Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disabled, senior female noob > LEDs. Have many questions, made mistakes, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I nute-watered plants early this morning, made a gallon for each, pH was 6.6-6.7 going in. They weren't draining yet, I had to leave soon. I had one more gallon of de-chlorinated water nearby that I pH'd to 6.5 and divided it among the three. Tested drainage on two, it was 6.5x. My tower fan died. Nephew is going to help tmrw afternoon to remove the screwed-in shelf and drill holes in the pot rims. I could use each shelf bracket next to the walls for clip-on fans. My GH trio won't be here for 6-7 days. I have CalMag, fish emulsion and Flower Fuel here. What would you suggest feeding while waiting on the GH, after I go 12/12 this weekend? TYSM!
    Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
    Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
    Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
    Various size fabric grow bags
    Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
    4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
    Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      The choice is feed them what you have for now,
      Recent pictures are really Important when talking about what a plant may need. PH is fine with what you have for now.

ye carry on feeding o and just put of switch for a couple of days

Comment

Slacker here. I got the shelf removed, panels in place, pot rim holes made, fans clipped on the clothes rod and I kept them fed & watered. Had a busy week then two days of down time with pain. I watered/fed them tonight so they'd be more pliable tmrw. I tied some of the middle plant with twisty ties, leaving some slack - it's not easy twisting those ends when you can't bend your fingers on one hand. Q's: Do I have the fan at the right angle/placement? High or low speed? On 24/7? After tying down the ends to the pot rim, if it seems like they're pulling on the main stem do I twisty them around the main? I also have the coated wire and plant zip ties here. My closet is 24-26" deep, right now the middle plant front ends are resting against the closet door when I close it. I'll pull each one out to work on tmrw then fit them back inside. That tall one in back on the middle plant that I haven't tied yet is as thick as the main stem. Any advice or drawings/diagrams are welcome. TY.

Comment

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        Your plant are looking a lot better, remember that the goal is to tie the tops down to keep the plant as short as possible. Leave the fan on 24/7 low or medium should be sufficient. I see some kind of discoloration on a couple leafs in the middle, let's look at that next, can you tell me a little bit about it? Close up picture?

Did you flip to 12/12?

I had to start somewhere it's so big and full, I couldn't see what I was working with. The lights were going out in 90 minutes so I stopped for tonight when the lights turned off. I'm working on tops tmrw. I wanted to get the tops tied down before I flipped, I want to flip. Received the GH trio, used grow and micro tonight. So, when I get the tops tied, flip to 12/12, then do I start using micro & bloom right away? Ease in, or go by bottle chart for amounts? I'll be using all the lights - grow & bloom switches - it's going to be hotter in there after that. I took these photos last Saturday. Yes, I have questions about a few leaves. And here's a photo before I tied anything, I had to wait a week for nephew to help with removing the shelf and hanging the panels. I could separate the panels a little more from mid-center but the one on the right is sitting on the extra long/strong shower curtain rod just to the left of where it adjusts, is thinner. I removed the one fluorescent fixture. I can move my rock/water humidity saucer from the L corner and put it between two pots, if it makes more space for the greenery to fit together. Is it 'normal' to need more pH Down when using GH products versus my fish emulsion & cal-mag? That took 3x tonight to get right or I would've gotten more done. The leaves last weekend, I wasn't sure if light burn or what that is. I had a few lighter small ones come off because I was 12 hrs late watering.

Comment

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        I would recommend Flipping that light A.S.A.P you will still need to tie down the plants for 3 weeks after and don't want to run out of vertical space, The leaf problem is potassium deficiency so that needs to be addressed. Yes changing nutrient lines will result in a need to adjust the Ph down.

use the bloom as well follow bottle use half strengh first couple of waters u will use more ph down about 1ml every 3litres water plus your ppm and ec will rocket with these nutes i use them hope this helps

Comment

I flipped on 9/1. No new bad leaves tonight, got the middle's top tied, I had to stop when the lights went out. I have two days this weekend to finish them, it's a jungle in there. I set it for 7-7 (north-central Illinois), does that sound like the best hours to choose?

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks good, if that schedule works best for you over the next 2 to 3 months then it's prefect. Do some reading onda defoliating over the next week, you are going to want to do this about week three of flower.
          by Nebula Haze Introduction to Bud-Based Defoliation What is cannabis defoliation, and why/how does removing leaves from a cannabis plant increase yields?

