50% germ rate πŸ˜’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50% germ rate πŸ˜’

I used the paper towel method and had two Hulkberry Autos and two Northern Lights Autos by Seedsman on the plate. Both HBs germinated within 72 hours. Neither NL had germinated after 14 days, even though they both looked like they split, one of them ended up growing mold.

Second time around, I had one NL Auto and one LSD Auto. The NL seed germinated within five days, but the LSD split and appears to have stopped doing anything else at seven days in now. It also looks like it’s grow mold.

Have been using a seedling heat mat. I thought the first plate maybe got too cold while set at 75f in the beginning and I turned it up to 80. The second plate was started at 85 based on some advice I was given, but I’ve since turned it back down to 80 after the paper towels were drying quickly. I’ve tried having the paper towels saturated and also just having them damp. I’ve tried tap water, distilled water, and purified water.

I read that some people first soak their seeds, letting them swell and split before placing them on paper towels, but as all three failed seeds were started in saturated paper towels and all split, I’m not sure soaking them would have given me different results. Is 50% a normal amount and I’m being unrealistic? I’m tired and frustrated.
    2 Hulkberry Autos, 1 LSD Auto, 1 Dos-Si-Dos Cookies Auto

My first grow ever! Except for mold in my fridge.
    In VERY Illegal, USA

4- 5gal DWC w/ top feed
    48x60x80 tent
    600w SE HID
    6” exhaust fan
    6” active intake
    GH Flora trio (hardwater) + Hydroguard + CaliMagic

Using:
    Tap water
    Frozen water bottles to keep temps between 64-72 (as close to 68 as possible)

I’m by no means an expert but at $10+ per seed I’m firing off an email to the breeder if I get that low a rate.

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
      FunkyButtLovin commented
      Editing a comment
      It sounds to me like all the seeds were viable but OP accidentally killed half of them. We've all done it.

50% is low but that doesn't mean that half of them were no good. In my experience, if they split open then they'll grow and if they don't, I chalk it up to user error at that point. I also quit using the paper towel method because after doing a few runs soaking for 16-24 hours then straight into soil, my already good germination rates got even better and more consistent.

Comment

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. This is the method I use as well. I've found shot glasses to be the easiest to use for soaking. Hell, I don't use them for anything else any more πŸ˜‚

I have had even worse results. It is a learning process and I'm still a student. It takes a lot of practise.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

You can never let the paper towel dry out...EVER. If those seeds split and the towel dries out..their goners. I always soak my seeds in a shot glass for 12-18 hrs..watching them more closely after 12 hrs. Any that split(even the smallest crack or tiny white tip) come out of soak and onto wet paper towel on a saucer and cover with another saucer.(keeps the moisture inside and the towel wet- Check that often!)) They dont need to be hot, just warm. I wouldnt go over 80. I use my PC modem for a heat source..lol it works.(once i get a sprout, say 1/4" i put in my grow medium) I'll have to look back but i think i soaked 35 seeds this grow and 32 are growing. The other three never cracked open. Dont give up.. just give them more attention for the first 48 hrs.
      Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
      Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
      6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
      Canna Coco/perlite
      General Hydroponics Flora Series
      Cal/Mag.

Tent
      Bruce Banner
      Kushy Kush
      2Cookies and cream

Comment

Seed in the soil ! Water ! Boom seedling.
        stop the paper towel method and the glass method. Mother Nature never used these methods to complete a love cycle of cannabis
        Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
        You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the β€œbest” lol

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          Never ever in my 10 years in Amsterdam Or Eindhoven I have bought a bud with a seed in it. Sorry to say that is just my experience.

• dphipps1020
          dphipps1020 commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to only get lucky with seeds in a bag of dispensary weed once in a while. Only ever had 2 end up being male though.

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea.
          But when you pay for something, and in Holland the price can be heavy sometimes, then a seed is really a no go.
          I would be so pissed

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X