Culinary Solvent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Culinary Solvent?

I live in a state that is illegal for weed and Everclear. I found this site (Culinary Solvent) that makes 190 and 200 proof, human grade alcohol. The site looks legit and says their product is made for tinctures, among other uses but states "not for human consumption". They say this is to get around laws that would prevent them from being able to ship to every state. Has anybody tried this for tinctures?
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

Ethanol above 95% (190 proof) is made with special procedures. Once exposed to the air it will draw water from the air and dilute itself back down to 95% (this is why ethanol in gasoline is ruining everyone's old engines), so don't pay more for 100% vs 95%. That said, with out seeing the label you will have to decide if it is save for consumption, not denatured. As an alternative, you can try 151 proof rum if that is available. The other option would be to set up a still and make it yourself from 80 proof vodka. You want to set up a system that will allow you to recover the ethanol for re-use. If you just let it boil off this will get expensive fast (also an extreme fire hazard).
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

For tincture I would recommend food grade alcohol. If it says "Not for human consumption", I wouldn't trust it as a tincture or edibles of any kind. Just my opinion.

Comment

• PuravidaC
        PuravidaC commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, dphipps1020, I worded it incorrectly, it does say food grade but the "not for human consumption" part throws me too. Not sure how comfortable I am with the "getting around the shipping regulations" part.

• dphipps1020
        dphipps1020 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think I would be comfortable with it either. If it's accessible somewhere nearby your area, you could always take a road trip? Or as was also mentioned, a lower grade alcohol will work too. I've never tried it with anything but the 420 Extractor (Colorado version of Everclear) so I can't say how it would turn out, but it's an option at least.

151 rum or a good strong vodka will also work.
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

One reason they may say "Not for human~" is it will kill you to partake in slightly to much of it. I looked on-line at this stuff and found most places are very over priced. Can you get 190 just over the state line?

Comment

Rwise I couldn't find much online other than their website. Yes it's rather expensive but the closest place for me to get Everclear is two states away! I vacationed in SC the last time I made a batch of tinc but Covid makes that more difficult now. Was hoping I could find more info here.
          315 LEC
          6" Carbon filter
          3- 6" fans
          humidifier
          temp and humidity gauge
          FF trio nutrients

Comment

Ckbrew My understanding about making tinctures is the higher the proof the better. I have only used Everclear in the past but the closest place for me to get is two states away and Covid makes that much more difficult. I live about 30 miles from "the moonshine capital of the world" and have a decent understanding of what it takes to make alchohol, with the right equipment. I have also heard horror stories about less that ethical moonshiners using car radiators for condensation!! 😱
            315 LEC
            6" Carbon filter
            3- 6" fans
            humidifier
            temp and humidity gauge
            FF trio nutrients

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X