Companion planting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Companion planting

Hi all, whilst seed browsing last night on Royal Queen Seeds I came across some that may be helpful to the outside growers here. They do a line called Royal Guardians which is a collection of seeds if various plants such as peppermint, dill and sunflower to name a few. They do a few various packs for different things some that add nutrients and some that deter pests or you can get a complete pack that covers it all. Prices are pretty cheap when compared to cannabis and I was wondering has anyone here tried this type of protection and how well does it work? And for those that haven't tried it might be worth a go
    Here's a link for anyone interested. https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/48-companion-planting
    3'x3'x6' Secret Jardin grow tent
    Fox 6" carbon filter and fan with acoustic ducting
    Kocheal 2000w (actual 255w) Led
    Couple of fans for airflow
    First grow 2x RQS Fat Banana 1 x Silver leaf Critical crack og. All photo
    Soil, plain multi purpose compost with perlite added
    Nutrients - Bio Bizz Calmag, Grow and Bloom.

Yellow under blurple makes fluorescent orange 😀

That is awesome that they offer them in premade packs. Companion planting can be beneficial to enrich the soil. Legumes, clover and other plants fixate the atmospheric nitrogen and deposit it into the soil. There is also the deterrent factor, some animals and bugs won't go near certain scents. Some growers even put a few desirable plants for the bugs on the perimeter of their grow. If the bugs come, they will likely go to that plant first, so if you detect the buggers there, they are not far from the real garden. None of this is 100% foolproof, but it does give you another advantage over the armies of bugs that crawl and fly around looking for a nice meal. I'm guessing the mix would have to be regional though to account for different climates, bugs and predators. I like the idea.

Comment

Hey buddy. Never heard of Companion Planting before but it sounds similar to Permaculture. Permaculture can be understood as the growth of agricultural ecosystems in a self-sufficient and sustainable way. This form of agriculture draws inspiration from nature to develop synergetic farming systems based on crop diversity, resilience, natural productivity, and sustainability. Great subject to do some research on, very interesting.
      3rd indoor grow in 15 years.

2 x Wedding Cake(New420guy)
      2 x Grandoggy Jones(Connoisseur Genetics)
      6ft x 6ft BudBox Pro White
      4 x 37litre(10 Gallon) Bucket Company pots
      Professor's Nutrients 70% Coco 30% Perlite
      3 x ES 300's (2 x V2, 1 x V3)
      Professor's Nutrients feeding program(slightly modified)
      ISO-Max 200 exhaust fan with filter

Comment

• ChadWestport
        ChadWestport commented
        Editing a comment
        You hit the nail on the head. A huge part of permaculture / agroecology / sustainable farming practices. I love that you know about this stuff, I went to school for it and one day, I'll have 20 acres to make my food forest.

• newbutoldgrower75
        newbutoldgrower75 commented
        Editing a comment
        ChadWestport I started reading about Permaculture 10 years ago, got pretty interested in it and did a two week Introductory into PermaCulture course onsite at a Permaculture farm. Absolutely luved it, just wish now that I had taken it further. I definitely wouldnt have the knowledge that you have on the subject, how much schooling have you done? I envy you that you pursued something you enjoy, and that you will have a 20 acre food forest, my dream haha.

• ChadWestport
        ChadWestport commented
        Editing a comment
        That is awesome newbutoldgrower75 The main take away from all of these practices is that if you are a good steward to the land, the land will provide. Traditional farming is so ass backwards and pulling off organic farming is hard to do at scale, but there are a lot more success stories and the momentum is changing. The older generation is retiring or getting out of farming, the new group is coming with different ideas. I'm by no means am the authority on the subject, but I do know enough to be dangerous

It really blows me away of what can be done and has been done with the Sustainable approach to farming. It's never to late for you to keep learning because the industry is learning everyday too.

Yes i done this but not with cannabis with veg in my allotment garlic near carrots plus crop rotation plant peas in one spot year after plant brassica cauliflowers etc were peas were to bonefit from what they left in soil it does work got to be careful what u plant were if keep planting things in same place u get disease in soil u cant get rid of but in short it does work

Comment

I had a volunteer cannabis show up in my onion pot this year. No bueno. Her roots hated those things. She grew up to be a lollipop. Now that the onions are all gone she is almost pretty looking.

