Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for an outside grow

Hi folks.

I am going to try a 6 plant (feminized, photo) outside grow this year. I need some advice about soil.

Does anyone growing outside make a hot/organic soil for outside - like this ? Do I dig the hole the size of a 10 gal pot?

All counsel, advice, guidance, stories and pictures of dogs welcomed and appreciated.

Some info about where in the world you plan to grow. Most important what latitude. Best to grow in large containers outdoors but with a lot of exceptions. Some natural soils are ideal for weed. Many need quite a bit of amending.I grow outdoors only but in a very special situation. Desert. I am glad to help but a little more info would help.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
      TOKABIGONE commented
      Editing a comment
      Great guard pup!

• billyboy
      billyboy commented
      Editing a comment
      Cute pup. Now my GF is asking if we can get a third dog! :-)

I have two worm compost bins going all year long and recycle much of my soil through them. I don't grow in the ground but in 5 gallon containers so keeping the soil alive can be a bit more of a challenge than in ground grows. However, I used to have the luxury of growing in the ground and the results were phenomenal. I would dig my hole around 2 1/2 feet deep and about 2 feet wide. Often I would put a small bonito or mackerel near the bottom for a natural nitrogen kick and not worry about fertilizing the rest of the season other than some occasional blackstrap to keep the microbes and bacteria happy. Nothing compares to a plant grown in the ground. Good luck

Comment

I took some food grade 55 gallon plastic barrels and cut rings, they are open on the bottom. I set these on weed control cloth to keep grass from growing in, the roots do find a way out so they get to the soil below. Then fill them with my own organic soil, the rings get the girls up off the ground so if/when it gets to wet, they still drain.
      When we planted straight into the ground the soil was worked at least 3 feet deep. MJ is a deep rooted plant.

Comment

We are in Massachusetts. Lat 42.567370

I'll start them inside and hope to get them in the ground just after the last frost. The soil recipe call for a 45-60 day cook so trying to plan around that and work back to know when to get the amendments in there. I am just trying to think through what we'll need to do to get the garden prepped as the weather turns. All the hot soil stuff I read says to fill 1/3 -1/2 of the pot with the hot soil and the rest with unamended soil used for the base. Does the same sort of thing apply for outside?

I am looking at strains that say they are an early October harvest. Any later than that and the cold rains will give me a whole lot of bud rot.

Not going to use a pot - going into the ground.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Good morning billyboy good for you getting things prepped for outdoors. Get some tall bamboo poles for tepee an supports. Prep for the worst hope for the best is how i have prepped in the past. You know how to grow, we just got to be ready for what ever weather comes. When we use to do gurilla grows we'd pile the soil next to the holes we dug at least 10gal round backfill with composted barnyard composted poo & hay mixed with the soil we removed an let it rest/cook. When it's time to plant re dug the hole.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X