Just found out Composted Pine Bark in my soil is a bad thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Just found out Composted Pine Bark in my soil is a bad thing

I've spent a ton of time reading this website and forum, but I never saw the bit about bark being bad until today. Apparently, it's acidic which explains why my runoff is in the pH 5 range. It's Day 39, so probably too late for a transplant. What can I do to salvage this grow??? My degassed tap water is around pH 8. Thanks for your help...ya'll rock!!

Here are my three White Widow Autos on Day 38. I spotted the first pistils on Day 27. I've got more blooms than I can count but none have many pistils. They're 23" tall and the light is 24" away. I've had Veg+Bloom on since day 10. 24/0 at first and 20/4 since day 30. I have to harvest them by day 85, so I'm a bit on edge. I don't need a big yield, but I gotta get 'em done!
    Last edited by Cheesy; 09-03-2020, 11:59 AM.
    3x3' space in back of closet
    VIPARSPECTRA LED V600 Grow Light. Actual = 260W. Veg+Bloom 24/0-->20/4
    Model V600 iPower 4" inline exhaust fan with carbon filter vented outside
    Soil is 8-4-4 natural organic 45-day slow release with peat moss, composted pine bark (bad), perlite, vermiculite (bad) and Mycorrhizae
    Vivosun 5 gallon grow bags

Dyna-Gro Grow & Bloom
    1st Grow: 3x White Widow Auto (Fem)
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...w-auto-journal

It can be really difficult to find soil mediums that do not contain pine or redwood bark. I have found that if I run it through my compost bin for a few months it mellows out substantially. Your plants don't seem to showing any ill-effects and look very healthy. I don't understand why you feel you have to harvest on day 85?

Comment

• Cheesy
      Cheesy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply. On or before day 85, 'cuz we're packing up the RV and leaving town the third week of October. How do my autos look for day 38? Eleven days since the first pistils. Lotsa bud sites but not many pistils per site. I've backed off nutes. Now I'm doing 1/4 strength bloom every other watering...every 4 or 5 days. More? Less? Should I water with unadjusted tap water...pH 8 to try to get the runoff up into the 6 range?? Thanks for any input...cheers...

That would explain it all right. there isn't anything that I am aware of that would speed things up maturity wise. Harvest when you have to and hopefully it will be long enough.

Comment

• Cheesy
      Cheesy commented
      Editing a comment
      What should my pH strategy be? Water with 8 to try get the runoff up to 6? Thanks...

• crucialbunny
      crucialbunny commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not the right person to make recommendations on chasing PH problems. I switched a few years ago to living soils so I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore. I water and organically fertilize now and the soil takes care of itself.

Next time just buy soil for tomatoes.
    At totally normal soil. But it has the right Ph for cannabis. And even the right nutrients. Haven’t fed my plants in the first 10 weeks of veg.
    Your plants look fine, I wouldn’t worry so much
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Add pelleted dolomite lime to the soil so the plant can buffer it (I would also add pelleted sulfur, but only half dose). Another bad with wood chips is while they decompose they suck Nitrogen out of the soil, then when they rot it is released back into the soil. Just the opposite of what we want.
      I also agree your plant is tolerating it well.

Comment

• Cheesy
        Cheesy commented
        Editing a comment
        Appreciate the input folks. I saw the bit about the dolomite lime yesterday and I ordered some just now. I probably have to water tomorrow. Should I water with unadjusted water (~pH 8) or adjust it down to pH 7?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X