LED hanging height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED hanging height

Hey folks. Question for the masses. I recently received a free light from Hydrobuilder.com because the light I ordered(Spectrum King SK402) was on back order. The free light they sent me was a Covert UFO 150 watt LED. Thought that was super generous of them. I have it over 2 week old autos. The manufacturer says to hang the light at 24"+ over for veg and around 12" for flower. Originally I hung it at 20" because..... well...... apparently I'm dyslexic..... The leaves started showing signs of too much light. I have them raised to around 26"/27" now. Hopefully I didnt stun them too much. Only time will tell. The new light will be here Tuesday. Any thoughts on how high the SK402 should hang? Manufacturer specs are 30" to 42" for veg and 12" to 18" for flower. The new light is considerably stronger light at 440 watts. Should I try to max out the height? Or even higher? 42"+ above? The last thing i want to do is stress my girls out even more. Im growing auto so I know I don't have much recovery time between fuck ups. Hoping you guys have some good insight for me.
    Also wondering if all goes well by the time I go to flower, would it be a good idea to hang both lights in the tent? More light more better or will the just be over kill and bleach my whole crop?
    Thanks everyone, you guys rock. Jas
    5x5 Gorilla tent
    Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
    Infinity T8 exhaust fan
    Technaflora nutes
    Nectar of the Gods soil

The UFO should be comparable to a single QB setup.
    Based on that, typical veg would be 30-36"
    I'd try it at 20" during flower.
    400 watts of decent diodes in a 3x3 will need at least 20" of headroom, probably more because the 402 is essentially a single point of light.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Nice scooter I ride an 07 Heritage..... I would put the king led at max height and lower it a couple inches every day or two eventually to 30inches and once you see some pre flower start lowering it a couple inches at a time again until you get to 18 inches... I'm not sure of what the footprint is on that light but if it's 440 actual watts it should flower a 3x3 fine adding the other light probably wouldn't hurt light is food. As for the height during flower my preference is 18inches and I'm only running 200w and 2 120w blurples I seem to be getting better penetration at 18 than at 12 but I'll bet everyone you ask will have a different preference
      good luck
      TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
      s silver haze... strawberry haze...
      .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
      TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
      2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
      TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
      3 gallon pots all autos
      Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
      👇my one n only journal👇
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

Take the safer route till you understand the distances.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• JDU
          JDU commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. A lil bit of stretch is better'n burnt tops.

Buy a light meter on amazon brother

Comment

Originally posted by MeEasy View Post
          Nice scooter I ride an 07 Heritage..... I would put the king led at max height and lower it a couple inches every day or two eventually to 30inches and once you see some pre flower start lowering it a couple inches at a time again until you get to 18 inches... I'm not sure of what the footprint is on that light but if it's 440 actual watts it should flower a 3x3 fine adding the other light probably wouldn't hurt light is food. As for the height during flower my preference is 18inches and I'm only running 200w and 2 120w blurples I seem to be getting better penetration at 18 than at 12 but I'll bet everyone you ask will have a different preference
          good luck
          Thanks man! Mines an 86 Heritage. First year the Evo motor came out. Just got done putting a new starter, exhaust, carb rebuild and a ton of odds an ends. HD = money dump...

5x5 Gorilla tent
          Infinity T8 exhaust fan
          Technaflora nutes
          Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• MeEasy
            MeEasy commented
            Editing a comment
            HD= Hundred Dollars
            I got sick awhile back and had 5 heart surgeries in 3 years then as soon as I realized I was gonna live through it I was diagnosed with cancer spent last year fighting that shit. I needed some money and had to sell my 76 shovelhead had to choose one of them to keep decided on the 07 because it rides smoother is easier to maintain and cheaper all around to own

Originally posted by Covid420 View Post
          Buy a light meter on amazon brother

I've been looking recently. Im a little confused about the meters. Theres a million different ones. Wasn't sure if i should buy a lux light meter or a par meter.
          5x5 Gorilla tent
          Infinity T8 exhaust fan
          Technaflora nutes
          Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• MeEasy
            MeEasy commented
            Editing a comment
            There's apps for your phone in the Google store that makes your phone a lux meter and they're free

Edit = lux meter is not very effective for measuring LEDs because of the narrow spectrum not visible by the meter..... or some bullshit that sounds like what I said... I'm not as smart as an led light but I know that you won't get a correct reading with a lux when measuring LEDs
            Last edited by MeEasy; 08-15-2020, 06:51 PM.

Thanks for the advice guys.
          5x5 Gorilla tent
          Infinity T8 exhaust fan
          Technaflora nutes
          Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

Originally posted by Jasreef View Post

I've been looking recently. Im a little confused about the meters. Theres a million different ones. Wasn't sure if i should buy a lux light meter or a par meter.
            The chart I posted is from GWE and is recommended lux reading. Par seems overly complicated to me personally. I got.the knew gwe recommended. Watch for sales.

Comment

Manufacturers recommendations will be in the box. Start there & adjust to YOUR plants desires.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X