why is it so difficult to grow without any issues as its only a weed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why is it so difficult to grow without any issues as its only a weed

Back in the 60' & 70's when we wanted to grow, we just threw seeds in the soil and wallah. These days it has all become a science and industry. I think that part of the problems are these days is that the seeds are genetic mutants which I thought would be easier to grow but I have not had any luck as yet with several different varieties and different growimg mediums

In the 60s and 70s you guys didn't care much about quality either. It's pretty easy when you get the basics down, everything else comes with experience.

Comment

• Lew
      Lew commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for comment but let me please say that back then , quality was the same as it is now as everyone always wants that and nothing else. We smoked mainly Acapulco Gold, Colombian & Jamaican , all good qualities I do say and miss them dearly now, take good care and stay safe

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      Or at least you thought it was quality back then but weed has come a long way in 50 years. I'm not that old but it's come a long way in the 25 years I've been smoking I can tell you that for sure. The main reason is that they've found what works best for growing this amazing plant and still continue to improve on it. It's basically broken into a few categories but the biggest is plant nutrition. They've figured out what the plants need at different stages and broken it down for people like us. Can you use dirt? Yeah but you're not going to get a very big plant out of it, if it even makes it through flower. Just like with a flower or vegetable garden, if you want good looking plants you have to feed them properly. You get back what you put in. Good luck with your grow.

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Lew I do so miss the landrace strains we used to get!
      dphipps1020 What I grew in the old daysa would rock your worlds, I made my own strain from the landrace seed that we got..

Maybe you’ve been smoking too much weed for the last 50 years and forgot 🥴 They do take a bit of care and attention, not just chucking a seed in soil and hoping for the best. Once you find a method that works for you it’s quite easy

Comment

• Lew
      Lew commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey MagicMike, now you made me laugh a real good one so I thank you for that, never get enough of them , thats for sure so thanks again. Take care

• MagicMike66
      MagicMike66 commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries man, good to hear

I Think it’s quite easy when you get to understand the basics.
    Honestly I don’t think it has something with science to do, More like biology.
    And of course like dphipps is saying if you want quality weed, you have to invest some hours in the plant and what it needs.

like riding a bike, once you learned it, you will always remember it.
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• USMCnoviceMedical
      USMCnoviceMedical commented
      Editing a comment
      Last I checked biology falls under science.

your right we used to throw seeds in the cow sh-t and didn't bother to check them until October, But if you compare the two its night and day difference ,If I could send one of my doobies back to you in the 60s/70s it would be a holy fu-k moment what did I just smoke lol, All the info you need is on this website and we love to help people with there issues
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

I can’t speak for the 60’s and 70’s but today’s weed is much better than anything I smoked in the 80’s and 90’s which, in turn, I’m sure was way better than weed in the 60’s and 70’s. You could still throw some seeds in the dirt and grow them.

Comment

I agree that it is not that difficult once you get basics down. I also agree that weed in the 80's and 90's was shit compared to what we have now. The one thing about weed in the 60's is the emphasis was not on THC like it was in the early 2000's and the CBD to THC ratio's were better creating a better effect in some peoples eyes. If you want to throw seeds in the ground and leave it for several months that can work too, but you will probably lose a couple plants from pests and environment and you probably wont get the same quality you would if you paid attention to it. Also, who knows what else you were smoking as people were not too concerned with insecticides and such. Now we have indoor growing which is a little more complicated (though still not hard if you understand the basics). If you want to half ass grow weed expect half ass results. Growing weed is not for everyone. I never understand people who dont want to put in the time to do things right.

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
          UndergroundFarmer commented
          Editing a comment
          The only thing I miss about 80's & 90's weed is my lack of a tolerance!

I smoked in the 70's to early 80's. Mostly weed from Mexico. $10 a lid. Occasionally some of the exotics at the time showed up but they were more $$. Didn't smoke at all from 1983 until 2018. I can't really remember a high from the 70's other than it was usually good, but not always. Night and day difference between then and now. IMHO.
        Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
        Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
        Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Lew I am in the middle of my third grow. I guess I got a little lucky, in that I've had two successful (smallish) harvests. I reconcile myself to the parameters I decided upon and am content. I LOVE my small, controlled environment. It has remained relatively insect free, for six months. That may have something to do with my Venus fly Trap (VFT) consumption policy. It's posted that any insect trespassers are subject to incarceration within the VFT environment. I suspect that the word's gotten around...

I have decided that coco-perlite is my "soil" of choice and I ALWAYS get my PH to the recommended acidity. I cannot stress enough, how helpful the GWE website has been for me: https://www.growweedeasy.com/

golfnrl I am enjoying my Acapulco Gold but need to perfect my timing. I have a theory that the older, closer to landrace strains may be the overall best choice for me. That's because they have a better balance of THC/CBD. Honestly, I don't remember the 70's too well either The weed was good enough, apparently.
          A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
            bboyfromwayback commented
            Editing a comment
            I grow in cocoloco now but I was straight soil for years and I’ve never had a bug issue. I think it has a lot to do with the quality of your soil (I always used FFOF) how you store the soil not being used and how clean you keep you grow space/house in general. Most indoor growers who post pics of bug issues have a dirty grow area.

