No announcement yet.

Ready to flip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, for the first time I stepped into my tent and could actually smell bud fragrance and it was so sweet smelling. I topped dressed with Girl Flower Power, a little potting soil on top that and watered yesterday, instead of my usual GFP compost tea at every watering. I don’t know if it was coincidence or the GFP that did it but I was starting to think my buds were just going to have a mild cut grass smell. So happy.

Equipment
    5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
    ———————————————————————————————————-
    1st Grow
    Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
    Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
    Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      It's the best feeling when the grow goes so well. You have such a knack with the camera. A great day when the flowers start their fragrances. Boy fella those colas are so great looking. I'm enjoying your Micro shots, even with cat hair LOL. Man don't even look in my tent, it's my hair you'd see.

Monday 22 Feb 2021

Equipment
    1st Grow
    Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

Equipment
      1st Grow

Comment

What do you guys think?
        This is day 54 of a strain they say is 60-67 days. All are the same strain. I noticed one of the plants has some amber trichomes already, but the others look clear to me???
        Aren’t trichomes supposed to go from glass to milky to amber?
        These seems to be going from glass to amber. I do want the late harvest amber to get the relaxed body, anti-anxiety effect.

Has anyone tried harvesting a branch at a time, days or weeks apart, to see what effect they have at different times in the harvest window?
        Last edited by MrPNW; 02-23-2021, 09:26 AM.

Equipment
        1st Grow

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Many times done sequential harvest. May do so with 1 of my autos larfy on the lower, rock hard above. Maybe i've gone longer than 8days but i don't think so for getting the lower half closer to milky/amber. It's worth it to me on photos to do so. Meh....auto as long as the tent still on flower mode not needing it right away i'd do it.

• MrPNW
          MrPNW commented
          Editing a comment
          The grower told me they automatically harvest this strain at 60 days. I might try a branch from each at 60, again in the middle of 7 days and hopefully the rest will be mostly all amber by 67 to wrap it up.

grouchyoldman
        Dang! On Friday I was doing some defoliating and accidentally cut off a small popcorn size bud from behind a fan leaf stem. So I sat it on my nightstand to let dry and see what this early pick would do. It was still a little moist this early evening when I made a first attempt at running it through a very tiny grinder and into my Firefly 2+ which uses a small convection oven to heat the weed. I felt a little something for a couple hours but nothing substantial.
        I just now before bed, gave it a second attempt, having left it in the vape, and man what a difference! I’m so stoned. My guess is the oven dried it out more and the second attempt did a real vaporizing of the cannabinoids.

So the info says 60-67 day flower yet 60 days isn’t until 01 March! So what is going on? Did Subcool (the breeder) mean to have this strain more on the relaxed body, anti-anxiety, couchlock end of the harvest therefore giving those days? Mine are already showing a number of amber trichomes.

Equipment
        1st Grow

Comment

• grouchyoldman
          grouchyoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a beautiful grow MrPNW and you can count on a great harvest regardless of when you pull the trigger.

Waiting is hard, but as SoOrbudgal said, a sequential harvest can ease the pain. Nip a small sample bud every couple days, large enough to have a taste and leave another bit to dry & cure properly. It is really educational to taste the progression down the road when you have your final product to compare with the test buds. I did that last harvest and I will do so even more methodically in the future. It is great fun to have a lineup of buds ranging from Crystal to Golden Trichs in addition to the Big Jars.

So, if those beauties were mine (and I wanted the "Amber Effect") I'd give them another week or two to further ripen. Based on your excellent pics the most amber is mostly appearing on your sugar leaves first which is the normal progression. My last late harvest stayed cloudy until everything went yellow then amber almost overnight.

So, as long as the plants stay healthy let er ride!

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinking your correct with what the breeder says. That's OK showing amber early i've done early ripe at some 55 day in flower photos not many times but a few. When you see 25% amber all over the top colas it's go time don't wait any longer. Even less than that, they can amber quickly.

So much winning in this thread, I wish my crop was coming out half as nice. Congrats on all the hard work man, and really good job on the pictures too.

Comment

Just finished defoliating all the large fan and any dead leafs on the 3rd plant. Man when I’m up close with my magnifier glasses and bonsai pruning scissors I always feel like I’ve removed everything. Then I stand back looking at all 3, especially in the photos and it feels like I haven’t done a thing. So many leaves on weed, they just keep coming.

Equipment
          1st Grow

Comment

My headband magnifier glasses, bonsai scissors and cake turntable with ball bearing sure make easy work of defoliating. I use these glasses for numerous tasks. Working with those minuscule screws when repairing glasses is another. I’ve got the non-led version, but those would make a nice upgrade. My wife gave me her old turntable. This thing is an easy 18” across and works perfectly with 7 gallon pots. It’s up on a foot and has heavy duty ball bearings. Apparently these are used for cake decorating. Mine looks similar to the photo.
            Last edited by MrPNW; 02-25-2021, 04:00 PM.

