Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you get good vibes from growing, or is it more a "chore/task" to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you get good vibes from growing, or is it more a "chore/task" to you?

Hello all!

I just germinated a new seed here the other day, and there's nothing really to post about it yet. But this time I really got them good vibes the second I saw that little sprout peeking out of the peat pebble. And since I regularly visit this site, just to brows or chit-chat a little, I figured; "Why not make a "good vibes" thread?

The thing is that I almost always get a good vibe every time I start a new grow. But whenever I start a new grow in the fall or winter, it's just so much better. Just a plethora of good vibes. And the reason for this is simple. Back in the day when I was a kid, early 20s, I went through my very first grow. And I germinated the seed around Halloween. I was all excited and eager to get things going. You know, the feeling? Phasing back and forth between your grow space and where ever you were sitting before (every 30 mins or so, hoping to see changes). Just like a 4 year old kid on December 23rd. You're reading everything about the topic that you can get your hands on. Just way too excited really :P hehe! And I have so many good memories from that first grow. And it went really well too, for a first timer. My third grow also took place during the winter, right before Christmas exactly. And it was also super exciting. I gave LST a try fro the very first time, and had some success with it. And this round also gave me loads of good vibes and memories.

So now, whenever I start a grow. Particularly in the fall or winter, I get this strange "Christmas spirit". It just gets me super excited and eager again.

And since I germinated a seed here the other day, I've been full on excited about this grow. More than usual. I just finished a grow, 2 weeks ago. Harvested 50 grams from 1 Auto I've been "fiddling" with for 11 weeks. I'm using a CFL bulb, so I don't get the real large harvests. But I'm starting to figure out how to use my setup to perfection. So this time I'll try and get the scale up closer to 100 grams, hopefully. I'm thinking about switching out my CFL for a 250W MH/HPS setup with a CoolTube. Which also made me super excited, because my very first setup was a 400W MH/HPS setup with a CoolTube.

So I'm full on super good vibes these days, even tho the Corona pandemic is "plaguing" everyone still.

So how are you feeling these days? Good vibes all the way? Does your grow projects (still?) fill you with happy thoughts and good vibes, or is it more of a chore for you? "Grow your own stuff, so that you don't have to spend so much money buying it from a dealer (retail or otherwise)?"

Hope you're all doing fine.

Peace & love

- C

Hi Cocho, Nice thread. Im on my first grow so get the comment about being too excited lol. Had to calm myself down several times Im sure if my plant could talk she would tell me to F@~$ off and give her some privacy. This has definately become an obsession and really helped distract from alot of negatives Ive had going on so I think I will always look at this grow with good vibes no matter what the outcome.

Comment

Love this Cocho♥️ I am a new grower, and am completely enamoured with the whole process. I spend hours daily reading about what my plants want, and testing out different methods. I thought I was the only one who visited each of my grow rooms every hour or 2 to see how the girls are doing 😂 Love seeing the difference in growth patterns between outside and in, LED’s versus traditional lighting, and feeding schedules. Growing brings me a great deal of joy, and I’m so glad that it does the same for you!!
      Cant wait to see your updates 😁
      Good vibes all around ✌️
      Attached Files

Comment

“So how are you feeling these days? Good vibes all the way? Does your grow projects (still?) fill you with happy thoughts and good vibes, or is it more of a chore for you? "Grow your own stuff, so that you don't have to spend so much money buying it from a dealer (retail or otherwise)?"

hello Cocho. Nice to make your acquaintance. Yes. I get good vibes from growing. I haven’t been growing but for a little over a year. 4 harvests. Overall, It’s not a job or chore to me but one aspect of it is. I find mixing the nutes a chore and am looking for an easier way to dispense. My very first grow was 1975. I sprouted some seeds in in the closet. Like my mom wouldn’t see anything. How dumb we were. I did not know anything about growing so I cut the tops of 4 oil cans, threw in some dirt, kept them moist, and they sprouted. Can’t remember how I was trying to light them. Mom found them. I lied about what they were. I’ve always wondered what would have happened to those plants. No cannabis growing for me from then til now. And what weed we have now! I’ve read more than I ever thought I would. I have a lot of respect for this plant. Especially after reading What a plant knows. One of my favorite movie lines, ‘stop with the negative waves.’ So yes. For me this is a positive experience and I’m learning about something that I’ve always wanted to know. And the really cool positive part is I can grow my own smoke.
        Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
        Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
        Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
          bboyfromwayback commented
          Editing a comment
          Have the AutoPots helped out on the watering? The run I have about to go into flower should be done mid December. I have a AutoPot system in the box I’ll be starting up first of the year. I’m counting on it to cut down on my watering lol

Hello sir... I really like your spirit and the sound of someone like myself who just loves to watch the magic of plants growing or should say Mother Nature with a touch of science just to get a small taste of the sweet nectar she produces.

