Hair of the dog Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Hair of the dog Help!

When I checked in on the Girls they had loads of new hair overnight.... Bad news is they are Husky and German Shepard hairs.... I caught some hidden PM. Did a great cleaning then left my door open overnight with extra fans. Now everything is covered in dog hair. Aside from painstakingly plucking buds with a tweezers at trim , any suggestions? Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Old school outdoor renegade finally indoors and legit.
    5x5 DIY flower room with 3 nets. 600w Hid mars hydro 600(100w) and Chinese led (150w actual).. Promix C coco mix +20% course perlite. General hydro nutes at slightly under full dose+ cal mag and molasses every other water.
    wishing you peace on your particular path....

As far as I know, there is nothing you can do except pick them off by hand 1 at a time like you mentioned.

Comment

No help except keep plucking. LOL. I opened my tent the other day and saw a couple webs and and said oh damn and reached in to get rid of them only to realize they were a couple of my long gray hairs. 😁

Comment

That's funny. I found a few long grey hairs too...mine. Those are really easy to spot and remove. Plus I am balding...less to worry about each grow. Thanks
        5x5 DIY flower room with 3 nets. 600w Hid mars hydro 600(100w) and Chinese led (150w actual).. Promix C coco mix +20% course perlite. General hydro nutes at slightly under full dose+ cal mag and molasses every other water.

Comment

My grow space is in an outbuilding and my dogs don't get in. However, their favorite spot in the house is setting in my lap (miniature dachshunds). They shed on me and I transport it into the grow room. During flower on my last grow I started wearing a lab coat because I couldn't believe the amount of dog hair I was finding on the buds.
          2'X4' Nursery tent with Mars Hydro SP150 LED
          5'X5' Grow tent with 2 Mars Hydro SP3000 LEDs
          Fox Farm soil and nutes
          Rain water

Comment

Try this- I used it for removing pine tree larf on the outdoor plants last year. Get s shop vac and a piece of 3/8 vinyl tubing about 2-3 feet long. Place one end of the tubing in the hose of the vac about 6 inches deep, then duct tape in place. Now get a second piece of duct tape and place it partially over the remaining portion of the hose opening. The idea here is to create moderate suction in the 3/8 hose. You will have to adjust how much you cover & and leave open to adjust the suction. You are looking for the sweet spot where the suction in the 3/8 tube will pick up the hair but not destroy your buds.
            Last edited by Ckbrew; 01-21-2021, 10:52 AM.
            Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Yoopergarden
              Yoopergarden commented
              Editing a comment
              I couldn't get this dialed in. The venturi effect is so strong sugar leaves were getting sucked and rippong off or blocking the airflow. I am thinking a airbed inflater reverse engineered for vacuum. I will know better next time.

• Ckbrew
              Ckbrew commented
              Editing a comment
              Even with no tape on the empty space on the end of the vac hose? Try tubing inserted shallower in hose, or try cutting a vent hole in the side of the shop vac hose to reduce the vacuum in the tubing. I had to work to find the right suction in the tube, but it sure beat tweezers. See pix in post below.

Pick them off or wait till they fall off when you dry it. If there’s a few left just pick them when you get to them. No big deal

Comment

I have a cat who is a fiend and loves to chew on the leaves (he once forced his way in once and nibbled a couple of week old seedlings down to the nub). Have had to go to extremes to "barricade" the grow room door, but still allow enough for ventilation.
              *sigh* the growing guides don't cover these types of plant pests ;-)

Comment

I usually try and get most of the hair when I hang them up, and then more when I trim. I have 5 dogs and they shed like crazy so I'm always tracking it in my tents. No real easy fix for that honestly. Sticks so bad to the trichomes, even a vacuum wouldn't pull them off.

Comment

Keep pulling ‘em when ya see ‘em. I’ve noticed that dog hairs are almost easier to spot when i take pics of the plants...not sure why. 😕
                  There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
                  1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
                  2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
                  3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

collie hair tastes good, Shepard hair, not so much!

Comment

Use a clear tape and roll inside out so the sticky side covers the tape and roll around your buds gently. You can use one of those rollers made to remove lint and hairs off of suits too

Comment

Maybe a bud wash? That what outdoor growers do to get rid of dirt and who know what else from the outdoor elements.

Comment

• Floopydoop
                          Floopydoop commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yep, the 3 bucket method seems scary AF the first time, but it only added to my drying time by a few hours.
                          Took off gobs of nasties stuck on the buds I couldn't even see.

Baking Soda, lemon juice, and clean water. Add another bucket and peroxide if you suspect WPM.

Dunk em semi aggressively for like 30 seconds each bucket. Finish with water, shake em off and hang dry with a fan moving air.

I had planned on the the bucket wash as an experiment on part of the harvest anyway for comparison. I will try to get as much a possible off before hand cuz I fear they will be impossible to remove after submerging in the sticky bud... Thanks for all the great input so far. I will share the outcome.

Comment

So far the mixed approach of sticky tape and tweezers is working best. Pick than contain. Suction was hard to manage and the buds are so damn sticky. (Never thought that could be a negative). I will jist burn one...chill and wait for them to finish and know better next run. Thanks again

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X