• BR2K
            BR2K commented
            Editing a comment
            bboyfromwayback So, you're saying it's my hygiene habits and NOT the sign?!

• bboyfromwayback
            Editing a comment
            No no! That sign works. It would keep me away lol

In the 60s, 70s a bag full of seed cost $10, thats a lot of seed to plant and if just 1 of those made it you got a harvest, if 100 made it you smoked all year. I have had so many seed I went out in the woods, planted them and never went back.
          Today with seed costing $3 to $60 per seed plus shipping, we expect a lot more from them. And we pour the goodies to them and care for them, so they do make more for us. I am certainly not tossing seed I bought out to never go back!

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Ooooooh, I want to try one of them $60 seeds!!!

This just sounds like a bravado measuring contest.

When I was a teenager I'd get drunk off of 3-4 beers; today it takes me a 12-pack. Doesn't mean 5% lager in my youth was stronger than an 8% IPA today.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
            Editing a comment
            No bravado, strains today have been genetically altered to be more potent along with improving the growing process altogether

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL...

• MDR
            MDR commented
            Editing a comment
            Hence why I compared a 5% lager to an 8% IPA.

The debate is about as meaningless as comparing 60s athletes to athletes today. It doesn't mean today's athletes have more talent. It means the environment they cultivate that talent is more controlled.

Alrighty lets talk about it....my weed i grew back in the 70s as a teen hiding from my parents was shit. I did'nt know i smoke the leaf. The weed we bought came from TJ Mexico. It got us high but not like the THC strains today. It is to me far more potent. I love that we know how to breed females and not wait to sex out males. Yes the indoor grow environment has become like the Iphone for apple. Lights, tents or grow spaces are now highly thought about by growers that want to produce top shelf bud for themselves at home. I just told off this dispensary in town about how they can stuff they $20 grams up their asses.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
            Editing a comment
            I’ve never been to a dispensary but my cousin brought back some gummy bears that were really good. I could pay for them bc I have no idea how to make them myself but they can suck eggs with their $400 a oz bud

• WeirdWiredWolf
            WeirdWiredWolf commented
            Editing a comment
            Making gummies isn't super hard, I've done it a few times. Leafly and Wake And Bake have recipes...but I found that I have to use a lot more gelatin than they recommend.

Yeah I haven't been to a dispensary for a while now and I don't miss those prices one bit SoOrbudgal . I was getting an oz for $115 so it wasn't too bad, but still pricey. The bud was on the sale shelf but at least it was good quality, most of the time. I actually got seeds from some of the bags, lucky me.

​​​​​For gummies bboyfromwayback you should look at the recipe on GWE. They're really easy to make and for the cost of about 2 from the dispensary, you can make double, almost triple on the first run (if you do a double batch). Another bonus is you use your own buds/trim (I use my trim) to make RSO, which can be mixed into just about anything edible. Matter of fact I need more 4²0 Extractor (Colorado made version of Everclear) to make more. That just reminded me 😂 Also, the potency of my gummies is way higher (pun intended) than the ones there. Oh, and you can get fun molds for them. I have pot leaves I found for mine and each batch is about 1 2/3 of a mold (14 gummies). Definitely worth looking into. The RSO is a bit of a pain, but I usually make my first gummies with what's left in the skillet, that way I don't waste anything.
          Last edited by dphipps1020; 08-27-2020, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the info! I should’ve knows GWE would have edible recipes. That may be the one thing I haven’t looked at on here.

You know, dumping a few thousand bagseeds out in your yard and replanting whatever survives and reproduces is how landraces got started in the first place.
          Coconut Grove
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
          32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
          Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Correctamundo. Thing is, you look at places where it has naturally thrived and produced fantastic Cannabis, and those places have had (up till global warming) the best soil and weather conditions for our beloved plant.

Lew I have also been smoking since the 60s; I remember some awesome hash from my high school days--I can still remember its aroma--but I didn't ever get my hands on the good weed back then.

I've been growing hydro for four years, and it's the most goddamned fun I've had in a long time. I'm delighted with all the new technology and the fact that I can buy cup-winning proven strains online. Like we used to say back in Lawrence, KS in the 70s, ya can't beat that with a stick.
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• PLreef
            PLreef commented
            Editing a comment
            There definitely a learning curve for me but your right. It is a shit ton of fun. I love coming home and checking on my gardens.
            Side note when I was stationed at Fort Riley we would go party in Lawrence KS all the time.

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            PLreef I have the fondest memories of Lawrence, and I've lived all over this damn country. Man, it was heaven in the 70s.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X