Germinate- lights on or off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Germinate- lights on or off

I’m 3 days into germinating seeds for the first time. I put the seeds in rapid rooter cubes in a heated propagation dome. The question is, should I be running a light too? I have a full spectrum led I can turn on. I know the hps lights are probably too strong for sprouting. If I turn them on should it be 24-0 cycle or 18-6 so they still have dark?
    DWC hydroponic system 18”x36”x72” cabinet
    400w single ended hps (veg)
    7’l 3’w 7’h 600w single ended hps (bloom).
    Using advanced nutrients ph perfect sensi grow A+B and sensi bloom A+B and orca microbes.
    1st grow OG 13 - 2nd grow Durban poison, Cinderella- 3rd currently bloom white fire og- 4th grow currently veg Bruce banner, gorilla glue- seeds on deck super lemon haze.

No No don't need light till up from soil. Do be careful to warm, wet will rot seeds. If those are not up by day 4 something is wrong, either too warm, wet. Do you have a seedling light? All you'd need is a t-5 tube light or a CFL. HPS too hot for seedlings. Good luck
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I usually run my lights when germinating even though I keep seeing that you don't have to. It's never hurt my plants or anything and I can see when they crack open and the tails start growing with the light on. I have a full spectrum LED in my seedling tent (since has been switched to a mother plant tent) that I used with no issues. You can use HPS but you will have to keep the light higher than normal so you don't burn your seedlings. The reason I usually leave my lights on is because they usually create some heat and keep the tent a little warmer without a heat mat. I bought a heat mat and used it maybe 3-4 times, and not for very long. So I consider a heat mat a waste of money unless you live in a cold climate and have trouble germinating without one. Anyway, the light is kind of personal preference whether you want it on or off.

Comment

I start mine in jiffy rooters also. Lights won't help or hurt until it comes up.
        Focus and relativity.

Comment

Thanks!! It’s cold here and I grow in my basement so I turned my 600w full spectrum on veg 18-6 light cycle. A little help heating won’t hurt and maybe it will help orientate the seeds
          DWC hydroponic system 18”x36”x72” cabinet
          400w single ended hps (veg)
          7’l 3’w 7’h 600w single ended hps (bloom).
          Using advanced nutrients ph perfect sensi grow A+B and sensi bloom A+B and orca microbes.
          1st grow OG 13 - 2nd grow Durban poison, Cinderella- 3rd currently bloom white fire og- 4th grow currently veg Bruce banner, gorilla glue- seeds on deck super lemon haze.

Comment

• dphipps1020
            dphipps1020 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I think you will be fine then. Just keep the light high and monitor the temperature inside the tent. If it's too hot you can leave the tent flaps open and let the basement air cool it down.

Just make sure you have the light at least 24-36" above the seedlings.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X