Vacuum chamber for bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum chamber for bugs

My mind was thinking about things, last night. Bugs, mostly. Since lots of things can't live in vacuums, what about putting soil or plants in a vacuum chamber? There are kits for purging shatter after blasting. Perfect size for smaller pots and plants. At the very least, the bugs would get some mad ear popping.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

In Japan they have special spacesuits for bugs called nanosuits that are like a coat of armor. I don't know how fast things get around in the bug world but word might be out and all but peasant bugs could be suited up and ready for your little earthbound vacuum test.

Those crazy Asians, what will they think of next?

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      I spent an hour googling that FunkyButtLovin . Couldn't find anything about nano armor. Are you just funnin' me?

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy crap! I did a search for 'vacuum chamber for bugs' and sure as sh t if that bit about bug suits didn't come up.

• FunkyButtLovin
      FunkyButtLovin commented
      Editing a comment
      Argh I wouldn't do that ye. Well ok maybe I would but not on this fine morn ya scallywag.

Plants would die because of no oxygen...life cannot live in a vacuum.

Comment

I wonder about the effect it would have on soil. I doubt much would survive. I have a 3 gallon vac chamber and a vac pump. Maybe time for an experiment?
      5x5 Gorilla tent
      Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
      Infinity T8 exhaust fan
      Technaflora nutes
      Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• Tersky
        Tersky commented
        Editing a comment
        Plants breathe through roots so i doubt even that would work...I think ya'll need to stop smoking so much...

I'm not talking about growing a plant in a vacuum. I'm talking about a couple minutes. It's too early to have 'smoked so much.'

You people never take me seriously. How does it serve a man to save the whole dope smoking world from bugs at the cost of his own machismo?
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6
      Nutes
      CalMag

Comment

• dphipps1020
        dphipps1020 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was talking about smoking too much, it's never too early

• Gingerbeard
        Gingerbeard commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry. Post #5.3 should have been posted under post #6. Who's high?

• dphipps1020
        dphipps1020 commented
        Editing a comment
        This guy. Just got done smoking a joint. Opened up a jar of GG to burp it and it smelled so good I had to try it. Just jarred, but holy shit am I high! And it tasted great!

I'm not taking putting any kind of plants in the chamber at any point. Just soil that I plan to use for a grow. Wondering if it would kill off any type of bugs and such before I use it for a plant?
      And I haven't even smoked yet.... lol
      5x5 Gorilla tent
      Infinity T8 exhaust fan
      Technaflora nutes
      Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• Tersky
        Tersky commented
        Editing a comment
        Bugs can survive without oxygen for 12 hrs and they have an exoskeleton that prevents implosion mostly so i doubt that would work well.

Are there beneficial anaerobic microbes in the soil? People heat soil. Can't see a few minutes of vacuum would kill anything more than heat.

Perhaps overpressure?
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6
      Nutes
      CalMag

Comment

Good information Tersky . Then, maybe it's a long vac of just the soil? Put it on a hot plate?
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6
        Nutes
        CalMag

Comment

• Tersky
          Tersky commented
          Editing a comment
          The only thing I can see that might hinder that is eggs. Some insect eggs can go dormant for long periods of time, like 6 months or more. I think heat is the best way to kill pests and eggs (and weeds) in the soil and it is already used by agriculturists. Also mixing diatomaceous earth in dry soil will kill bugs and eggs. I had a flea infestation due to a family of bunnies that lives in my back yard and the only thing that worked was DE sprinkled in the carpets and around the border of the house. I say dry cause wet soil will dissolve the DE into paste and render it ineffective as DE works by lacerating exoskeleton. Death by a thousand tiny cuts!

Tersky you are being a well informed downer about this. I don't know whether to thank you for the information or call you a weener for busting my chops. I'll go with the former.

There is a vacuum fumigation thing. Fumigating exactly nullifies my uber organic bug control method theory. I use DE. I think, on my last grow attempt, I put too much in with the soil. All the plants were stunted and had pH and calcium issues. I'm thinking the DE and Cal-Mag might have gone overboard.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6
        Nutes
        CalMag

Comment

Autoclave ftw

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            My first job out of college was at a laboratory design firm. I don't know why I told you that. Maybe because of the autoclave reference. Not the ftw reference.

Fine..... I'll put the vac chamber back in the closet....
          5x5 Gorilla tent
          Infinity T8 exhaust fan
          Technaflora nutes
          Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            You have an autoclave?

No, just the vac system
          5x5 Gorilla tent
          Infinity T8 exhaust fan
          Technaflora nutes
          Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, get it out. Shake a few random bugs in it and see what happens.

I think if you pull the vacuum down far enuf, those damn eggs will explode, as will any other cell structure as the water is expanded sucked out. If pulled own far enuf and held there, I dont think much could live through it. As I understand it, it also makes some heat, never did it myself.
          Mythbusters did a thing on tenderizing meat with vacuum and explosions, the vacuum tore the cells open and made the meat tender. You can guess what blowing it up did.

Comment

How about this. I'll put dirt in the chamber and crank it up to 5 atmospheres for about an hour. Then suddenly go vacuum. See where I'm going? It'll give the little bastards the bends! I can already hear the screams. Their pathetic little screams.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6
            Nutes
            CalMag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X