diluted dish detergent damaged my plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

diluted dish detergent damaged my plant

hello: This my first post in a few years. I have a really healthy 6' plant few weeks old growing well In Happy Frog soil . Really nice. I notices thrips on the plant so I decided to treat it with diluted dish detergent to kill the thrip. I have used dish detergent on other types of plants with no problems. I sprayed the whole thing and the next day everywhere that got sprayed had turned brown and started to claw It's stillll alive but very sick. I know what a dumb mistake. I should have tested on one leaf first with a soap proven to work on MJ. Anyway lesson learned. What should I do? Should I trim off all the brown bits right away or wait a few days or a week to see what happens? I don't want to tree it anymore. Any comments wold be welcome. Thanks. dairyman

I would rinse the plant off really well to remove any residual soap. I wouldn't cut anything off yet..see if it perks up at all.
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice fishing hut
    2 Viperspectra 600 LED
    45W Root Farm grow/seedling light
    4 Vivosun oscillating fans
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    4" Vivosun fan/filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag
    FloraNectar
    Lost Coast Plant Therapy(WPM, Thrips,Mites,Aphids etc)

Current Grow
    1 double chocolate photo
    1 Crystal Candy photo
    1 Obi-Wan Kush photo
    re-vegging King Tut and Sex Bud for clones.

Comment

Why not use alcohol mixed with water ??

I just had them in my grow. And i sprayed Every night just before light were out, for a whole week. And I have nothing left.
      Even worked with spider mites as well and aphids.

try washing the plant like homegrown is suggesting.

Comment

• hairyman
        hairyman commented
        Editing a comment
        Captain: thanks for the reply. What proportion of alcohol to water do you use? Hairyman

Peroxide will clean and give a good boost of oxygen. 1-4 tbsp per qt of the regular brown bottle hydrogen peroxide. I spray with this mix at least once a month but can be used daily
      Grow for fun I don't smoke
      + byproduct keeps Old Lady happy she smokes

Half of 5x6 walk-in closest
      2 x 600w blurples / SF2000
      5 gal. Fabric / happy frog
      Earth Dust all natural organic

switched to flower
      9/9/20

5 x Jimmy's OG
      1.... Freddy Krueger

Comment

I basically agree. Spray/rinse the whole plant to remove any residue but do not remove anything that isn't completely dead. While the solutions using peroxide or alcohol may well work, you plant has received enough shock, it doesn't require any more at this time.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          You won’t shock the plant with alcohol

Thanks everyone. The plant has perked up again although it has been in shock. All existing leaves are curled and deformed but the newest growth is starting to look normal. Once it recovers I will post a pic. Thanks again.

Comment

I mixed up some dish soap and Neem oil a month ago to battle thrips and damaged some plants twice over. I used concentrated dish soap (first mistake!) and also didn't realize that lights on leaves wet with Neem oil will burn! My grow books recommend using Dr. Bronner's instead of Dawn for insecticidal purposes. I switched to Lost Coast Plant Therapy and sticky traps a few weeks ago and have almost entirely gotten rid of the bugs.
          Third state-sanctioned grow. Six plants in bloom. Two each of Acapulco Gold & Laughing Buddha from Barney's Farm and two Purple Haze from ILGM.
          4'X4' flower tent, AC Infinity 4" fan and filter, Advanced Platinum P4-XML2 LED
          RDWC six grow buckets and a reservoir.

One Seedsman Blueberry and one Sweet Zombie (Expert) in bloom.
          Advanced Platinum P-300 LED
          3'X3' tent RDWC four grow buckets and a reservoir.

Aurora Soul nutrients - Grow, Bloom, Infinity, Big Swell & PeaK.

On deck: Seedy buds - possibly Skunk #1, Ghost Train Haze, BC Mango, Tuna God, Bubba God, DP Blueberry, Cinderella 99 or Mother's Finest. I'm thinking a skunk in each tent - Skunk #1 & GTH?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X