diluted dish detergent damaged my plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

diluted dish detergent damaged my plant

hello: This my first post in a few years. I have a really healthy 6' plant few weeks old growing well In Happy Frog soil . Really nice. I notices thrips on the plant so I decided to treat it with diluted dish detergent to kill the thrip. I have used dish detergent on other types of plants with no problems. I sprayed the whole thing and the next day everywhere that got sprayed had turned brown and started to claw It's stillll alive but very sick. I know what a dumb mistake. I should have tested on one leaf first with a soap proven to work on MJ. Anyway lesson learned. What should I do? Should I trim off all the brown bits right away or wait a few days or a week to see what happens? I don't want to tree it anymore. Any comments wold be welcome. Thanks. dairyman

I would rinse the plant off really well to remove any residual soap. I wouldn't cut anything off yet..see if it perks up at all.
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Tent
    Bruce Banner
    Kushy Kush
    2Cookies and cream

Comment

Why not use alcohol mixed with water ??

I just had them in my grow. And i sprayed Every night just before light were out, for a whole week. And I have nothing left.
      Even worked with spider mites as well and aphids.

try washing the plant like homegrown is suggesting.
      Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
      You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• hairyman
        hairyman commented
        Editing a comment
        Captain: thanks for the reply. What proportion of alcohol to water do you use? Hairyman

Peroxide will clean and give a good boost of oxygen. 1-4 tbsp per qt of the regular brown bottle hydrogen peroxide. I spray with this mix at least once a month but can be used daily
      TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
      s silver haze... strawberry haze...
      .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
      TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
      2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
      TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
      3 gallon pots all autos
      Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
      👇my one n only journal👇
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

I basically agree. Spray/rinse the whole plant to remove any residue but do not remove anything that isn't completely dead. While the solutions using peroxide or alcohol may well work, you plant has received enough shock, it doesn't require any more at this time.
        Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
        5 gallon cloth pots
        30"x30"x60" tent
        Spider Farmer SE3000
        Coco Pearlite mix
        GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          You won’t shock the plant with alcohol

Thanks everyone. The plant has perked up again although it has been in shock. All existing leaves are curled and deformed but the newest growth is starting to look normal. Once it recovers I will post a pic. Thanks again.

Comment

I mixed up some dish soap and Neem oil a month ago to battle thrips and damaged some plants twice over. I used concentrated dish soap (first mistake!) and also didn't realize that lights on leaves wet with Neem oil will burn! My grow books recommend using Dr. Bronner's instead of Dawn for insecticidal purposes. I switched to Lost Coast Plant Therapy and sticky traps a few weeks ago and have almost entirely gotten rid of the bugs.
          Coconut Grove
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
          32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
          Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X