Water, water everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Water, water everywhere

I'm struggling with what looks like a calcium deficiency in my "just add water" setup. I think this is because I didn't realize I was using de-mineralized water, not spring water, which is what I thought it was. Doooh! I've since been searching for a source of spring water or even just mineralized water with a Ph between 6.3 and 7.0. So far I've come up empty handed. The closest I could find was a supplier in a nearby town who sells "mineral water" with a Ph of 7.1. In the mean time I picked up a Ph pen and I've been using tap water with a natural Ph down from Blue Sky Organics. The first time I took it down to 6.0 because I thought it was a zinc deficiency. Then I discovered calcium won't be taken up in that range and I started to see more dead spots on the leaves. After that I watered with Ph 7.0 adjusted tap water. That was two days ago. No obvious improvement yet. I'm seeing it on the other, smaller plant that didn't have it before I corrected the water but this might just be from the Ph fluctuation. I'm nine weeks in and I'd like to flip to flower but I'm compelled to wait 'til I can see some improvement. My question is: does RO water permanently trash the supersoil ecosystem or can it be restored?
    Last edited by Crowdad; 10-15-2020, 02:51 PM.
    4 X 5 gal fabric pots supplemented with; Growganica Incredible Bulk bloom booster, Compost tea, worm castings, Stepwell bloom top dress. Pure Crop 1 foliar spray, Vipar Spectra R900, Fusion Hut 3X4X6 Fusion Breath 4" fan/filter. Hawaii X Maui Waui feminized photoperiod.

RO water has almost everything stripped out of it, not the best but should not be harmful.
    What is the PH of the soil and what buffers are in it?

Comment

Just add water setup?? Not sure if you mean like a living soil, if so all you need to do is either filter your tap water with a charcoal filter or put water in a bucket open for a day or two these both will remove any chlorine from the water. As long as the water from there is between 5.5 - 7.5 the soil will adjust the ph by itself as long as the soil is good that is. I grow in living soil and I water with filtered water with a ph of 7.3 last I checked it 3 months ago with no problems

Edit == I just read the bottom of your post and with that soil you shouldn't have to worry about ph as long as you get rid of any chlorine.
      TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
      s silver haze... strawberry haze...
      .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
      TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
      2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
      TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
      3 gallon pots all autos
      Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
      👇my one n only journal👇
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• MeEasy
        MeEasy commented
        Editing a comment
        I put an adapter on the faucet in my tub that allows me to use a standard water hose and inline charcoal filter so I think I'm good?? I've never heard anything about chloramine does a filter get it out?

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        The filter will not harm anything, nor will it remove chemicals, it will make the water taste better.
        Everything I read said you use another chemical to kill it.
        Edit RO should remove it. /Edit

• MeEasy
        MeEasy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Rwise I'll have to call the town to make sure, so far things look alright, but this is my 1st round with this soil

MeEasy, is right above if you got good soil ,as long as you just a little below or a little above 6.0-7.0ph, you don't need to adjust, the soil will take care of it.
      I've used KindSoil a good bit , it's a living soil ,but you sure got to adjust to between 6-7, or you have problems, I promise you.
      The soil in our huntin woods you ain't got to adjust nothing, an for years up till I started growing autos, a few years back, we used water wherever we could get it, out of ditches, the MsRiver to water our outdoor plants, and the only few problems we ever had was from bugs or deer every now an again, ain't no telling what that water ph, was. I know we never spotted leaves.
      Dont know what it is in KindSoil, but you sure got to keep it adjusted .
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Thanks for the reassurances. I just clued into the chlorine removal so the last time I watered there may have been some chlorine. I'm watering today with compost tea made with de-chlorinated, ph adjusted tap water. I was hoping I could use water that was close to 7.0 and the soil would adjust. I was a bit suspicious of the Blue Sky Organics super soil because when I looked into the company's website they suggest using their supplements along with the "super soil" for the best performance. This doesn't jive with what I've been told about super soil. None of the super soils recommended by GWE are available to me up here but there are a few choices. I'll have to wait another few days since today is the first time I've watered with the proper stuff. If I killed any bennies hopefully the tea will restore them.
        4 X 5 gal fabric pots supplemented with; Growganica Incredible Bulk bloom booster, Compost tea, worm castings, Stepwell bloom top dress. Pure Crop 1 foliar spray, Vipar Spectra R900, Fusion Hut 3X4X6 Fusion Breath 4" fan/filter. Hawaii X Maui Waui feminized photoperiod.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are pretty plants, yeah just set out tapwater an teas from here on an you should be fine.
          But I'd try to keep it between 6-7 .

Thanks again for all your help folks! I looked into it and our local water is treated with chloramine. It's a little tougher to get rid of but I think I found two solutions. Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) is supposed to work and humid acid is also touted as a cure. The vitamin C is the cheaper solution, and you can buy it pure. Anybody tried this? How much per gallon should I use? There are other water conditioners to be found at pet shops that are used by people who keep aquariums but there's a lot of unknown stuff in there to help fish and I don't know how the plants would take to it. I'm still waiting for my plants to look better. They're still growing and if I squeeze my butt cheeks really hard I can maybe see a bit of improvement but nothing substantial yet. Each plant seems to have it's own unique disorder and one of them isn't really that bad. True confession: I checked the Ph of my compost tea after I poured it on the plants a couple days ago; 7.6 Dooh!

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          That compost tea contains humic acid,

I did the 24 hr off gas method, I bought a Boogie Blue charcoal filter, I forgot to dechlorinate, I'd remember to dechlorinate, and then I found this stuff after someone on another thread suggested it...Been using it for months with no issues, at all. I haven't thought twice about chlorine, chloramines, and no filters, filling buckets and waiting, etc. Click image for larger version

Name:	bottle.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	460880
        Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
        Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
        Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• Crowdad
          Crowdad commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't find that stuff up here for some reason.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X