Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decarboxylation

Hi All,

Most recipes for making canna oil call for decarboxylation of the weed in an oven first. I have never used this step and simply heat my weed and oil in a slow cooker at temps between 200 f and 235 f for 3-4 hrs. The resulting brownies are always plenty potent when I use 1/3 oz per batch.

My degree is in chemical engineering and I believe the required decarboxylation is occurring in the slow cooker. However, I have forgot most of the organic chemistry I once knew! I would like to hear other opinions. Could my brownies be even more potent if I use a oven to decarboxylate before making the oil? I have been hesitant to try, because I can already hear my better half complaining about the odor. I use the slow cooker outside so odor is not an issue.

Thanks

You're getting it as psycho active as it's going to get at that temp and 2-3 hours in your slow cooker.

Comment

Yep agree with quirk. I think you got the right deal going now for you. I've used the oven not the slow cooker i like your idea more for using slow cooker gonna try that next batch of sweet breads.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I’ve never made edibles but bought some cheese cloth and turkey bags yesterday for my first time. The plan was to use the turkey bags to keep the scent as contained as possible but I like your idea of the crockpot outside on our patio much better👍🏻

Comment

OK, glad I am on the right path. If you try the crockpot method here is what I do:

1). Goal is to make 1 1/2 cup oil which is good for 3 batches Betty Crocker Fudge brownies.

2). Mix 1 oz weed with canola oil. Heat in crockpot. I use meat thermometer and shut off when at 235. Turn it back on at about 200. Repeat several cycles over about 3 hrs.

3) Strain weed from oil. I use a gravy strainer. This will yield about 1 cup of oil. The additional oil will be in the weed.

4) in order to improve the yield, I remix the weed with 1/2 cup of fresh oil and repeat heat cycle for 2 hrs.

5) I get an additional 1/2 cup canna oil from the second straining.

Remember, a brownie a day keeps the doctor away!

Comment

I always use the crockpot way for wife cream or oil
          Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
          Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
          Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
          Full auto grow
          Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
          12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• kingfish
            kingfish commented
            Editing a comment
            Farmbuck do you decarb your weed when you make creams and oils? I always thought that you only have to decarb if you ingest it.

• Farmbuck
            Farmbuck commented
            Editing a comment
            Well not really I found a few recipes on the web how to decarb your cannabis for oil & creams making, so I follow their instructions and it works well for me.

There are many ways to consume marijuana. In this article, we will cover everything from chewing gum to sprays, edibles, bubblers, and more!

Wife say it work.

I have a friend in the Yucatan making CBD cream and he always decarb his weed. Oh yes he show me how to mix organic bee wax in my cream for a better texture.
            Last edited by Farmbuck; 10-26-2020, 07:00 AM.

if you decarb in a mason jar in the oven, there is very little odor...just put the lid on tight

Comment

I got this with my Magical Butter Machine.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
              bboyfromwayback commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve never made anything but smoke out of my grows but the members on here have made me realize how much I’ve wasted over the years. Plus I can see the use of making edibles for when we travel. I checked this machine out before but it seemed to good kinda like those as seen on tv kinda things so I didn’t want to waste my money. And hey, just pushing a button isn’t lazy, it’s not wanting to fuck things up lol

• kingfish
              kingfish commented
              Editing a comment
              bboyfromwayback this thing is so easy, you can't fuck things up. Unless of course you're too stoned to push a button.

• bboyfromwayback
              bboyfromwayback commented
              Editing a comment
              😂🤣😂 only on Sunday’s

I use the shatter/oil I extract using an eToh-pro to recover the ethanol I use for cryo-extraction.
            I typically like to bake with the amount of shatter I dosed out mixed into the amount of coconut oil the recipe calls for with a tbs of sunflower lecithin added.
            All of that is placed in a pyrex measure and then placed in an oven.
            I've found that I will get the oil temp in the cup to 250 degF when it's baked at 275 degF for an hour.
            Makes excellent brownies...
            WHAT???
            5x5 grow space
            900w of Vero's and F-strips
            4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X