First grow noob needs advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First grow noob needs advice.

I’ve never grown before so any input would be helpful.
    I’m going to use a 3’x3’x6’ tent. Have a 1000w led. Was thinking 4 autos. Is that too many for my space? Plan on 5 gallon pots and using organic soil. I know Miracle-Gro is a bad thing but would like to know if Miracle-Gro premier organic potting soil is usable? I have two constraints, one being budget and two (and more important) I live in a fairly small area and have limited access to get supplies. I’m mainly limited to Walmart/Meijers or Menards/Lowe’s plus what I can get online.

I would think 4 autos would be fine in a 3x3. I'm doing my first auto grow now and I don't think they'll get big enough to crowd your tent too much. Just my opinion but like I said I'm new to autos. Also, from my understanding, a 3 gallon pot is the recommended size for autoflowers. Anything bigger is a bit too big for them unless you're planning on growing outside. As far as the soil, I think most of the veteran growers will tell you to go with a tomato soil if you're going to use Miracle Grow. I may be wrong but if I am, some of them should be by to offer some guidance and get you going in the right direction.

Comment

I am using FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil, ordered 4 bags online through Walmart and had them delivered to my house. It seems to be pretty good soil. The only thing I have had to do is monitor my Ph before watering. It's been working out pretty good so far. I wish you luck with whatever soil you choose. Happy growing!

Comment

Fox Farm is a good one as stated, if it's available to you. I use it as well but I mix mine, 1 bag Ocean Forest and 1 bag Happy Frog. Works pretty good to take the girls all the way through until harvest without having to add anything. My pH runs about 7-7.5 I think but I've never worried about it really and haven't had issues yet. I swear I do a lot of things wrong but it still works for me somehow.

Comment

Although I grow primarily in hydro, I've done random soil grows using 5 and 7 gal fabric bags.
          These were always random auto's grown in a spare closet.
          Based on how they usually grew, most would fill a 2x2 space, so fitting 4 in your tent will be crowded.
          I've had decent luck using Kellogs organic potting soil from the box stores.
          WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I just did 1 per sq.ft. in a 4x4 without a fan!. Growing 4 in a 3x3 is no sweat.

Comment

Dont overlook places like TSC or atwoods, other farm and garden stores, they will carry blood meal, bone meal, pelleted sulfur, pelleted dolomite etc. and many garden sprays that we can use.
              The MG organic is said to be ok
              Welcome to GWE!

Comment

As long as the MG does not have time released nutrients (esp nitrogen). The main issue that people have had with regular MG potting soil is the time released nitrogen creates issues during flower usually giving it nitrogen toxicity as the plant needs less nitrogen during flower. I have heard that the organic non-time-released potting soil is ok to use, but just make sure it has enough drainage. You may need to add something like perlite or small clay pebbles to increase drainage and airflow. Also i personally have a 3x3x6 and usually grow 4 plants in 5 gal pots.

One question, is it a 1000w ACTUAL wattage or EQUIVALENT wattage. If equivalent, then it is not 1000w. Find out how much it pulls from the wall and that is how many watts you have. You should aim for 30-60 actual wattage per sq/ft

Comment

• Tersky
                  Tersky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That will be ok for veg but flower will need at least 300w for your tent size for good dense buds

• Xena
                  Xena commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tersky would adding two 2 bulb t5s help on the flower lighting?

• Tersky
                  Tersky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Personally i feel t5's are not good for flower as they have very little penetration. It can be done if that is all you have but training for an even canopy is super important as the light only penetrates a few inches. HID or LED would be better IMO. Not saying it cant be done, just that you may have some good tops and a bunch of larf underneath.

Lots of good advice from folks. I have grown 4 autos in a same size tent even if they were 5gal but i prefer 3gal fabric for auto.
                Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                indoor/outdoor grower
                1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thank you all very much. From what you’ve said plus what I’ve read looks like I’m looking for 3 gal fabric pots today. Also didn’t even think about ordering soil online....no idea why I got almost everything else there. Thanks to whoever mentioned Tractor supply, I do have that as an option.

Comment

Thanks for joining the party Xena we love new members. Good for you to plan ahead for the grow, smart. We'll help ya best we can you'll get mixed advice but in the end it's what works for you and your grow space. Good luck

indoor/outdoor grower
                    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

• Xena
                      Xena commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’ve researched for weeks, plan your work, work your plan. I’ve think I’ve gotten info overload. Since I ran into problems ordering seeds they will be a while getting here so I’ve changed to a couple bag seeds just to experiment with and learn by hands on. I’ve read so much that it was getting into my head that it’s harder than I think it should be so I’m just gonna jump in with something I don’t really care about and see what happens.

No worries all or most of us old growers began with bag seed. It's good to just do a couple at a time but you judge for yourself. Have fun and let us know if you need help

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X