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          I would like to add that if over the next couple months that schedule isn't going to be ideal for you to keep, it's not a good idea to change it mid-flower but can be done just change the timer in there dark period so they spend more time in the dark and not a longer lights on. I would not recommend it if you can help it.

Right now sun up to sundown is 6:40 to 7:20. Going 7 to 7 doesn't give me much time at night to work on them but the room with the closet has windows. I'd prefer 8-8. Here is a picture the day before I flipped, at 7:38 p.m. Should I put duct tape where the light shows the closet door cracks through the black vinyl curtain? I got a black extra long thick shower curtain and those drapes usually make the room rather dark, I just am not sure how sensitive the closet/plants would be in this situation. I do make sure the bottom is covering the carpeting. Thank you for everything.

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Cannabis goes below absolute zero for dark, which means that it needs total darkness when it sleeps. Do the best you can to seal off the room and if 8-8 is going to be better the next 3 months, after the lights go off reset the timer from 7-7 to 8-8.

I got them all tied and switched around by Labor Day, and cleaned the closet floor. Most bad leaves were already there on the middle (oldest) plant, there's a new one on the L plant, otherwise a few newer, low leaves that aren't getting much light. The bad ones don't all look like the same problems. Two nights ago the middle one needed a little more water so I used pH'd water and added a half-dose of Flower Fuel, it seems to have made a difference. I'll take photos before lights come on in the morning, I'm doing 8-8. I definitely have to tuck them into the closet, they're bursting out all over. The youngest one, on the left, has fragile stems, I had two break and they wouldn't heal. Otherwise I'm pretty good at getting them to bend without injury, and I adjust the ties daily as needed.

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you get a three part nutrient?

• Puglover1
          Puglover1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I'm using the GH trio. Wondering if I still need more cal-mag.

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Since your plants have been in those pots for a excessive amount of time Calmag is a possibility and a good idea to add. I'm looking at the purple stems on the leafs and would really lean to phosphorus deficiency.

Calmag can't hurt but I'd up the phosphorus as well.

I don't know if the stem color is strain specific but these have had the red/purple stems since they were 'babies'. It's a purple indica strain. I gave them some CalMag with the trio today, and turned them so the corner plants are getting more light through.

Comment

Right before lights on Wed morning I took some pics. Thinking about trying Recharge when watering in the morning - thoughts?? The leaves look like they have differing problems. Most of the closet looks good, many of the bad leaves are on the middle/oldest plant: the yellow new lower leaves, a few that were 'hidden from light' in back, and some on the top. The other two plants have a few, I rearranged, turned, tied and tried to get more light through them.

Comment

Well, I didn't sleep well last night. I went to spend a few hours with the plants after supper, I was met with two wilted plants and one flourishing. I think the lower fan vibrated down and dried out the nearest two pots. RH was at Zero. After watering, with the closet doors & curtain open, the RH was at 20 with the lights on. The tops were OK. I think they showed me where to lollipop. Q: Should I do that today or let them recover and work on them tomorrow? I want to untie and re-do. When the lights are on the RH falls, I have this mini humidifier. Should I run it while the lights are on, with the timer? I have one fan on top and one on the bottom pointing toward walls, from opposite corners. Should I use both on top instead? I have another tower fan but it takes up a lot of floor space in the closet. Yes, I felt ill but I had hope that I'd caught it in time.

Comment

• Puglover1
            Puglover1 commented
            Editing a comment
            I removed a coffee can full of leaves and scoped out the best/strongest looking colas. Tomorrow I will pull each plant out and get them in better shape. When I look up deficiencies most say that if I'm using a good nute combo that phosphorous and potassium should be adequate. What is the remedy for upping those individually, if needed? Or, because they've been in these pots for so long, should I put those hollow 'sticks' that come with orchids (for support) into the pots to ensure oxygen is getting to the roots OK? I put a few inches of perlite into these pots before transplanting, I can still see it in the drainage holes. I have room to top off the two sides plants with a little more soil medium. Was it hard for y'all the first time you had to lollipop off flowering shoots? I would've done more tonight but the lights went out. Going to need to make a Spotify playlist for tomorrow.

