Manifold question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manifold question

A few days ago I took a plant that was growing out the fifth node and after node 5 got up about 1/2 inch I cut it and then cut off nodes 1 and 2 (I took them off using my Fiskars micro pruners right up against the main stalk) now I have new growth coming out from where I took off nodes 1 and 2. I thought once I took those branches that all the new growth would be coming from the 4 branches (nodes 3 and 4) that were left. Did I do something wrong? If needed will try to post a picture.

i'll need a picture but here is the guide i use it should look like part 1 at first then you got to let the plant grow a little bit.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks I’ve read nebula on the manifold, that’s where I got the idea from. I know mine isn’t a true manifold start. I have 2 I’m messing with and the other is a true manifold. Here’s a picture, keep in mind I ain’t no farmbuck so my pictures leave a lot to be desired.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Xena
      Xena commented
      Editing a comment
      If you look where the two lower nodes used to be you’ll see the new growth.

So if i understand correctly the nodes you cut off seem to be growing back? I have never had that happen tbh. Are you sure you cut the nodes and not just the fan leaves? Not saying that is what you did but them growing back confuses me as i dont think that can happen...unless i just have never seen a plant do that.

Comment

• Xena
      Xena commented
      Editing a comment
      Tersky I thought that I cut the node off, hell I don’t know, like I said I put the blade of my pruners against the main shaft and cut, I thought it was as close as possible but hell I don’t know, only thing I know for a fact is if it can be F***ed up then I can F*** it up.

• gbauto
      gbauto commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I'd say you just removed the fan leaves at those nodes.
      I just use my fingers to 'rub' out those sucker branches.
      I would remove the two lowest sets of branches and work with what is left.

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      Xena dont stress about it man! I remember very clearly the first time i tried to manifold and i meant to cut the fan leaves below the nodes i was going to keep but actually cut the node branch i was going to keep instead cutting my harvest in half! We all make mistakes especially when trying new things. I have fucked up more plants than i care to admit but it was all part of the learning process.

Looks like a topped plant to me.
    640 watt hlg quantum board
    320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
    300 watt mars hydro sp3000
    150 watt hlg quantum board
    100 watt spider farmer led x2
    organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
    Water only i don't check ph
    6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

Each node contains a fan leaf and a new mini cola branch you must of mainlined really early and only cut off the fan leaves and missed the small growth growing a new branch if the plant looks healthy you might as well snip the new growth as if you don't it will start pushing them out i gave 2 pictures to show what it is about.

100% positive you must of missed the small growth as when it is cut it won't grow back hope this helps you.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Shankemdirty; 09-15-2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks all. So I cut too early, I got it. Will try the next time to get it right.

Comment

Here is some other pictures i found now every plant won't look exactly like this but here is a example best of luck in the future.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's a complete node removal sequence (fans/bud sites) below three Xena. I do this whether I top, manifold or just LST because it never produces any yield with my training method. Organic soil auto grower.

Comment

I don't think you cut them early at all. I believe you're referring to the growth under the fan leaves, correct? Those you can get rid of still. It looks like what Tersky mentioned, that you may have just missed the nodes and got the fan leaves. I've had them grow back, or in random places sometimes but not usually until they're flowering, unless I missed a part of it. I know it's probably not recommended, but I usually run my fingers down the branch to make sure it's all gone.

Comment

I have ran a manifold the way nebula shows in the tutorial. Was wondering if I ran on like nug bucket and split it to 16 arms if it would be worth it. I dont mind the extra time it may take in veg.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCnoviceMedical View Post
                  I have ran a manifold the way nebula shows in the tutorial. Was wondering if I ran on like nug bucket and split it to 16 arms if it would be worth it. I dont mind the extra time it may take in veg.

I followed nebula's tutorial with a couple of autos, but never kept count of the arms. Organic soil auto grower.

Comment

• Gluteous
                    Gluteous commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those look awesome!

Was just wondering if 16 arms would give a larger yield than 8.

Comment

• MeEasy
                    MeEasy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My understanding is by going with 8 symmetrical branches you will get equal growth and all of the plants energy is sent to those 8 making them produce their maximum. So by splitting them into 16 now the same amount of energy is being split into 16 right. With many rounds of experimentation they have come to the conclusion that 8 is the number that uses up the energy that the plants have to offer with minimal waste and maximum yield. So my guess is that they tried it with 16 and were unable to increase the yield because the plants didn't have the energy to fill all 16 branches with buds resulting in the same yield. It could be a space thing or maybe with 16 they couldn't keep enough distance for airflow resulting in a smaller yield. I couldn't find the answer for why the tutorials I've seen say 8 so these are just the reasons my little brain came up with not by my own experience

• USMCnoviceMedical
                    USMCnoviceMedical commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well with it explain like that then I'm not going to waste my time with 16 arms I'll go with eight and I'll just keep rotating more plants that are ready to flower into the tent thank you

• gbauto
                    gbauto commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have done the 8 & 16 methods on multiple grows and I prefer to form a plant with 6 main stems and then train tertiary branches as the plant flowers.
                    It seems to reduce the overall clutter, but it's still a forest.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X