
      I replaced it with a 12" wall mount fan by Hurricane.
      5x5 Gorilla tent
      Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
      Infinity T8 exhaust fan
      Technaflora nutes
      Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

I bought a couple of the ultra yield brand off Amazon an I have had one going night and day for the last month and so far so good. Bit they are not UL listed
        Last edited by Booger789; 03-04-2021, 09:04 PM.
        4x4 flower tent
        sour dream
        Blue Diesel
        Trainwreck
        platinum Girl Scout cookies

2x4 veg tent
        Green Dream
        Sour Dream
        blue dream
        Freakshow

Comment

• Booger789
          Booger789 commented
          Editing a comment
          I run them on a good surge protector and I have 2 amp fuse inline so if it so much as even try’s to over current it pops a fuse. I am an Hvac contractor. I am pretty familiar with motors and motor protection

• YYCannabis
          YYCannabis commented
          Editing a comment
          I think 90% of stuff from Amazon is not UL listed. Every Vivosun fan I have bought has had failures. Once i discovered one, I decided to check all my Vivosun stuff and most of them had shitty soldering issues.

• MrPNW
          MrPNW commented
          Editing a comment
          The number of Vivosun failures is huge. They removed the fan from amazon yet continue to sell it on their website. When I contacted them about getting one of the clamps they told me I needed to buy the whole fan. I told them its not on amazon and they confirmed that. So why sell all your other products there, but not the fan. Because it’s dangerous.

There’s a few videos on YouTube taking the better pole clamps and adapting them to reliable oscillating fans like the 8” Lil’ Blizzard. I have one of those (mrcanuck recommend) and its gone non-stop since october.
          Last edited by MrPNW; 03-16-2021, 07:30 PM.

Super reliable floor/tabletop oscillating fan. I ran it non-stop from October to March.
        8” Lil’ Blizzard

If you’ve got a broken Vivosun or Secret Jardin pole fan, folks are adapting these Blizzard fans to the clamps.
        Last edited by MrPNW; 03-16-2021, 07:34 PM.

Equipment
        1st Grow
        Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

• Rik
          Rik commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you know how people are adapting these lil blizzards to their tent poles?

• MrPNW
          MrPNW commented
          Editing a comment
          Here’s an example on YouTube Rik .
          Koot shows his DIY Oscillating Fan Hack for Clip-On, Pole Mount & Wall mount. Great for small tent situations.18+ adult entertainment. Legal Medical Cannabis...
          Last edited by MrPNW; 03-29-2021, 07:44 PM.

How’s that fan working out for you?

The photo you posted indicates the UL listing next to the power cord description. In some products, the cord itself is UL listed but not the rest of the unit. There’s probably a UL sticker on the cord itself, but is there a UL sticker on the back of the fan? I’m worried they may be pulling the wool over our eyes here. I want to buy this one because it looks functionally awesome, but I think that only the cord is UL listed and that may be a deal breaker.

MrPNW, what do you see on the back of the unit?

Comment

Sorry about that, I thought I had posted a link.

They just arrived before my harvest and i haven’t had a chance to test. I’ll plug them into the shop this weekend and let all 3 run non-stop.

Equipment
          1st Grow

Comment

The problem I have had with pole fans is that the mount doesn't push the fan out enough. When the tent walls suck in a bit the fan hits the tent and eventually burns it out.

Comment

• PLreef
              PLreef commented
              Editing a comment
              I use a high cfm kit from gorilla. Just a couple horizontal poles to keep the walls from sucking in.

• MrPNW
              MrPNW commented
              Editing a comment
              PLreef
              You might be interested, bit just after I bought a couple cfm kits for my tent I wanted more points where I could hang equipment or add poles around or between double doors. So I found some camping tent c-clips that can easily be glued into 3/4 electrical conduit, which comes in 10’ links ready to cut to size. The “C” end of the clip fits the GGT pole diameter perfectly and wrap further around the pole than the stock kits do.
              Now that my current grow is out of the way, I’m planning to work on this project.

15 bucks UL listed and not one of the 10 I've been running 24/7 have failed YET I have two extra in my closet as backup if one stops throw it out and order another. I spent more money on my first three fans than all 10 of these
            Last edited by MeEasy; 03-21-2021, 09:34 PM.
            TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
            s silver haze... strawberry haze...
            .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
            TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
            2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
            TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
            3 gallon pots all autos
            Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
            👇my one n only journal👇
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• Rik
              Rik commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like a decent deal. Do you have these in tents? I have trouble with my Air King clip on fan holding on to the pole, had to add zip tie support.

