Reducing humidity a month into curing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reducing humidity a month into curing

I'm a month into curing in a 32 oz mason jar containing a 62% Bovida humidity control packet. The weed looks and smells amazing, but I suspect if it was a little dryer it might burn better. I was thinking about using a lower humidity Bovida packet for my second month of curing, maybe a 58% or a 49%. Any thoughts?

Howdy Basic . I've never dried bud. Never been able to wait that long. I blast for live resin. However, 'round here, the gold standard is your 62%. Gold standard because that's what Miss Nebula has trained us to use. Click me for more valuable information.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

Hey Basic , you really dont need to use the bovida or humidipacs during jar curing. This may be prolonging your drying and cure. I would remove the packs for a week or two, but keep popping the lids daily or every other day. (if you notice their getting a little dry, put a pack in for a day) I do use them, but sparingly and only for long term storage. 4-5+ months.
      Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
      Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
      6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
      Canna Coco/perlite
      General Hydroponics Flora Series
      Cal/Mag.

Tent
      Bruce Banner
      Kushy Kush
      2Cookies and cream

Comment

Whatever you say, HG. My experience is what I read here and what I've seen in dispensaries. I understand they're more for keeping your jar at 62%, after burping and junk, for long term storage. Long term storage of weed is not in my retinue.

These days, if I break out weed, it's because I don't like the person I'm smoking out. When that person leaves, out comes the live resin and that person becomes topic of conversation about how that person sucks because the person didn't get any live resin and how much I liked their shirt. HA! I'm such a jerk face.

But, yeah. Whatever HG says.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6
        Nutes
        CalMag

Comment

Ah thats what i said Gingerbeard...dont use them for curing in the jars, use them to maintain after curing. Basic is starting into second month and buds are still to damp to smoke. I think they need to dry it a little better or else mold may come a creepin. I rotate the 62% and 58% through the jars as needed.
          Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
          Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
          6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
          Canna Coco/perlite
          General Hydroponics Flora Series
          Cal/Mag.

Tent
          Bruce Banner
          Kushy Kush
          2Cookies and cream

Comment

Obviously like every other damn thing to do with weed curing is controversial and the problem is most of the time everyone is right because alot of what we do with weed all comes down to preferences. If you want to smoke weed and you don't like it as wet as someone else then open the jar and let some moisture out, as homegrown said your weed will not get dryer with the m pack in with it. you can go with a lower RH % pack if you want just not higher. But if you don't like weed then do as Gingerbeard says and squeeze the moisture out and smoke it (if that's what he's talking about). You can even not like how weed makes you feel like me and not smoke it at all, I grow for the challenge anyone can grow a rose lol. In my experience as long as you keep the RH under 70 during cure and 65 for storage you shouldn't have a problem with mould
            TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
            s silver haze... strawberry haze...
            .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
            TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
            2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
            TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
            3 gallon pots all autos
            Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
            👇my one n only journal👇
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL MeEasy it's another debate heeeheee

I will add that mold can grow at 55% RH and above, I shoot for 50% when done for long term storage. I also do not use the humidity packs as they leave a taste behind.

Comment

Perhaps I should have mentioned this earlier, but I live in a humid climate, so the 62% Bovida pack is serving as a humidity reducer.

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post
                I'm a month into curing in a 32 oz mason jar containing a 62% Bovida humidity control packet. The weed looks and smells amazing, but I suspect if it was a little dryer it might burn better. I was thinking about using a lower humidity Bovida packet for my second month of curing, maybe a 58% or a 49%. Any thoughts?
                I live in a humid climate also, especially in the summer and If the humidity is too high daily burping of the jars will never get you into the zone. So I rely on the Bovida 62 packs for both curing and long term storage. Hang & dry the colas until you can snap off a bud without leaving a string, cure them for a week or two with Bovida and a daily burp then rest easy.

I'm wondering if you have a calibrated hygrometer to check the actual humidity in your jars? I find 62% dried bud perfectly ready to vape or smoke and plenty dry enough to avoid mold.

Just my $0.02,

-Grouchy
                My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
                I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
                Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• Basic
                  Basic commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Grouchy. So just to clarify: you don't recommend burping after two weeks?

Hi Basic, After two weeks of curing I only check them once a month or so. Easy to remember 'cause that's my schedule for pulling some new samples for the "Smoke Now" jar!

For *really* long term storage I'm a huge fan of vacuum pack. I have an attachment for my SealAmeal device that fits over the inner lid of a Mason jar and pulls a good vacuum. When you remove the sealer, the lid stays in place pulled tight by the vacuum inside, and you crank down the outer ring on the jar. Keep that jar out of direct light and she's good for a couple of years minimum.

Make sense?

-Grouchy
                My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
                I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
                Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X