Drooping plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drooping plant

Hi, I am a beginner novice. I have a miracle grow hydroponic set up, with a fish tank bubbler and two plants growing, a purple punch sativa and a 24k hybrid. Two days ago the purple punch began having droopy leaves and stems. I test ph daily, and keep it between 5.8 and 6.3. I am using Tiger Bloom fertilizer with 2-8-4 along with hydrogaurd root protector. The roots look healthy. I have no idea why this is happening? Could it be nitrogen? Any advice would be appreciated greatly!! Thanks

I grow in coco so I could be completely wrong but I see two plants sharing nutrients, one is fine and one is wilted so I doubt its anything wrong with your nutrients. Just out of curiosity what do the roots of the healthy plant look like? The one that is wilting is losing out on nutrients and oxygen to the other plant is my guess. I'd separate them asap you could save the wilting one and if not to save the other one before the wilting one causes problems.

Comment

Here is a photo of both root system. I have split the bubbles so they each have a stone under the roots.
      Thank you for the thoughts.

Comment

Are you sure the air is splitting evenly? Most air pumps have multiple discharge connections. It would be better to run separate lines to each air stone. Also make sure your air pump is big enough. You can google to find sizing recommendations.

Also make sure you are not pinching the tubing when replacing the top cover.

Comment

Could it be the miracle grow light is not powerful enough? I did research and it is only 45 watts. What is the minimum wattage recommendation for hydro plants?

Comment

I'm in a similar situation.
          I'm only growing 1 plant, and I use high quality nutes - General Hydroponics all 3 (Gro-Micro-Bloom) along with Hydroguard. It's not my first rodeo - been growing in hydro for about 5 years. I've had other issues and learned from mistakes.
          But this is really odd. It's a new strain for me, Acapulco Gold, and is a Fem seed, but not auto flower. At least it's not supposed to be auto flower.

About 4 days ago (roughly 6 weeks from germination), I noticed (I check the plant daily) that the plant is happy, healthy standing up and soaking up light from the time the light goes on through about 14 hours. Just after that 13 to 14 hours, the plant droops like it's got a problem. The branches stay up as they should. It's only the leaves that droop.

The roots are good. The plant gets plenty of water (obviously in hydro), can't be over watered, and I watch the temp and RH (humidity) carefully. I did notice the humidity dropped to about 50% recently, so I started spraying water on the "surrounding" area so that the leaves do not get sprayed directly (leaf burn would be a problem then).
          I made sure to spray heavy after the light went out each night, and then again just before I got to bed (still before the light comes on again).
          Even though the humidity increased to around 65%, that didn't have any effect on the drooping.

I change the reservoir weekly on Saturday - today. When I was changing the water today, I saw a really, really happy plant. It's color is perfection and everything about it is perfection - until about 13 hours into the light. About that 13th hour the plant is drooping. Not the branches - just the leaves.

During the 8 hours the light is off, the plant regains its happiness, but then droops pretty badly (although not as bad as a lot of images I've seen here), then comes right back by the time the light turns on again the next day.
          So it's happy for about 12 hours of light or more, then gets "tired".

The timer was set for 18/6 because it was still vegging until today when I switched it to bloom. So as of today, it's 12/12. But, I just went to check on it and saw that it's drooping again. It's at it's 14th hour, so drooping is again happening.
          Hopefully, tomorrow that won't happen again.

One theory I had was that, even though it was supposed to be a non-auto, there is something in the genetics that the plant was trying to switch to bloom on its own and didn't want that much light. But it didn't start that until early this last week. It's roughly in its 7th week of growth. I just finished training the plant (LST) last weekend and wanted to give it a bit more growth before switching to bloom.
          Another thing I found today was a piece of cardboard in the tank. I fished that and any small pieces out and couldn't think of what that came from. I remembered that I tried to add a bit of support (before starting the grow) to one of the holes where the drain pump exits to drain the tank. I'm guessing that came loose, even though it was glued in place, and fell down into the tank from the top where it was "secured".

Another theory I have now is that maybe, for whatever reason, since I've always had good luck with the air pump and stone I have, perhaps Acapulco Gold needs more oxygen in the water. The cardboard was actually floating over the stone. So I wandered over the Amazon and bought another pump which is a dual hose pump. I also bought another stone. I'll get them around the 15th of this month.

Like I said. I looked at the roots and they look really good. I removed all of the cardboard, then thought it would be a good idea to drain and refill the tank again - for the second time today. I didn't want any contaminants in the water from the cardboard. I read that there is little chance of that from cardboard - but I wanted to be safe.

I'm going to watch close over the next couple of days, but I thought I'd see if anybody has experienced similar.

I'm hoping that if it continues to droop that when I get the other pump and stone delivered and "super" aerate the water, the plant will stop drooping and be happy 24/7.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Comment

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            The droop you're seeing may also be related to excessive DLI. Also heat/RH and watering can cause similar behaviour. A VPD too high also.

I have had my plants do the droop 16hrs into an 18hr light schedule in veg and I just reduced the light a little bit and it fixed the drooping. I think once plants get all the light they can handle they go into sleep/shut down mode regardless of the schedule.

Not a scientific approach but it worked for me.

Check for bugs.....

Mites are too small to see with the naked eye so you'll need a loupe to be able to confirm.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X