• MeEasy
              MeEasy commented
              Editing a comment
              Rik I hang them from the same light ratchet ropes (can use any string or rope though) one on each wall making them adjustable up n down and one clipped to the top pointing straight down at the top of my light. Same in all three tents and one over the driver outside the 4x4 I'll add a couple pics to the post up there if I can or do a new post

Edit = here's the Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              Last edited by MeEasy; 03-21-2021, 09:39 PM.

• Rik
              Rik commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool, thanks for that great info MeEasy

OK I hung all three fans in my shop on slow of 2 speeds. The speed appear to be the fan blade speed.

The only UL marking I could find Rik anywhere on the fan was the pressed in line of information into the cord itself and that is hard to see. There are no DO NOT remove labels found on the cord nor any marking anywhere on the body, blades, screen frame or clamp. Nothing, nada.

So besides to UL mark on the box that’s it.

If these fans haven’t burned out or up in a couple weeks I’ll hang them in the tent at the angle they were meant to hang. I figure the angle they are hanging at now should test there strength.
            Last edited by MrPNW; 03-27-2021, 08:03 PM.

Equipment
            1st Grow

Comment

• Rik
              Rik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks MrPNW for that info. I hate to say it but I suspect the cord is the only part that is UL listed and that the fan itself is not. If it were me, I probably wouldn’t use it.

I just bought one of these and put it in my tent:

Whole Room Circulation Oscillation On-Demand Moves Air 75 ft. 4 Speed Touch Control Energy Saving 3/6/9/12 Hour Timer Remote Control 37" Height 5 Year Warranty

It’s sold out on Vornado’s website but you can get it on Amazon for $90. We’ll see how it holds up. It is ETL listed and I like the Vornado brand.

• MrPNW
              MrPNW commented
              Editing a comment
              One of my work duties is the ordering of equipment from computer related to fans for 75 staff. Years ago I bought everyone a Vornado VH101 750w desk fan. I bought that model for years without a problem.
              Then in 2018 we were told to collect them all, due to a recall, and purchase the replacement model, the VH200. I got a shipment and within 4 months they all started dying, just stopped working one after another. For whatever reason they chose to replace perfectly working ones I don’t know, but to replace our working fans that ran year after year with something that broke so soon after I stopped buying Vornado. Had it been a single fan I probably wouldn’t have been so angry with the company. Yeah I know it was still under warranty but what a hassle, I just moved to buying a different brand.

Now after boring you with my fan rant Rik, I am interested in the longevity of that model from them.

I don’t have a Vivosun fan but if anyone does, can you look at my photo and tell me if it looks like Growbuds may have done a deal with them and just did a black version with their logo branded on it?

Equipment
            1st Grow

Comment

do you think that because it oscillates 180 degrees, that could be a problem? most people clamp the fans on the tent poles, with only allow 90 degrees. i had two on the vivosun, they both lasted about 6 months. i use there clamp base, for some non oscillating fans.

Comment

It sure sounds like the next great feat in the cannabis grow world will be to market a pole mount fan w/90 degree oscillation that is UL certified and can stand the test of time.
                3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
                New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
                Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
                5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

• MrPNW
                  MrPNW commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m going to contact Holmes, the maker of my blizzard fan and let them know the opportunity they could have. My blizzard is the perfect candidate for this.

MrPNW I'll take a look at mine and let you know.
                5x5 Gorilla tent
                Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
                Infinity T8 exhaust fan
                Technaflora nutes
                Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

I just sent an Email to Growbuds asking for the UL certification.

Equipment
                  1st Grow

Comment

• MrPNW
                    MrPNW commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah Rik I mention in my post on 03-27-2021, 02:09 PM, there is nothing on the fan but the cord stamping. Besides that, just the box UL logo. I’m in agreement this doesn’t appear to be listed. I guess we’ll see if they even answer my Email.

• Rik
                    Rik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry if it seems like I’ve been pestering you MrPNW, I definitely don’t mean to. I guess I’m a bit overkill on these kinds of things, especially when I catch companies outright lying. I only want to make sure I’m clear for everyone reading that these fans might not be as safe as they appear. But yeah, you and I seem to agree and have a common understanding.

• MrPNW
                    MrPNW commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not at all Rik, nobody needs a tent or house fire due to falsely advertised equipment. The moment I noticed the cable didn’t have one of those do not remove stickers wrapped around it I had my doubts.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X