Germination, This Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germination, This Way?

Ok, so with the different ways to germinate seeds, When I look at the soak seed, then put in paper towel, and then transplant to growing medium (but watch out how you handle the seedling) method. Can I just soak the seed for 18-24 hours and then put the seed into small containers? Just trying to avoid the transplant stress factor and damaging the seedling.

Tried, untried, results, good idea, bad idea, if it works what do I need to watch out for?? You know the drill.

Thanks for any information.

yamiacaveman

here is your growth time line:
    Germination stage - 3-7 days
    seedling stage - 1-2 weeks
    veagtion stage - 2-3 mos'
    preflower stage - 7-10 days
    flower stage - 2-4 mos'

Harvest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Tika
      Tika commented
      Editing a comment
      Yam,
      That's why I like Rapid Rooters our Root Riot. There is no mismanaging of the germinated seed. The plug just goes into the medium .

I just stuck a seed in the soil and watered it yesterday. I put a bottle over top it for humidity purposes so im hoping withing the next few days it sprouts.

Comment

Hi DrunkinHatchy, Pretty much works for you? How about the success rate, with the reading I did it seems to be one of the least favored methods.

Really I'm with you, but I'm from the way back years, when seeds were plentiful, the good crossbreeds or just buds were starting to be developed. So throw the seed in the ground and see what comes up,lol.

So after 30 some years, ( I had a position that required random drug tests), now retired, I need a hobby. Now, any of my friends that still partake, tell me all the stuff they get these days has not seeds. So now I have to buying seeds online --
      The first batch I ordered - finally started across the pond after 3 weeks, Now to see how long and if they make it threw customs. At one point I thought I got taken, so I ordered from a different place. It had some good reviews -- MSNL except, not on my end but on their end they could not take a credit card, something about China. Any cancelled the order did the cash thing sent the money to an address they gave me -- one day later I get an email giving me another address - so it looks like someone in England is going to have a nice dinner on me. I complained but no response.

Did not mean to relate my saga but my point is that seeds are tough to get, and a bit pricey, and I am just looking for the easiest - and the most productive germination course.

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

• William and Sue Ashley
        William and Sue Ashley commented
        Editing a comment
        My first and only order was from AMS, took credit card and I had my seeds in 11 days.....Good Luck....

• yamiacaveman
        yamiacaveman commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked at them as well and will definitely keep them in mind for next time -- maybe today.

I agree Tika....for my first time I used root riots in a humidity dome. Germed in 3 to 5 days and kept them in for another 5, watering a couple times a day....When I took them out it was amazing to see the tap root was about 8" long. I then took the root riot and lowered them into the basket, but I was able to drop the tap root threw a hole and right in to the DWC water res. I then held the root riot and began to load the clay in the bottom set it down and finished with the clay. I am going to show my girls later and WOW, for only 1week in they to me look outstanding.....

Comment

• Tika
        Tika commented
        Editing a comment
        Better and cleaner than rock wool too. As soon as I see a root (lift plugs with tweezers) they go into their coco bed. Sometimes it's hard to get the seed in pointy end down but worth the fun!

• Nartak
        Nartak commented
        Editing a comment
        Almost the same way here,including the 5 extra days in the dome!!Im going to stick with this method!!Love humidity dome!

• Tika
        Tika commented
        Editing a comment
        yup I love the dome too..usually takes 3 days

I just leave mine in the peat pods and trans plant, there are actually to many roots comming out of the plug for me to even want to try and remove the seed....alls good....

Comment

Hey matie,i have only used rooters and how i do it is i soak the rooter cubes in ph 5.8 water (just plain tap water at room temp) and put the seed in the rooter's hole.Then move all the rooters to the small humidity dome i have (just a c-thru lid container) under the (in my case 600w MH) light and wait 1-3 days!Growth usually starts at the 2nd to 3rd way and by 4th day all seedlings are above the rooter's surface!
        I leave them in the dome for approx 5 days while spraying daily the rooter's with ph'ed water making sure they stay moist (not too wet)!

That makes a week from seed and that signals me to move the plants in their final pots (in my case 11lt pots with hydroton) by placing the rooters in the medium.Making sure the rooter is slightly covered by the medium when placed.If in soil or coco using this method you will need to gently push on the medium on top the rooter to make it settle down (Some people also shake gently to make the soil settle,i did not as pebbles are rough).

Took my current(also first and only) grow :
        2 days to emerge from rooter
        5 days in dome
        40 Total Days Veg
        Currently in Day 42 (Day 2 Flower)

No transplant shock was ever caused/witnessed in either of the 4 plants ( Also popped 2 seeds the same way but used soil/pebble mix as medium - no shock either way)
        Tent : 4x4

HPS/MH
        600W

LED
        2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
        BioBizzLight Mix
        Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
        Grow , Micro , Bloom , B-52
        Bud Ignitor , Big Bud, Overdrive
        CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals
        Nartak's 1st Grow - Canna Nutes - HPS 600W

Comment

Originally posted by yamiacaveman View Post
          Hi DrunkinHatchy, Pretty much works for you? How about the success rate, with the reading I did it seems to be one of the least favored methods.

Really I'm with you, but I'm from the way back years, when seeds were plentiful, the good crossbreeds or just buds were starting to be developed. So throw the seed in the ground and see what comes up,lol.

So after 30 some years, ( I had a position that required random drug tests), now retired, I need a hobby. Now, any of my friends that still partake, tell me all the stuff they get these days has not seeds. So now I have to buying seeds online --
          The first batch I ordered - finally started across the pond after 3 weeks, Now to see how long and if they make it threw customs. At one point I thought I got taken, so I ordered from a different place. It had some good reviews -- MSNL except, not on my end but on their end they could not take a credit card, something about China. Any cancelled the order did the cash thing sent the money to an address they gave me -- one day later I get an email giving me another address - so it looks like someone in England is going to have a nice dinner on me. I complained but no response.

Did not mean to relate my saga but my point is that seeds are tough to get, and a bit pricey, and I am just looking for the easiest - and the most productive germination course.

Thanks for your responses.
          This is my first time doing it this way. Last time i did the moist paper towel method. But so far it seems to be working fine. I moved the dirt again and i can see the tap root just starting to come out. Ive heard of other people having success this way but i think it has alot to do with the seeds age and strain that causes a good success rate

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X