New Grow Diary advice/tips/tricks appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO New Grow Diary advice/tips/tricks appreciated

Hi all, I’m doing a closet grow with a hydroponic setup and LED grow lights (switching to HPS for flowering). I’m using the PDF guide on this site for the nutrient mix and ratios, and have the micro, gro and bloom as well as the CalMag.

I’ve bought pythoff for the root treatment should there be any root rot down the line.

It’s all in a grow tent with filtered air coming in the bottom and the warm air taken out the top, both the intake and outtake have matching inline 6” duct fans.

I just wanted to document my progress in this thread. I’m on week 1 veg now.

Seeds: Dr Kripplings Incredible Bulk

Current Overview
    PPM: 882
    EC: 1.74
    PH: 6.1
    Water Temp: 21°C
    Tent Temp: 24°C
    Plant Height Average: 50mm

I’ve attached some pics. We’re on day 9 now (2 days since water change and setup for veg).

Tips, tricks and advice welcomed. Thanks!
    Last edited by Kajicky; 12-21-2020, 01:01 PM.

Here’s a vid of the external water reservoir feeding into the grow tent.

Comment

• Poppa
      Poppa commented
      Editing a comment
      Is this reservoir kept in a dark closet? If not you will probably see algae even if you treat for it.

• Kajicky
      Kajicky commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Poppa, yes it’s kept in the dark and only exposed to light when I do the daily checks. Will likely get an opaque container soon though as to minimise light even further.

I only have one DWC grow under my belt, but believe your ppm is on the high side for as young as your plants are. At your stage I was at 200 ppm and slowly increased over a 4 week veg period to 650 before switching to flowering. If you start to see any ill effects you should dilute your reservoir.

Comment

• Kajicky
      Kajicky commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info - I’ve added 4L distilled water to reduce the TDS and EC.

Pretty nice !! In my dwc set up I put Hydro-guard in for the roots right from the start.
    Focus and relativity.

Comment

Originally posted by Kajicky View Post
      Hi all, I’m doing a closet grow with a hydroponic setup and LED grow lights (switching to HPS for flowering). I’m using the PDF guide on this site for the nutrient mix and ratios, and have the micro, gro and bloom as well as the CalMag.

I’ve bought pythoff for the root treatment should there be any root rot down the line.

It’s all in a grow tent with filtered air coming in the bottom and the warm air taken out the top, both the intake and outtake have matching inline 6” duct fans.

I just wanted to document my progress in this thread. I’m on week 1 veg now.

Seeds: Dr Kripplings Incredible Bulk

Current Overview
      PPM: 882
      EC: 1.74
      Water Temp: 21°C
      Tent Temp: 24°C
      Plant Height Average: 50mm

I’ve attached some pics. We’re on day 9 now (2 days since water change and setup for veg).

Tips, tricks and advice welcomed. Thanks!
      Are those rockwool cubes?
      I've tried using rockwool as a media and never could keep the plants happy.
      Have you used this before?
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Kajicky
        Kajicky commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, Rockwool cubes. I was considering other mediums, but just went for that a little blindly if I’m honest. I’ve only done soil grows previously.

Hi Kajicky.

As previously mentioned, you will want to do something to keep that reservoir from seeing light leaks. I’d suggest a container that isn’t see through 👍 and start treating against root rot now instead of waiting for the problem to arise.

”an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• Kajicky
        Kajicky commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s in a dark closet separate to the grow tent. I try to keep light to a minimum doing my checks once a day.

• Kajicky
        Kajicky commented
        Editing a comment
        Will start adding root treatment tomorrow. Thanks for the tip 👍

Completely agree with YYCannabis, dark containers. I get mine from Lowes. I use hydroguard from the very beginning to the end when I flush.

Current grow roots had issues in the beginning, but after a steady diet of Hydro, recovered.

Last edited by RagWeedDWC; 12-21-2020, 07:21 PM.
      Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
      A tale of two seeds
      Batter Up Sour Deisel
      Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
      New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
      Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• Kajicky
        Kajicky commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks man 👍 will start adding root treatment from tomorrow. The reservoir is kept in the dark, but as a couple of people have now noted this as a potential issue, I’ll invest in some containers that aren’t see through.

Day 10 - added 4 L distilled water to reduce TDS and EC
      PPM: 455
      EC: 1.49

Comment

Emergency situation yesterday, decided to try the MH light out, set it on 400w and was about 2.5ft away from the plant. Checked after 45 minutes and a couple of leaves had curled and burned, so instantly turned that off.

I went back to the LED setup and left them overnight and those leaves shrivelled even more and were gone, so I removed the 3 dead leaves.

Also flushed the system today as it was now due. 15L distilled water to 1/4tsp Micro 1/4tsp Gro 1/4tsp bloom 1tsp CalMag per 5L.

Added 1tblsp pythoff root treatment for the 15L distilled water. This is basically half as dilute as directed on the bottle if you’re facing root issues, so hopefully this is the correct thing to do for now?

PPM: 317

How far do y’all keep your MH setups away from the crop? It’s actually a 600w Omega ballast and light, I also have the HPS, but for the area 600w was too much I thought putting it on 400w would be ok, but I should have babysat them.

Is it worth trying the MH bulb with the ballast set on 250w and increasing the distance, or should I just stick with the LED setup?
        Last edited by Kajicky; 12-25-2020, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Leaves look a lot less yellow than yesterday. Hopefully, they will recover.

And another seed that I had written off as a dud decided to join the party, not sure why it took so long to pop through, but leaves look a little weird.

Comment

I use to grow using HPS and MH, lots of heat when compared to LED. My gut is that you were hit with a couple of issues, the heat generated and then the wave length put out by the MH as compared to led. In my current small space I used a 400w HPS back in the day, but all the plants both in veg and flower were either under a MH or HPS depending on stage. When I started back I used LED's and will never go back. Not challenging anyone recommending switching to a MH from led but my recommendation would be, if possible stay with the LED (Not sure of your complete setup, if you posted it, I missed it).

DWC has enough complications with out adding heat stress but if you want I was moved it to the 250w and start at your maximum height and work down.

If you check the grows in my signature, you will find lots of stressed plants that have recovered, have faith.

Your PPM looks lower than the prior reading, but at the size of your plants, does not look right.

Have no ideal what pythoff root treatment is, or what its use is for. I usually do not flush until right before flowering or if there is a nutrient problem. Again, personal preference, others may have a different program.

What LED are you using?

Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
            A tale of two seeds
            Batter Up Sour Deisel
            Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
            New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
            Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• Kajicky
              Kajicky commented
              Editing a comment
              I have 6x Full Spectrum LED Panel Lights and 1x Viparspectra P600.

• RagWeedDWC
              RagWeedDWC commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I would stick with your led lights

• Kajicky
              Kajicky commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok, thanks man 🤞

Here’s a couple of pics of the plants and the light setup from the nanny cam.

Its much brighter than it appears in the photos.

There are 6x Full Spectrum Panel Grow Lights and 1x Viparspectra P600. All-in-all the lights, pump, oxygenator and fans consume ~475w. Around 350w of that is the LEDs.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Kajicky; 12-29-2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Yesterday added 5L distilled water and added 1/2 Micro, 1/2 Gro, 1/2 Bloom and 1tsp CalMag.

PH, TDS and EC in attached.

Comment

Overnight, they’ve fanned out nicely! Only a few leaves showing signs of stress from the MH light experiment.

Comment

Are you following a specific nutrient schedule? . Your plants seem a little small to be adding bloom nutes yet.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X