I've been growing off and on for close to 36 years. The best part was the hike up the mountain to see what has happened in the month since I saw them last. The anticipation was just a burst of adrenaline that I got every time especially when I knew they had started to flower the last time I saw them. You mention Christmas and it brings back the memories because in the high desert where I live the girls would ripen just in time to harvest right before Thanksgiving with drying and cure time it would be ready to share with family and friends at Christmas. Thanks for bringing back all those memories.

About 6 years ago I started feeling bad lost any and all energy and drive. I couldn't figure out why I was going down so fast I was just so tired all the damn time. Then I started just randomly passing out no dizziness or anything it was like a light switch click and I was out. Only for a few seconds but that's long enough especially if you are doing 80 on a Harley luckily that didn't happen it did happen once in my driveway backing my bike out. I woke up under my bike on the sidewalk in front of my house. Doctors couldn't find what was causing it for over a year of testing. Not to bore you guys to death but 5 heart surgeries later then a fight with cancer last year. I'm finally better I'm using better kinda lightly.

Obviously I can't hike the mountains anymore so I've moved my operation into a closet (funny I'm in the closet lol) This is so much different from the way I used to grow. I used to run a couple hundred feet of clear hose through the bushes and now I'm measuring ph of water. I have to tell you though the anticipation and adrenaline is back and in a way I think it's better because like you said I get to stop in on the girls two or three times a day looking for anything new. I love growing even though because of I think it's my Rx shit smoking MJ is not enjoyable for me at all. It's just the great rush I get every day that I still grow.

Thanks alot for opening this conversation it definitely brought back some good memories and reminds me/us how good it is to be alive...
        TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
        s silver haze... strawberry haze...
        .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
        TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
        2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
        TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
        3 gallon pots all autos
        Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
        👇my one n only journal👇
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

The love between a grower and his plant is something to be experienced on an individual basis. If you have to ask I can't explain, but I derive great pleasure in removing their heads, stripping them down and then tying them down like a penguin in bondage. Them I turn up the lights, force feed 'em and make them dance for me. Oh yeah good times. But that is just me. you might be different and that"s ok. We are all here for love of the plant. Peace Out.
          “Rather laugh with sinners than cry with saints” Billy Joel Only the good die young
          ”I think I can, I think I can…”the little engine that could

Comment

• Xena
            Xena commented
            Editing a comment
            Penguin in bondage? WTF?

• cybersmib
            cybersmib commented
            Editing a comment
            Zappa reference from his Roxy and Elsewhere Album. One of the songs was "Penguin in Bondage".

I love growing, with everything going on it’s nice to just hangout with my plant and relax for a bit. First time growing and addicted to it now. A chore to me is something you don’t want to do but have to, my plant to me is family lol that I will have to chop down later

Comment

Generally speaking for me it's a love. Last 6months not loving it.......I mean lets be honest it's a different year for outdoor growers in the PNW. Indoor it's all in your control.
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Great post, thanks Cocho! It's both a chore and a joy. I ABSOLUTELY HATE being at the mercy of dispensaries.

Growing for me has been kind of a sanity lifeline for me. I'm just coming through an unfriendly divorce, moving to an entirely different town in a new home and having a bad reaction to the Shingrix shingles vaccine.

Beginning this hobby gave me something I could directly do to positively affect my quality of life. I greatly appreciate GWE and this forum for the support it's provided.

I'm in my 3rd harvest window, with my next crop (4th) just starting its vegetative period.

My methodology has been to basically go along for the ride, although I've been topping and defoliating during all three of my completed (almost) grows. I let things ride unless I see an obvious problem I need to correct.