Equipment
            1st Grow

Comment

I just took another 2 vapes off that little bud that dried in my firefly and man I am so stoned again! That’s 5 hits total from this little bud and it just keeps giving. I’m so excited how awesome and smooth this weed is and its not even cured yet.

I’m so ready to harvest!

Equipment
              1st Grow

Comment

Sequential Harvest

OK after much thought I am going to harvest a decent size lower branch from each plant this weekend which is days 58-60 (Sat-Mon, I have Monday off). With this strain listed as a 60-67 day flower that is the beginning of harvest. I will check the trichomes for amber the next Friday and if it’s where I would like it to be (relaxed body, anti-anxiety level) I will do the full harvest. Otherwise, rinse, repeat of this weekend. I want to harvest the biggest buds when the amber is right on.
                the buds already have enough THC to stone my brain so why not start. This is a high CBD strain so I want to not miss that either. I got my 4 glass jars today and they are very nice.

Any thoughts? Good plan?

Equipment
                1st Grow

Comment

• YYCannabis
                  YYCannabis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Remember to check the trichs on the lower branch you harvest. Most lower branches will be behind on trich color. I always find the lower branch stuff to be very heady since i don’t see much amber in them. 👍

YYCannabis funny you should mention, I was just looking at the lower buds tonight.

Equipment
                1st Grow

Comment

Is this normal? I’ve done nothing to my plants but water them the past week. The only nutrients would be the girl flower power I mixed into the top soil a couple weeks ago but have watered at least 3 times, 3-4 days between each watering. This wasn’t here a few days ago, at least the black curled tips. I did notice some yellowing the past week. It this the plants last ditch effort to suck all the nutrients from the leaves to feed the buds at harvest time?
                  I have noticed the trichs have been spreading out like crazy since last few days.

Day 60 was yesterday in a 60-67 day flower. I was hoping to harvest Friday.
                  So this is the evening of day 62.
                  Last edited by MrPNW; 03-03-2021, 01:25 AM.

Equipment
                  1st Grow

Comment

Looking at late harvest photos I’m guessing certain strains do this? I know my strain is sensitive to light also, especially in veg.
                    When is the best time to harvest? See a picture gallery of "ready to harvest" cannabis buds, plus explanations for the buds that are weird or hard to tell!

Equipment
                    1st Grow

Comment

It just dawned on me. I had been watering with compost tea using original then flower power and was adjusting the ph of the water in the bucket prior to adding the ingredients and brewing.

The last 2-3 waterings this past week and a half to wash down the top feed of flower power I blended into the soil have been from the stored water in my 30 gallon tank next to the tent. Same water as alway but I didn’t adjust the ph. My tap water is great but the ph is 8.
                      Could the non-adjusted water have burned the leaves?

Equipment
                      1st Grow

Comment

If you’re harvesting on Friday, you should be starting the flush already (if you’re going to flush). Since you’re so close to the end, i wouldn’t worry too much about those leaves.

pH....always check ph *after* adding nutes to the water.
                        There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
                        1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
                        2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
                        3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• MrPNW
                          MrPNW commented
                          Editing a comment
                          When I started inquiring and reading about flushing and amended soil grow a couple weeks ago GWE site and Natures Living Soil owner told me not to worry about it.
                          Also that ph wasn’t that big a problem with amended soil grows.

Maybe I’m remembering it wrong but I thought I read that the acid in GH ph down can harm the microbes in living soil.
                          I did order the Earth Juice ph down but it only just arrived. But like an idiot I forgot to use it to adjust the barrel water.

Could the high ph of my tap water have only pulled the hotter nutes from the top fed NLS GFP?

Can my lights have burned the leaves like that?

I know I’m close to harvest but would not want to repeat any mistakes on my part in future grows especially earlier on.

• YYCannabis
                          YYCannabis commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Flushing is still a debated subject.

I’m a DWC guy so i can’t say too much about pH Down and it’s affects on dirt microbes. A high pH will limit which nutes are taken up by the plant, which can/will in turn cause health issues for the plant.

• MrPNW
                          MrPNW commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sorry I had to look up DWC on the main site. DWC (Deep Water Culture)
                          Yeah on this page it’s a no flush.
                          Flushing before harvest can increase the quality of your buds, but it can also hurt your yields and even REDUCE the quality of your buds if you do it too early! Learn how to flush properly!

My effort at the amended/living soil/super soil technique was rather haphazardly with this first grow. I found out about it a month into the grow when I noticed my plants looked a bit yellow. I originally planted the clones into 3 gallons of plain, but good organic potting soil. Then I amended some soil to transplant the 3 gallon root ball into 7 gallons surround by the amended soil. I wish I had used NLS’s super soil recipe instead of their regular living soil recipe. I believe that would have sustained this long grow to the end. So its been a lot of compost tea the final 2 months. I’m starting to the I should just have continued the tea to the end but didn’t want any funky flavors especially with a new product like girl flower power.
                          To much guessing on my part. I’m just surprised I made it to a final product that is actually potent. LOL

The next grow will be a full blown super soil.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X