Your thoughts on 5 gallon smart pots vs. 3 gallon smart pots in small tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your thoughts on 5 gallon smart pots vs. 3 gallon smart pots in small tent

I am in the process of starting my fourth grow. Things are settling down as far as getting in the groove of perpetual harvests. My timing still needs work but I suspect I'll always be wrestling with grow schedules the rest of my life.

Anyhoo, I have been more than satisfied with my harvests except for one thing - quantity. I'm NOT loooking for monster harvests, just something to bump up my yields a little.

Have any of you tried both 3 gallon and 5 gallons pots in a small setup, like mine? Did you notice the 5 galllon pots produced more? My personal limit of plants is three. I have enough room to perform watering and maintenance. I also have had enough this harvest to last me until my next one in a few weeks. However, I'm starting the fourth crop late. I may be suckin' wind come around December
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Big roots = big fruits. The larger pots will allow for a larger root ball which allow for a larger plant..
    “Rather laugh with sinners than cry with saints” Billy Joel Only the good die young
    ”I think I can, I think I can…”the little engine that could

Comment

Because of your small space, (My first was a 2x3x4.5) here are my thoughts.

Absolutely the most important thing to think about when determining the number of pots... get ready for it... circulation. If you can't circulate over, under, and around all of your pots, and are not sure pots will not be touching in the future, you have too many pots.

Penultimately, wrap your head around training techniques.

You can fit more smaller pots in a tent than you can large. More plants means you can have more strains. Should you get one to hermie or go ballsy, you have several backups. Fewer pots, well, the opposite of what I said about lots of pots.

Consider final height of your plant. My 4.5 could hold a 2.5' tall plant. You can fill your space with bud, regardless of how many plants you grow. A single plant in a large pot, well trained, can give you a nice plant and lots of smoke. A sea of green can be done with several small pots because the plant's don't get too tall.

I liked 4 pots in my space. I was fortunate not to have lost any, in there, but had I lost half my crop, I would still have two.

Maybe take a look at how much training you want and are able to do.

Hold on. I just reread. You are not looking for monster harvests? Forget what I said, man. I don't know how to help you if you ain't looking Should have read it like I wasn't high.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

I am an outdoor container grower and because I grow on a balcony, stealth is a pretty crucial aspect of my grows. I control the size of my plants almost exclusively by container size. I have pretty much settled on 5 gallon pots because it seems to limit my plant height to roughly 31/2 feet. If you have the room in your tent, some creative training in larger pots will increase your yield substantially.

Comment

I have a 3 x 3 (ft) tent. I'd planned on running two pots at a time and even got in and moved empty stuff about to see what I could comfortably do. Then reality came in and messed that all up. First grow was three pots and the second ended up with four due to the solo cup competition earlier this year. I'm nearing the end of the third go and this time I have a single photoperiod plant (a tri-leaf to boot) and I'm enjoying this one much more. I can actually move things about without damage to it or me. The 2 x 4 you're running lends itself to three across very nicely. My four pot grow was two 5g and one 3g bag plus a solo cup. I mention the solo only because it took up space of at least another 3g bag. It was very difficult to move the 5's about after watering but those plants did get very large. Yield wasn't much different actually but I did have to learn to supercrop one plant that was going for the stars. Since you have access to the pots from the front and not a deep reach you may want to try two...a 5 and a 3...of the same strain and see where it goes. It's all just fun so enjoy.
          TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
          EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
          AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
          IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

Comment

See old folks think alike LOL i use 3gal for auto 5gal for photo. In 3x3x6 i can run 4-3gal auto easy for me if i run photos in same tent i would do just 2 5gal. i like to veg for 2+months. Just add 2 addl. pots of equal strains to my 4x4x? LOL
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

How long do you plan to veg?

Comment

• BR2K
                BR2K commented
                Editing a comment
                The standard 30 daysish.

• FunkyButtLovin
                FunkyButtLovin commented
                Editing a comment
                3 gallon is my favorite for that veg length indoors.

More light, more yield. Keep the same setup you’re familiar with and get a more powerful light.

Comment

• BR2K
                BR2K commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the suggestion. My 315W LEC is about the most potent light I dare put in my tent.

• bboyfromwayback
                bboyfromwayback commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s better. Your post shows 128w. In a perpetual setup you’ll be able to grow a bigger variety with greater yield running smaller pots because you can fit more of them in the tent. Only give them 2-3wks above ground then switch to 12/12. 2 gallon pots are perfect but they’ll need watered daily eventually. 3 gallon pots won’t need watered as often but you’ll be a couple plants less than using 2 gallon pots. You’d be surprised how much yield you can accumulate with such little veg time running a perpetual this way. The only downside is it’s a lot of work but if you want yield it’s worth it.

• BR2K
                BR2K commented
                Editing a comment
                bboyfromwayback - Thanks for the note and the recommendations! I've updated my profile

Once again, you guys come through with flying colors - THANKS!! I am still uncertain which I willl choose but I have a few weeks to decide. I am leaning to two 3 gallon for my Indica dominant plants and one boutique strain (Golden Tiger X Panama) in a five gallon pot. I huddle my plants as best I can, under my light. The Sativa I'm finishing up is against the back wall, with the LST'd colas lined up. The Indicas are in front.

I am expounding on the experience I've gained from these three grows. My current grow, I filled two 3 galllon grow bags to the tippy top. The third, my little Cheese has a couple of inches. I'm really glad I maximized my Zombie Death Fuck's coco/perlite bed. I suspect it may still be a little too restrictive, as I have some fan leaves that don't look very dark...
              A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X