I plucked many fan leaves over the wknd and worked on the middles until the lights went out Sunday evening. Q: Do I cut off the bigger, low stems that won't support/grow nice colas, or just pluck them? The two end plants have a few nice colas each, the middle plant has Many. So, cut off the thin middle stems and shoots and finish removing fan leaves? Any other advice? Does it look better, so far? (Photo taken with flash right after lights out) Thanks, everyone.

Comment

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks a lot better.
            I'd say it needs some more leaf only but waiting a week wouldn't be a bad idea. Do you have gnats?

• Puglover1
            Puglover1 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't think so. I keep all of my windows closed but still see small dead bugs near my kitchen sink. The cat catches many bugs but these are too small. It's been very rainy and buggy here so I set those down to see what they caught ... one caught the cat's paw. There's soil medium and perlite, leaf parts and pet hair, and a few small bugs on the one sticky pad.

I flipped 12/12 on 9/1. Defoliated some last weekend. They're growing, leaves are looking OK. Qs: 1. Should I remove more leaves now & which ones/how much? 2. In photos below are those gnats on the sticky pad? (we had a lot of rain and humidity, non-growers have mentioned seeing gnats) I put some perlite on top, anything else should I do? Thank you!

Comment

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            Plants look really good, you did a good job with trainning and budlets are setting nicely. Remove about 12 leafs from each plant, remove larger leaf that is blocking buds. I can't tell what the bugs are but if they are gnats get more yellow sticky cards around the pots and on top of the canopy. Don't Spray neem oil on your plant at this point as it binds and stays on the cannabinoids they're producing.
            Do you see tiny black flies buzzing around your soil? Learn how to get rid of this common yet annoying pest again quickly.

• JohnEmad
            JohnEmad commented
            Editing a comment
            looking good.

• Puglover1
            Puglover1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks to you all. My next step is removing the pulleys and going hook-to-hook to raise the lights 6 inches. Some are getting close, I turn those colas to be in corners or by the wall until I can move the panels up. I put out a call to my two trusted helpers. The morning I opened the doors and the two biggest plants were limp my heart sunk. These girls have been through the mill. Oh, the bugs ... they look kinda like tiny baby fleas but more brown than black. I'll try to get a close photo of one of the sticky pads in the daylight this week. I hung two stickies above the canopy in the middle and there's one on each corner wall plus two on the pots. I attached a pad to the hanging light over my kitchen sink, caught two big flies, ha! It's that time of year here, the patio door opens for the pugs several times/day. The cat used to eat bugs, now he eats pot leaves and plays with bugs.

It's been 5.5 weeks since I went 12/12. The only plant that gets a few leaf issues is the biggest/oldest girl. Does anyone use Recharge? Seems like the middle plant was better after using it. Anyone use Flower Fuel? What should I do next - remove more leaves? remove inner, smaller stems? leave 'em alone? The only thing for the bugs (gnats?) is using the yellow sticky pads, right? Few are on the canopy-level stickies, most are on the pads on top of the pots. The temp stays around 70F, 67 was the lowest. The RH is 20% after 11 hrs of lights, and the doors open to work on them, highest I've ever seen was 55% in the a.m. before lights on, after watering the night before, while in veg. As always, TYVM! Have a great weekend. Edit: Do I see balls on the first photo, plant in the left corner??
          Last edited by Puglover1; 10-02-2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            Plant look good and are on the way. You could take some big leaves off, about a dozen per plant for now, pull them out the thick areas. I don't use recharge but have heard good things about it and if it helped as long as your PH is good add some. Your plants have been in those pots for a long time so they are going to have stress most likely from root bound but you just need to get them to the finish line and you're about half way through flower. Next grow you'll know to flip the light a little sooner so you won't some of the problems you have had to deal with.

Thanks Mr.furley. I agree, the oldest plant has the most leaf issues. I don't think my next biggest pots would've fit in the closet, and I didn't expect to be finishing this late by myself. What are these?? If you look at the first photo in the post above, enlarge it, left side, top third ... I saw it in the photos but it was too late to go look in person.

Comment

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            I can see what your getting at but the pictures is to blurry to really say. Get a clean picture in natural light tomarrow and upload it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X