I do intend to direct my attention towards nutrient requirements for individual plants. My Zombie Death FVck has had yellowing leaves for much of it's flowering period,although it'll make it to harvest in a few weeks. I want to learn a few nuances as I go.
              A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

I am definitely with you, my friend. I enjoy growing anything, but weed is special. It's my indoor hobby and I treat it as such. I enjoy every single aspect of the process from sprouting to curing. I love reading the forums and GWE. I love experimenting with new ideas and techniques. A favorite pastime is sitting on a five gallon bucket in front of my girls and talking with them (I love listening to an intelligent man talk and talking with an intelligent man), while enjoying a bowl. The whole process is a terrific hobby, the results is just the icing on the cake. I name my plants and right now I have Thelma and Louise growing quite nicely with a harvest due in about 5-6 weeks. Next up will be Manny, Moe and Jack. Every grow I try something new and I have learned a lot! Some people grow tomato's, some grow giant pumpkins, I grow organic artisan weed. Besides, It's low impact, environmentally sound, renewable, calming, educational, friendly and makes me popular!
                Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
                5 gallon cloth pots
                30"x30"x60" tent
                Spider Farmer SE3000
                Coco Pearlite mix
                GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• MeEasy
                  MeEasy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm sure glad I'm not the only one who has conversations with the girls in my closet. I normally name a couple of em that are normally my experiments. Jack frost =Jackie and so on. Or I just walk in there and say "what up bitches" I was told by the ol guy I worked for the one who taught me to grow he said "as you talk to your girls they eat the co2 from your breath making you a part of their life"

I love talking to my plants, I feel bad when I go out and smoke bud next to them lol. I also have it where I can look over from my living room and see the top her like she’s waving hi at me lol

Comment

For me it is a bit of both, I love growing and I feel it cleanses the soul and can give the feeling of accomplishment. However, when you are an outdoor grower, a true plants-in-the-ground outdoor grower and you get a freak snowstorm the end of August that is wet, heavy, nasty shit and you get to pull an involuntary all-nighter to shake snow off of them and try to hold back the tears from watching 6 months of love and care potentially be destroyed hour by hour, then it becomes work. Harvesting 20 or so pounder plants by hand with scissors only is also work in my book, I wised up and at least got a trimmer bowl.

Comment

• Yamkoos
                    Yamkoos commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I feel like you just dealt with that cold front that just hit

• Smerft85
                    Smerft85 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In a huge way, we had 6-8" and it was terrible, that's why I haven't posted new pics up anywhere. They look kinda sad.

Man what a bummer summer we've had Smerft85 you got that much snow already?? or is it rain ??
                  Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                  indoor/outdoor grower
                  1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                  1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                  I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                  Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                  Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                  Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Smerft85
                    Smerft85 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It was a two day freak storm, the first night was nearly an inch per hour of wet heavy snow, second night was a downpour of cold rain. Had 6' plants weighed down to 3' or less, broken branches and would have had mold for sure if I wouldn't have stayed up through the snow with them. After those two days back up in the 70's and 80's and mostly clear skies.

I love it, I look forward to it. My motivation wanes in the last two weeks of flower, because at that point you've done all that can be done for now. But I always look forward to the next time. I like all kinds of plants, plenty of veggies but they just bring me the same joy.

Comment

I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that I've hit a wall the past couple weeks. The Covid lockdown got the best of me this season and I grew way too many plants and the nearly constant attention required by so many plants has got me burned out recently. Unlike many of you, I don't partake much in smoking my product any longer but have a fascination with growing it still. I have a grandson who has been using it rather than antidepressants and my eldest daughter had a brain aneurism 20 years ago. She doesn't smoke but I make her edibles for sleep and balms for muscle cramps and aches. I just made her a batch of fudge today from some of my bud trim. Other than weed I have container grows of vegies, berries, herbs, and root vegetables. Indoors I have a nice collection of orchids that make me very happy in the morning sunshine with my coffee. Other than one sorry looking tomato and a single onion, the vegetables are done for this season. Luckily for me I had such a varied stable of marijuana strains this year that harvesting isn't as overwhelming as I feared because each plant is maturing at different rates. Even though I have been feeling burned out lately I'm already planning ways to improve my grow for next year. I have determined that it is imperative that I devise some sort of shading system for some of those inevitable scorching California heat waves. Can't start anything though until I get all these plants and containers out of the way. My balcony that I grow on is 42 feet long but little more than 4 feet wide and navigating past big rangy plants has resulted in more than a few busted branches. When I built the balcony, code wouldn't allow me to go wider with a cantilevered system. I am definitely looking forward to a little time off from being Mr. Green-jeans and occupying my time with some other diversions. In the meantime I gotta figure out what to do with all this weed. My youngest daughter came by yesterday and said she could smell it in the driveway. Hopefully by March I'll have my mojo back and be ready to grow.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X