"LUX METER"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"LUX METER"

Have had my 4 girls under 400watt MH air cooled lights for a week...DWC....I have 2 air cooled lights connected and exhausted out of the tent. Tent is 4x8x7. With the exhaust set up I no longer have to do the hand test for heat, they are almost cool to the touch. Today I got my lux meter and will turn my lights up to 600watt and range them in to around the 70000 mark for veg. I am writing this to inform anyone new that with the cooling lights I can almost drop the lights on top of the girls without any light burn and am able to give them the top of the range of light with the lux meter....really cool...Happy growing everyone...

start out at 16 inches but no lower than 12 inches - use the "back-of-hand" test to deterime light distance

Comment

• intergalactic_harvester
      intergalactic_harvester commented
      Editing a comment
      hi steve, good mornin.
      that s the way to do it without a lux meter. these folks are using the meter, so they are able to get their plant tops to their light saturation point...about 70k lux for vegging plants. distance is irrelevant this way.

very nice guys! being our first grows its nice to be able to fine tune what we can and give our girls the very best of what we CAN control! good growing w&s!

Comment

• William and Sue Ashley
      William and Sue Ashley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks IH.....from germ to buckets at 600watt no exhaust...phew to 250watt installed exhaust then 400watt and then figured out I needed the lux....Nebula has a great video on this and it is all so cool to finally have it somewhat figured out...I was alittle confused with the light sitch but all good...Going to post a pic of my girls later....Best and Happy Growing....

I'm still playing he'll with mine. 1000w is dam near outgunning my 5×5. all good for the veg cuz I can leave it opened up (after cat proofing the room) but I still need to make it so I can close it up for flower. got better quality vent fans coming, portable a.c. ready to go, and I will get a few clip on fans for the canopy. I'm sure I can keep it contolled thru this harvst, but going back to back like I want to maybe biting off more than I can chew as a newb. thinking of flowering in this system thru July n August just intimidates the shot outta me right now, lol.

Comment

• William and Sue Ashley
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like your having fun....it is cool....you could always do a couple of autos and a photoperiod together. Ah what the hell go out and buy another set up...LOL...

• Green75
      Green75 commented
      Editing a comment
      intergalactic_harvester your tent.....extend a 2x4 over the top of each corner protruding past edges about 6-8" where your zipper door is.....unzip top of door about a foot and let it hang inside the tent....hang a dark towel or the like from top of tent on 2x4's so it hangs down over the opening of door keeping light out and letting hot air out as well......will work

just make sure no light gets through material of whatever you use....
      don't have to be 2x4's....something long and able to take weight of towel...or weight it down

hope this made since....

Have 600w MH/HPS and have kept at 16" minimum on both,i don't have a lux meter but i do have an aircooled hood and i have 23C(73F) in there right now (HPS at 16")
    Tent : 4x4

HPS/MH
    600W

LED
    2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
    BioBizzLight Mix
    Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
    Grow , Micro , Bloom , B-52
    Bud Ignitor , Big Bud, Overdrive
    CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals
    Nartak's 1st Grow - Canna Nutes - HPS 600W

Comment

• William and Sue Ashley
      Editing a comment
      How are you Nartak....The biggest deal with all of it is truly the air cooled hoods, remarkable....Have a great weekend...How old are your girls?....

• Nartak
      Nartak commented
      Editing a comment
      Very good,thanks!How are the two nesting growers of ours? Yes i also believe air cooled hoods are the biggest deal if you aren't using led!I was wasting so much time with that normal reflector the pack came with until i got the hood and it all went paradise in there!!Even with the HPS on a hot winter day temps are 25C max! Check my thread,girls are doing good,just worried about their size every now and again but i guess i'll have to wait 2 more months to see!!

My cooled tube has a temp. reading of 73 above with ventilation at 100% The bulb is a 600 watt MH that runs 24/7 so yes cool tubes are cool!

Comment

• Nartak
      Nartak commented
      Editing a comment
      I held back from the cooltube due to the reflector surface in comparison always to a hooded reflector!!Im sure they both work perfect for temp issues however!!

• bobsakamoto
      bobsakamoto commented
      Editing a comment
      Nartak, from your response to my lowe's useful thread i know that you are a kindred DIY SHIT spirit....with that in mind, have you seen on the interwebs how to make a cooltube from an arcane piece of pyrex (marketed i think in the 70s and 80s) that was specially designed to bake bread?

• Nartak
      Nartak commented
      Editing a comment
      No i have not!!PLEASE enlighten me!!I die for DIY lol!! I did do a DIY air cooled reflector with my exhaust fan attached to my reflector before i got the hood!!Theres pictures of it on my church journal

Wow....you guy's got it going on......

Comment

I have found that using heat is not always the best judge of distance. In this past grow i dropped my air cooled lights an inch from the glass for the first couple weeks of flowering by accident. I thought that the bulb was reading in the 60,000 lux but i made a mistake and it was reading over 150,000 lux. I raised the light after i did a light check and realized my mistake but can see signs of foxtailing from light stress. It was very minor but evident. I do not recommend basing distance by heat only, especially with air cooled light hoods.

Just my $0.02
      Last edited by Tersky; 01-21-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• William and Sue Ashley
        Editing a comment
        I agree....my first time and I turned them up to 600 and used the Lux......No good still to new and fragil.......Its your own grow....and beware...and diligent.....Watch and correct and everything will be Yield......

• Nartak
        Nartak commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally agree and that is the sole reason i have maintained a 16" distance minimum! I just witnessed hardcore nute burn on a couple leaves of 2 plants but they can suck on that one,once they realize its flower time they will drink up the shitload im giving them! 2.4 is my current limit!

Originally posted by William and Sue Ashley View Post
      Wow....you guy's got it going on......
      I hope you speak for all of us. (Little does he know)

Comment

• William and Sue Ashley
        Editing a comment
        I do....trust me (dontknownuttin).....LOL....

• Nartak
        Nartak commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh it's on alright!!!

Does lux meter work for LED’s also?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X