Washing buds with mold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing buds with mold

Last grow i grew one Chocolope and the buds were super dense. She’s been curing 4wks now, everything seemed fine until the other evening. When I went to shake the jar around I noticed a few buds seemed fuzzy. I took them out to make sure it wasn’t just the light reflection and yep, mold. I smoked one joint from this plant a couple weeks ago as a test and it was stellar. Tasted like chocolate, excellent daytime high and no spent feeling once the buzz was gone.

I’ve been doing some research and found a few articles on how to get rid of the mold by fully submerging the buds under water in a airtight container and exchanging the water everyday until it’s clear. Theoretically it made sense so I gave it a shot. Well now I’m at the point where the water is completely clear but before I consumed any I figured what better place to ask about this or any other procedure to get rid of mold.

Has anyone out there tried to do what I’m doing or any other method to get rid of moldy buds and how did it go?

Im not looking for health advice. Only feedback from those who actually have real experience trying to salvage their buds rather than toss them out. When I started growing years ago my first crop all molded. Every single jar was all fuzzy and I smoked every last gram with no repercussions. I was in my 20’s then. Now I’m mid 40’s so maybe I’m slightly more cautious.

I've done this before but of course that is with fresh bud. https://vimeo.com/275728566

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      That was actually one of the videos I watched! Another one the guy had a jar of moldy buds like mine that he soaked in a jar filled with water then each day he’d empty and refill until it was clear. Everyday I was pouring some nasty looking crap out, even a moldy film on top of the water. Now it’s just clear with no residue but I haven’t dried it to try out yet.

Mine smells like dirt/musky not what i wanted from OGKush outdoor this year. I don't know what i did wrong but it's not tasty, i'm blaming fires smoke damage, crappy revegg.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
      Editing a comment
      I can only imagine what outdoor bud from your area smells like this year

It really is crappy i'll admit but when i ask to see the outdoor weed from Oregon at local dispensaries ( well one was a real a-hole won't say name but big here 6 or so dispensaries) i asked budtender to look at outdoor an if he knew where it was grown? OMG he took this jar of Thin Mint Cookies held it like a football sideways kept rolling it around. Hold still i said i want to view closer he just behaved poorly, i touched the jar he flipped out. I walked out i will not give one dime to this place again.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
      Editing a comment
      In my mind, if the employees at a dispensary were a bunch of pricks I’d just assume their weed is bunk anyways lol. It’s hard to be a jerk if you’re smoking good bud

My brother worked for a commercial grower and they were doing tests on washing buds and the state was there to watch so they could later take the weed and run tests on it. This was so the state could decide if it was ok to sell buds after they had been washed. They washed the buds in three containers one with baking soda lemon juice and water, one hydrogen peroxide and water, one pure tap water. I was there the day of the washing and it was crazy how much crap came off the weed, but I never saw the testing results probably wouldn't know how to read it anyways. The state approved for them to sell the washed buds. So I know that washing them is ok but these buds didn't have mold on them well at least I don't think so. We weren't in on what they were doing we were there welding some AC stands. But we were nosey enough to get to watch em wash some of it
    TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
    s silver haze... strawberry haze...
    .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
    TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
    2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
    TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
    3 gallon pots all autos
    Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
    👇my one n only journal👇
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• Floopydoop
      Floopydoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, washed mine in the same way. The amount of crap that came off the plants was amazing. In ALL of the buckets.

Slimy greasy "something". Only extended the wet trim enough time to enjoy some pizza and adult beverages till they were dried off enough with a large box fan goin.

Entire summer of antifafires on the west coast this year. Prolly washed off some Reebok residue or something.

I washed mine (had 6 ea 32 oz jars of Bruce Banner go moldy on me a few years back). I did what you guys say above basically a water cure, drowning the the mold to kill it. In the end I just used it to make RSO as I had other for wife to smoke. RSO turned out fine.
    3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
    New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
    Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
    5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
      Editing a comment
      Sweet! That’s what I been holding out to hear before I tossed them 👍🏻 I like your idea! A little hesitant to smoke it and a nervous about making butter for edibles as well. RSO or tincture may be the safer route. I added peroxide to the water for a little extra disinfectant, cooking it in alcohol for tincture or RSO should finish it off. Thanks buddy!

• Drekthar
      Drekthar commented
      Editing a comment
      np and wife is still alive and well so cold not have been too bad.

I wasted a bunch of very nice Glue and some NL this year that molded on me. I've got to remember to bust those big, dense colas down into individual buds when drying. Maybe I'll try this washing method when it happens again (hopefully it won't be too soon lol).

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X