Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does smoke from forest fire affect buds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does smoke from forest fire affect buds?

Anybody have experience with the smoke from fires and the flavor effect it has on buds?
    Tie Your Mother Down! (Queen)

I'm wondering that myself. I've been reading up on it here i am smack in the middle of 2 fires lots of ash and smoke. I'm saying not just like tobacco ash it's huge and some are big black floaters like newspaper from campfires ash. We are watering every inch nearly around our place. So the wine makers say it affects grapes i'm sure it's choking the plants also. I can go out and shake my several i got outdoors but these great Southern Oregon farms are not able to do anything. Many growers here have lost everything it's gonna be bad.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• majkjems
      majkjems commented
      Editing a comment
      I am here in Oregon,have the question about smoke and missing sunshine also. Will turning the grow lights back on help,even though my plants are flowering? is sunshine mandatory during flower?

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      What part of Oregon you in majkjems ?

• lalaland
      lalaland commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope you’re keeping safe out there.
      Our hearts are with you🤗

sorry to hear that soorbudgal mate stay safe

Comment

Thank you growell

indoor/outdoor grower
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

no worries just hope u and family come out and u dont lose anything seen on tv bad shit

Comment

Luckily I'm in no imminent fire danger, just wondering about the smoke from the fires close by and how it might affect the flavor. Tragic about all the loss of life, property, trees and wilderness. Usually I get a view of the copters filling up with water from a reservoir close to me. Smoke is so heavy today I can't see anything though.

Comment

• PLreef
            PLreef commented
            Editing a comment
            Super sad about the devastation the fires leave behind. It's unreal how fast they move. Hopefully you guys don't have any issues from it.
            I image the smoke has to have some type off effect on the buds.

• Mazzariman
            Mazzariman commented
            Editing a comment
            Right. We shall see how they turn out after a good washing.

We are gonna be socked in for a while here with smoke. I went over to a neighbor lady she grows a few plants just for fun she's in her late 70s. She wanted me to cut her plants do to smoke. They are inground and not near ready like the rest of us in my area not long enough now with no sun and cooler temps rain in maybe 7days or less? Well don't know about how much rain but if it hit's hard all Oregon outdoor is suffering i'm sure Cali is too. I just stuck 2 in my little green house and the rest will go under a canopy if it rains. Some may not even get done. Had another power outage, at least didn't loose the last 2 lights in the flower tent.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

Just went for beer run and there was ash on the windshield my truck. I live in southern AZ!! It must be terrible for you folks.

Comment

So many questions,not enough answers as to smoke,lack of sunshine and what to do to help? Anyone have a big idea? we are all wingin' it now!

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm 15mi outside of Roseburg majkjems up the North Umpqua. All we need now are locusts storms??? I shake my plants all day, i'm retired so i'm outdoors as little as possible right now. Very hazardous air but i do shake off the ash is about all i can do.

I am in Northern California and yes outdoor Buds Stick With Ash ... Allot of Ash!!Every Morning new Layer..
              420Chicano ( Auto Flower Run ) before Xmas!
              Fox farm Ocean 🌊Forrest 3gallon Fabric pots
              2 Lemon Skunk Plants
              (Maybe AONL ) if Seed sprouts (waiting) 😊☝️
              CFL/Led lights set up...taking these girls pretty close to Couch Lock 🔐

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                Thought we'd all be safe this summer was looking so good all it took was a couple of " jackhammers " lighting things. They arrested one in Phonix/Alameda for setting that off. He should be up for murder, arson crazy tweeker looking dude.

I give em a good shake several times a day to remove any ash. I'll give em a wash at harvest to remove any residue. It appears nobody has an opinion re how the smoke actually affects the final product. When all is said and done, I'll report any added flavors to my finished buds. Yikes! Maybe a new trend, Oak Smoked Buds served with a smoked Tri-Tip and a nice Pinot.

Comment

I did get some nice pics of the sun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sun 1.png
Views:	235
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	447446Click image for larger version

Name:	Sun 2.png
Views:	215
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	447447

Comment

• JDU
                  JDU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My bad. I got ya confused with majkjems
                  I saw the Cali fires on the news too. San Francisco looked about as bleak & smoky as Portland.
                  Thanks for the condolences- I deleted that post cause I'm not ready to give up. Idk if it's too late- they're pretty wilted but I'm gonna hang a T5 out there & see what happens.
                  Last edited by JDU; 09-12-2020, 11:21 PM.

• Mazzariman
                  Mazzariman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That explains it, good luck with reviving them JDU.

• JDU
                  JDU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks 🍻
                  Stay safe!

Center Light Par of the Sun ☀️
                420Chicano ( Auto Flower Run ) before Xmas!
                Fox farm Ocean 🌊Forrest 3gallon Fabric pots
                2 Lemon Skunk Plants
                (Maybe AONL ) if Seed sprouts (waiting) 😊☝️
                CFL/Led lights set up...taking these girls pretty close to Couch Lock 🔐

Comment

Just a bit off topic but I have a hack to improve air quality in the house. My sister took 2 furnace filters, a large box & a fan to create this air filter. Mom says it works fantastic.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I myself have no idea how this is going to affect the left coast buds, but as I see it it cant be good for them.
                  It is sad to see the loss of homes and here about the lives lost, for the forest its a good thing (maybe to much of a good thing for us) some plants dont grow until after a fire.
                  I certainly dont want to face a fire like those, the little johnson grass fires here were nothing compared to pine trees burning, enuf to tell me its nothing to take lightly.
                  Best wishes to all our left coast folks, I hope the rains come with little wind and lightning to help put out the fires.
                  We have a group here doing stomp dances for left coast rain, hope it helps.
                  All y'all be safe!

Edit the smoke moved over us here in Oklahoma yesterday, we were supposed to have sunshine, didn't happen. /Edit
                  Last edited by Rwise; 09-13-2020, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X