Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grow tent just a tad too tall, modifications??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grow tent just a tad too tall, modifications??

HI! Setting up for my very first grow, purchased full grow kits from Green Sunshine Co, in this particular one I have a 5 x 5 Secret Jardin DR150 and its 92.5" tall... I have roughly 91.5" of height in my basement. If I were to modify the tent by cutting the poles only about an inch, and pulling the tent tight at the bottom, does this sound feasible? Anyone have experience with this same issue? It's literally such a SMALL amount!
    4 x 4 Secret Jardin (Veg)
    2- ES 180's V3 (Green Sunshine Company)
    AC Infinity T6

5 x 5 Secret Jardin (Flower)
    2- ES 300's V3 (Green Sunshine Company)
    AC Infinity T6

Black Gold Natural & Organic Ultra Coir
    Green Gro Pride Lands organic nutrients
    Smart Pots (15 gallon)

Cut of the poles, is what I would have done.
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• QueenofOG
      QueenofOG commented
      Editing a comment
      Thinking this is what we will do, just trying to gameplan it with my hubby today!

Cutting them sounds good. Wonder if they might just flex that little bit ?
    Focus and relativity.

Comment

• QueenofOG
      QueenofOG commented
      Editing a comment
      They definitely won't flex, it's fairly hardcore sturdy tent... running it all by the hubby again and hoping we can figure out a plan! Thanks for the input!

I would be careful flexing them as you will be hanging equipment off the frame. It will be a lot stronger if the poles are straight not flexed to start with.
    Maybe with light equipment it’s not a problem if cutting them is not possible
    KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
    Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
    Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
    Maybe some compost teas
    Blumat watering system
    Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
    3x4x6’ tent
    Photontek 465wpro
    6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
    Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

• QueenofOG
      QueenofOG commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, and I don't think they will flex anyway... its pretty sturdy and doesn't give.

Once you cut the poles the tent will not fit the frame properly.
    Space for Rent.

Comment

• Smallgrow
      Smallgrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya I was trying to remember how my Vivosun brand fit together, that could defiantly be a problem. Maybe you could cut the corner pieces instead ?

• QueenofOG
      QueenofOG commented
      Editing a comment
      If I cut the poles just an inch... As for the little bit extra of tent fabric, I would pull it down towards the bottom so that the top fits tight, and hold the bottom tight with industrial style clips. (So I don't have to compromise the durability of the tent itself) I do have the space booster bars that will go in there as well, therefore not allowing it to pull in when exhaust fan is going. I hope that makes sense how I'm describing it...?

• CaptainWiese91
      CaptainWiese91 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cut and duct tape for the win.

My tent with the extra height kit just barely fit under my ceiling. 3/8" under. I actually had to drape over the top and then assemble the frame under it. Otherwise I wouldn't have had the room to put the skin on.
    I would be real leary about bending those poles too much. You could potentially lose strength in the frame. You could definitely cut an inch off the poles though. Only issue being is that the tent fabric will droop a little and would pull in alot if you have all your door closed and the exhaust fan going.
    5x5 Gorilla tent
    Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
    Infinity T8 exhaust fan
    Technaflora nutes
    Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• QueenofOG
      QueenofOG commented
      Editing a comment
      This was my thought since it was only an inch, and then as far as the little bit extra of tent fabric, I would pull it down towards the bottom so that the top fits tight, and hold the bottom tight with industrial style clips. I do have the space booster bars that will go in there as well, therefore not allowing it to pull in when exhaust fan is going.

Or you can get a tent that's the right size and save a little trouble. Will they take the tent back?

Comment

• QueenofOG
      QueenofOG commented
      Editing a comment
      Well of course there's that option, lol! I'm sure they will/would.... but I think now I can make this one work, it's such a small amount, so between my husband and I, I'm confident now that we will make it work and not be a problem. Thankfully we are handy... just was looking to see if anyone has had some experience with the same thing and has some genius hack for such a small amount!

Just an update... cut the poles only about 1.5" and it still worked out perfect!!!
    Attached Files
    4 x 4 Secret Jardin (Veg)
    2- ES 180's V3 (Green Sunshine Company)
    AC Infinity T6

5 x 5 Secret Jardin (Flower)
    2- ES 300's V3 (Green Sunshine Company)
    AC Infinity T6

Black Gold Natural & Organic Ultra Coir
    Green Gro Pride Lands organic nutrients
    Smart Pots (15 gallon)

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      That's great ya dodged the first grow bullet LOL

Glad to hear it. It doesn't look too baggy. Now get that tent filled up!!
    5x5 Gorilla tent
    Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
    Infinity T8 exhaust fan
    Technaflora nutes
    Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• QueenofOG
      QueenofOG commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, right!! Got the babies in veg tent right now!! Thanks!!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X