Opinions on COB LED lights needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on COB LED lights needed

I'm looking to supplement my current lighting which is pretty good for veg right now IMHO. I'm still in veg but almost ready for switch. I have 2 Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum boards above the girls now and they are doing ok with those at 200w total draw but could be better. I already know I'll want more in bloom so I'm looking at Amazon but being retired, I'm on a pretty limited budget. So I'm looking at some lower end led COBs to supplement them. I've found 2 possibilities so far:

1, ldmhlho Niello D600 3 bulb 210w draw with ppfd @ 740 umol/m2 at 18" height. I would like 2 but can only afford 1 for this grow.at $118 each.

2. PD Grow 300WN 2 bulb 100w draw with ppfd @ 192 umol/m2 at 18" height. I can afford 2 at $49 each.

Anyone have thoughts or opinions please?
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

Check out the Optic xl1 COB it's a little pricy but it was a little brother(54w) for much less.
    5x5 Gorilla tent
    Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
    Infinity T8 exhaust fan
    Technaflora nutes
    Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
      TOKABIGONE commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks PL but $200 for 1 54w bulb ain't gonna cut it. I have a week to think about it, then order before I switch.

Or maybe I'll just go ahead and get a 3rd Bloomspect 100w fora total of 300w during bloom. They have a very good spectrum including the green waves as well as UV and infra red. They're only $89 right now and that's still a very good price for the quality even tho I paid $79 on sale 2 months ago.

Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Are they pulling 100w true watts from the wall?
      5x5 Gorilla tent
      Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
      Infinity T8 exhaust fan
      Technaflora nutes
      Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes the 2 bulb is 100w true and the 3 bulb is 210w true. At least that's what they claim. They are Chinese after all.

how about the cobshop.net

3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
      New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
      Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
      5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll go look now. Thx

Well their offline now or out to lunch. Saw a few single bulb ones listed on sale there. Man those babies are PRICEY!! I guess it's late. I'll look more tomorrow. Thanks folks!

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Well, after several more hours of researching other lights to supplement my 2 SS1000 Boomspect Quantums at 100 true watts each, I've reached a decision. I looked at the available COBS and I believe this newest approach to LED technology is right now too expensive for any benefit, as is any product still in development.Even a DIY build of these is costly. I also looked at CMH lights and feel the cons still outweigh the pros in expense, heat issues and longevity. Therefore I'm going to purchase another SS1000. At the current price of $89 and the quality of the light having SM 301B LEDs,w/ Red and IR diodes, Mean Well drivers and PPFD and PAR values exactly the same as the SF 1000 at twice the price, they simply can't be beat for my needs and budget. They claim a 2.5 ft sq veg footprint and a 2 ft sq bloom footprint which I believe is pretty accurate from my short 2 months of experience with 2 of them. I could probably finish with the 2 I have but I want the extra 100 watts yield that 300 total watts will give me and as 3 of these will fit the 46" wide pvc rack I built with 3 in mind, I can be up and running 5 min after I unbox them. And NO I am not trying to sell or promote these to anyone else. Sometimes I Click image for larger version

Name:	Grow Journal - Cabinet operational.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	489963 just have to convince myself I've done my due diligence and it's a good idea to spend the money. Scotch ancestry I think, lol!

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• gbauto
          gbauto commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you made a good decision.
          10 sq ft of canopy will need 300 watts of lm301b diodes for really good results.

Yesterday AM just after my last post, I went to big A and pushed the order button. Just now checked tracking and it is at my local PO ready for delivery this AM. I'm 60 miles N of Phoenix. 24 hour delivery is incredible! I'll have it running before noon. i'm excited!

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

I would hate to go back to live without Amazon! Enjoy the new light!

Comment

OK, got my lighting dialed with 300 watts + - 3%. My manifold training is now complete and my LST 95% to allow the side branches to grow to the edge of the pot for top separation. They will now be allowed to grow upward another 8" before the switch to flower in about 10 more days. They will be 10 weeks in veg at that point. The additional LST for sideways growth added about a week to my veg time. I should have enough space for 22 to 24 inches of flower growth. There are a multitude of bud sites developing nowso I just need to keep the canopy as flat as possible. They were pretty dry today after a week with no water or nutes so I gave a light watering as I plan to feed tomorrow and then alternate water and nutes at 3 day intervals as bloom progresses.

My one clone is doing well too. I did no training except I fimed at the 5th node. Several side branches are growing as a result. She will flower with the others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210213_131721_2826.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	490294Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210213_131817_7887.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	490295Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210213_131838_8526.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	490296Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210213_131850_97.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	490297Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210213_131902_9492.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	490298Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210213_131910_101.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	490299

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• RetiredGuy
              RetiredGuy commented
              Editing a comment
              Good looking grow

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X