Heating pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heating pad

I haven't seen nothing on heating pads used for starting seeds. Are they necesary in a grow tent? I tried it for a couple days. It seemed like it was baking the starter pod. What do you think?

I honestly don't use them for my seeds or clones. I've found the heat from the lights is usually enough so the heat mat doesn't make much difference (I've tried both ways). Unless of course you live in a colder climate that affects your grow space, then I might recommend it. Hope that helps.

Comment

I use one for the initial soak and if I'm starting 6 or less I will usually start them in cups on the mat for about 3 days. It's absolutely not necessary, I just find that I tend to get faster, more consistent germination when they're kept around 78-80 degrees and I mostly use it because it has a thermostat to maintain temps so my germination and seed starting temps are the same year round and I can immediately eliminate that as a variable if I ever run into germination issues.

Comment

i used one to start mine have to be careful as the paper towel dries a lot quiker but u dont need it just put on a plate and a bowl on top put in a warm place good luck

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
          FunkyButtLovin commented
          Editing a comment
          I threw out the paper towels and now I don't have to worry about it drying out or drowning my seeds.

I give my seeds an 8hr. soak in Liquid Seaweed on the mat, then place in Jiffys, which are on the mat. Once they sprout, they're off the mat and in the pot. Auto soil grower. Disclaimer: This only reduces my germination time by 36-48 hrs.
        Last edited by quirk; 07-30-2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I use a 20-watt mat with a thermostatic controller for seedlings.
        I normally only need to use it during winter months-keeping media above 70degF makes a big difference.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I use the top of my freezer - just enough heat.
          ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
          Mars Hydro
          Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I'm placing the seeds ontop of my growlight and checking the heat few times a day i remove it when it's warm and sweating in the baggie. I still use papertowel after soak and baggie. Unless it's too cool i get success 99% of time.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X