Comment

My ex and I were looking at land in BC to do sustenance living. She was/is Canadian, so I picked up enough Canadonian to get around. Heads-up to non Canadonians. Calling your ex's 15 year old female cousin a 'wanker', to her face, jokingly, is a really, real bad thing to do. I swear I didn't know. That whole thing didn't turn out, and here we are. Two of the best things that came out of that foreign adventure were a book called, "Carrots Love Tomatoes" and a book on permaculture. CLT came in handy for a few hundred square feet of garden I had with the ex. Permaculture is hard to do in backyard. I don't mean you people with acres of land as a backyard. I mean normal peoples'. It's like Feng Shue for gardens.

I mean, my kids. My kids were the two best things I got from my foreign adventure!
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6
          Nutes
          CalMag

Comment

Also this. Perhaps the greatest British Sitcom, ever. The buddy who got me into watching it liked the comedy. I really dug how they were living. And the comedy. Which was about as clean as British Comedy gets.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6
            Nutes
            CalMag

Comment

• buds73
              buds73 commented
              Editing a comment
              Can't beat a good British sitcom. You should take a look at "Only fools and horses" it's a British classic.

I have always ringed my veggie garden with marigolds & thrown in a citronella or 2 & some lemon grass (GREAT seasoning for Thai food!!) & they usually help deter insects some. This yr there are so many of em fleeing the fires that NOTHIN is gonna do a whole lotta anything. My bug zapper has been goin like popcorn.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              So, maybe planting weed and marigolds at the same time? Or, already flowering marigolds during veg then use ones you planted from seed?
              Every flowering plant bought at Home Depot is at the end of it's life. I always go for the ones with the least flowers but lots of buds coming up. Grandma taught me that one.

• JDU
              JDU commented
              Editing a comment
              As long as they get veg time light they keep poppin out new flowers. My memory is gittin jogged & the one in the veg tent didn't die but they like partial to full sun so they didn't thrive in there either.

• buds73
              buds73 commented
              Editing a comment
              Gingerbeard I'm doing my first grow in a tent and have not got any bugs so far fingers crossed. I was thinking more along the lines of the plants that provide nutrients. Going to have a look at some of the plants in the nutrient pack and see if any are compatible with growing in tent alongside. Got this idea that if it can grow in a tent to try a single plant in a larger pot with some other plants in with it. Thought it might be an organic way to provide nutrients but I suppose it could also have a negative effect in that they could also take up nutrients that cannabis needs.

jdu didnt u grow a future 1 clone what happened with that mate

Comment

Howdy Growell
              I do have a mini Future plant. Here she is- About 2wks since she showed buttons. I've enjoyed her- she hasn't been finicky at all. I might get some more next year.

Comment

I am far from an expert on this subject, but I didn't have bug one until I pulled up all the marigolds in my garden. I have raised beds around my house and garage and had a bunch of marigolds all over. The weed was in pots backed up to the flower beds and I think they did the trick.

Comment

Plenty of shade under the weed canopy. I might have to give this a shot. Although, I've been very fortunate not to have had any bugs.
                  More elephant!

Coco/perlite
                  3x3x6
                  Nutes
                  CalMag

Comment

nice one jdu mine have just started preflower yours looks good what u mean by mini these are suppose to be 37% thc mate

Comment

Nice! We're growin twins haha.
                      Mini cause I've had her in "park" for a few months not sure what I was gonna do with her so she's only about a foot tall with 4 main heads. 37% would be amazing!! 🤞

Comment

• growell
                        growell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        JDU thats what it saying it comes out considently in tests suppose to be second highest strain after sweet melissa mate

• JDU
                        JDU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well then I'm gonna have to git another one nxt yr!

Originally posted by growell View Post
                      these are suppose to be 37% thc mate
                      No offense to you good sir, but whoever gave that information has got to be high as hek. Flower does not produce 37% THC, concentrates yes, bud rolled in kief maybe, but pure flower from the plant, not at 37% I'd bet the house on it.

Comment

• growell
                        growell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        u owe me one house haha go on amnesia seeds or seed finder there saying that sweet melissa is 42% so fuck knows mate u know they write out to sell stuff

• ChadWestport
                        ChadWestport commented
                        Editing a comment
                        growell hahaha, not yet, but I may have to let you stay in the spare room
                        buds73 The CB scientific kit is $40 for six tests. They have a CBD and THC version. Wish we were close, I'd trade a bowl of mine for a bowl of your Hawaiian haze.

• buds73
                        buds73 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Had a look at that kit looks good and at $40 its worth giving it a go. Might invest in one when i get towards the end of flowering, wife might allow me to spend more money by then lol. Spending gone way beyond the couple hundred quid i originally anticipated when i had very little knowledge. I've held off totting up the totals so as not to depress myself lol.
                        I'd happily trade with you if we were close, i'm sure what your smoking will surpass anything i'm getting.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X