Curing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curing Question

In the curing stage of my first time grow. Had them hanging for about a week at 50% RH and 70F. Felt pretty dry and the smaller under buds could pop off so put them in jars a few days ago. I have some humidity sensors in the jars along with 62%RH packs. However, the humidity inside the jars is not rising. All 4 jars are still at ~50%. I’ve burped them once just to get some fresh air but I don’t want to do that too much if my humidity is so low.

How long does it usually take these packs to raise the RH? Should I keep burping even though my RH is so low? Is there anything else I can do to raise my RH? Thanks.

I’ve never used a humidity meter. Once my buds are dry like yours were I put them in jars then open them up once a day to check them. If they feel pretty damp I air them out or even take them out of the jar for a while if needed. I do this daily for 1-2wks until the fresh smell goes away then I start checking them once a week. I don’t use humidity packs until they’re through the curing process because I think they make all bud smell and taste the same if used while curing

Comment

I use hygrometer in at least one of my jars from each plant with the moisture packs in each. Feel your pack as long as it's still flexible it's working they get hard as they dry out once dry don't believe the internet it's not just water in them and can't be recharged. You want to burp your jars, if RH is higher outside the jar burp twice per day at 30 minutes but if RH is higher inside the jar just burp once per day for 10 minutes. As long as you have the right size packs they'll work or dry trying.
      TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
      s silver haze... strawberry haze...
      .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
      TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
      2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
      TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
      3 gallon pots all autos
      Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
      👇my one n only journal👇
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

I've never gotten much out of the packs. At 50%rh they should feel pretty crispy. Do they? It's unlikely all of your RH meters are wrong . What I do in this case is put a fresh bud or 2 in the jars to raise the humidity. I try to avoid using water. I would however mist them with water rather than let them sit dry for too long. Others with more experience than I should have some input as we've probably all been in your shoes. I almost always see an initial rh of 67% or so and then burp them down or even spread them out on trays or bowls to further de-humidify them before re-jarring them.

Comment

Sounds like you got everything right, temps,humidity, but at my house with the same temps-humidity you got ,mine is way to dry in 4-5days, you must live down South ,idk
          We quit hanging long ago down here cause it dries to damn fast, even if you leave alot of green on.Don't taste good when you smoke it neither.
          When I put buds in jars, a little over 3quarter full qt.mason jars when I roll the jars over an over,them golf ball size buds still stick together, they still a little to damp ,an ill put them back in the bags for couple more hours, an check them again .
          I do check them with hygrometers, an when they get 58-61 they good.
          I think they make a moisture meter you can buy to check moisture in buds, it ain't much 30-40bucks I think,
          I can't remember what I read, but I'm thinking it said that between 9-12percent moisture in your buds ,not positive about that though.
          Yeah if yours is to dry an you got some fresh bud ,stick some back in your jars like Smoorman said,
          Them Bovedas might help, but to me ,it don't taste as good or smell as good, but that just be me.
          sorry for all the ramblin, just had dessert.
          I didn't mean it didn't taste good when you hang dry it cause it does, if you got the right conditions, I meant it don't taste as good, if it dries to fast.
          Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 10-26-2020, 01:21 PM.
          Cfls for a week or two
          315lec for everything else
          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

Yes i don't pack my jars full either. Just do it 3/4 full leave air space. And i burp the jars daily, it's a hassle doing it by yourself with lots of jars but it's warm inside those jars with 2wk old buds fresh resin stuff is still curing prime for mold if not looked at least daily. I lay them sideways also and roll them around
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

yeah they feel pretty dry. burped them for 10 minutes today. some of the jars are reading 55% so that’s a plus. otherwise I had a humidifier doing its best to keep the area at 50% during the hanging, but they have never felt “wet”.

Comment

If the humidity in the jars is at 50%, your buds won't cure too much because they got too dry. Nebula says curing stops below 55%: https://www.growweedeasy.com/drying-...e-buds-in-jars

But make sure you have a reliable hydrometer if you're using one: I only use the Caliber IV in my jars, and they last a good 3 years before they need replacing.
                Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
                2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
                Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I would probably lay them our and mist them with distilled or RO water. Not much. But not too little either because they will absorb the water into the bud if it's dry. As evenly as possible. And re-jar them and check humidity after 6 or so hours. If you are at 66 or so rh then keep them sealed for a day for the moisture to balance out. Then start burping. I've done this in the past and it worked. You are probably past the point where you'll have great smelling bud but not past the point of being able to cure it.

Comment

• dalvis
                    dalvis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    this sounds like a Hail Mary and I love those plays. mister them and the inside of the jars. let them sit for about an hour then burped until RH was around 68%. Will check in the morning but by golly I think this might work.

Well i'm burping OG kush leaving the jar lids off for hrs. today i found what looked like spores on inside of a jar. I'm just cautious i'm not real sure if it's mold spores or trichs from rolling the jars around. I'm not getting any moldy smell out of the jars but it's not smelling like weed yet. These are less than 2wks in jars. The GSC is smelling great in the jars cure is really good. Not sure what this OG is suppose to smell like when i crush a bud ?
                  Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                  indoor/outdoor grower
                  1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                  1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                  I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                  Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                  Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                  Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

One last question: is the idea to have your buds curing at 62% for (at least) two weeks? I’m coming up on 2 weeks in the jars but my RH has been all over the place and even still all jars are sitting at 65-68% despite burping daily. I have sampled each strain and though they are potent there is still a “green” taste to them. I know the curing process can last for months, but is the baseline 2 weeks at 62% or 2 weeks *while attempting* to maintain 62%? Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

• alltatup
                      alltatup commented
                      Editing a comment
                      dalvis I leave my bud out or the lid off the jar to get my curing buds to around 62-63%. Nebula says the cure zone is 60-65%. By the time I get them down to 62%, I can start burping jars once a week.

How full are the jars? Also if they are regularly going over 62% then don't be afraid to lay them out for a couple hours. More than once if necessary.

Comment

I go by feel and smell, never used a meter in my jars. If the buds are wet enough to clump together or smell moldy then I take them
                      out and lay them on a screen for an hour or two. If not then I burp them, shake em around a bit and put the lid back on. Usually if you wait to jar them when the stems snap you won’t have a issue.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X