Cleaning Hydroton Clay Pebbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Hydroton Clay Pebbles

So i have seen suggestions for using dish detergent, bleach and H2O2. How do you clean the clay? I dont feel comfortable with dish detergent or bleach cause it just seems as it would leave trace amounts of whatever is in it and negatively effect the plant's taste even after several rinses. I dont know if i am just paranoid or what.

They guy that suggested hydroton to me said about baking them (if we are talking about reusing it) in the oven for some time to kill everything..Then start over again,soak in phed water and go again...
    Tent : 4x4

HPS/MH
    600W

LED
    2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
    BioBizzLight Mix
    Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
    Grow , Micro , Bloom , B-52
    Bud Ignitor , Big Bud, Overdrive
    CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals
    Nartak's 1st Grow - Canna Nutes - HPS 600W

Comment

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      Baking seems extreme as i didnt have any bug/mold issues during the grow. I mean if that is what needs to be done every time then it is what it is lol. Do you believe that baking is necessary even if you did not have issues during the grow or could this be used every couple grows or if pests/mold issues have occurred?

• Nartak
      Nartak commented
      Editing a comment
      Well it can't harm them,it can kill something to small for us to see or realize is living in there...Bakteria etc...Yes for my 50lt bag it will be a small pain as it will prolly be 4-6 bakes depending on the dish but i will do it!I was told to do it,someone must've run into issues

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I'd rather be safe than sorry lol. Thanks for your input!

I wash, or soak,the clay pebbles in a solution of two teaspoons of Flora Shield in one gallon of water, rinse, and then bake them in the oven at 400 deg. F for two hours. There is some degradation (dust and chips) after baking, but not a great loss. I have found that just cleaning them with soap, bleach, or even a disinfectant is not sufficient enough to get ride of all of the harmful critters.
    Last edited by DW2; 01-21-2017, 12:40 PM. Reason: typo
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I forgot to add, before baking the pebbles, let them drain for a while (over night is best) and spread them out on baking sheets. Place them in a COLD oven and then let them heat up slowly with the oven. If they are heated too quickly, there will be more breakage as the trapped water in them expands too quickly to escape.

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that clarification DW2. Don't want to open the oven to a pile of dust lol.

• Nartak
      Nartak commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful information there DW2!!

Good morning Tersky!
    If You are not having any problems with molds, fungi, or other harmful micro organisms, then the baking could be done with out. But I have been fighting algae and molds for several grows and am starting to get control (isn't that the first sign of insanity, thinking that you are in control??) of it. I through away the water pump, distributor manifold, air stones, and all air and water line inside of the reservoirs for each new grow. Basically, if I can't boil or bake it, I through it away.
    I may sound cheap reusing the pebbles, scrubbing and baking (well, I am cheap!), but it also, keeps me off of the streets and out of the bars! LOL!
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Nartak
      Nartak commented
      Editing a comment
      LMAO!!!Nice way to put it man,scrub them pebbles it is..or go to the pub...lol! It's not cheap,it's like using 100% of nutes and all their superduper thriving nute solutions! It's marketing!!If you can sterilize the pebbles and reuse there is nothing cheap about it!

Too much everybody.....wash with dish soap and rinse with hot hot water ...FOR A WHILE......They will be fine.....Saturday......Smoke up....

Comment

• Nartak
      Nartak commented
      Editing a comment
      You know i've always wondered what makes the difference between my grow and "a" grow,that's the little effortful details I(u,he she them) input in the grow!I wipe the snipper between every cut,same plant,two nodes lower,i wipe before every single touch of the blade on green! I wipe the hood's glass daily as if im the plants secretary lol! Vacuum the tent twice a week and sort my tools!! Ok thats not growing related but grow-tool related...Grow related i did soak the pebbles before using them in Ph'ed water...I don't let the water sit though for the chlorine to evaporate and i only recently switched to digital timers that are precise!

Not knocking you,just trying to say that if you can afford it in time and effort,do as much cleaning and tidying as possible,it always helps!!Whether it's product related,tool related or plant related,keep it all nice and clean!!

Nartak, my first experience and I am truly just telling GWE how it has gone for me....LOL....Whats right or What the (FIW)...I don't know.....Smoke a Bone....Love Ya Brother......

Comment

• Nartak
      Nartak commented
      Editing a comment
      Corse i love ya man!!Also on my first experience and im all picky with how to get everything to the maximum,i wouldn't leave a humidifier with my fan on in the room but i believe bruning the hell outa pebbles would work!!

Bom bole!

Who ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Nartak
      Nartak commented
      Editing a comment

I appreciate all the feedback. I have decided that in this case i will split the difference lol. Since i had absolutely no issues with mold or pests i will not be baking at 400 for 2 hrs, just 1. This is of course after soaking in H2O2 and hot water. Then rinsing them in a strainer with hot water. I might have to do 5 or 6 bakes to get it accomplished but i believe that should be sufficient for the first post harvest rinse with this clay. Of course i will do a much tougher disinfect on the next run.

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Tersky, if you are not having any problems, then the pebbles do not need to be baked. The H2O2 will only kill some of the nasty little things that are floating around in the air, a disinfectant will kill off most things that will mess with your grow. I would not recommend using bleach or soap as they are very difficult to rinse out. A good rule of thumb when using bleach is, if you can smell it, then it is too strong to be used with your plants. I tried to clean some of the pebbles with bleach and could never get the bleach smell out of them, so in the trash!

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      I already baked them for an hour at 400, just to be safe. I was worried about the same thing with the bleach.

Tersky...Your allright.....Less is best......Keep it clean but not to where it is an all day job....Have fun and grow...and smoke and?.???????

Comment

• Nartak
      Nartak commented
      Editing a comment
      Repeat!!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X