Why did my plants die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did my plants die?

I'm a new grower, and am trying to figure out what went wrong with my first grow so that I can have a more successful second grow. I had two indoor Jack Herer Auto's from ilgm.com, and they were doing pretty well (besides some stretching when my lights were too high), up until about three weeks in, when they suddenly started drooping, and then quickly shrunk and died. This was all in the span of just a few days, and I tried problem-solving with no luck. My best guess is that it was because of a heat wave when temps rose to about 85 inside (never about 90), but from what i've read that temp doesn't seem high enough to kill plants, and it was getting close to that in temp before without the plants reacting like this. A friend guessed that there wasn't enough humidity, as my rh hovers around 50-60%. I wondered if it could have been under-watering, as I would let the dirt get fairly dry before watering. But as soon as I noticed the droop I added a good amount of water, and from what I've read they should have perked back up if they were too dry. As for other relevant info, medium is Fox Farms ocean forest in 2 gallon grow bags, with a 45 watt Root Farm led. I don't have space for a closet or tent, so I had a very simple setup on top of my refrigerator, with an oscillating fan.
    I'll add some pictures- the time between when the first pic and the other two was taken was 24 hours. Any held is appreciated, thanks!

Hi sorry to see this but i think the plants were for a chance underwatered. That circle of wet needs much closer to the tap root to begin with.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• firstgrow420
      firstgrow420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, thanks for the advice! I was trying to keep water away from the stem to keep mold from developing, but in this relatively low humidity that probably won't be much of an issue.

Starved and died from lack of sufficient light for a cannabis plant. And that other thing you're admitting to.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• firstgrow420
      firstgrow420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting, thanks for the advice! What makes you think the lack of light was an issue? Not sure what the other thing I admitted to was though...

I dont use FFOF but have read its a bit hot for seedlings.
    If these are 3 weeks old they are far behind, an auto is normally starting to flower at this age.. Autos can be unforgiving here, their clock is running.
    Also use a 30x zoom lens and look for bugs.
    They are not dead yet, but not far from it, I would add more soil up to the baby leafs, or first set of leaves whichever is there. Keep them watered, not soaked, and watch the new growth. Challenge now is to save them for the experience. If you have no space, and cant set them outside, have more seed?

Comment

• firstgrow420
      firstgrow420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, I think the stretching they had to do in the first two weeks wasn't the best, probably slowed down their development a bit. That along with underwatering probably didn't help. Just curious, are you sure adding soil to the first set of leaves and submerging the stem is a good idea? That would only leave maybe an inch of stem above soil.
      These two didn't make it, but I do have a few more seeds for next time!

How much is a good amount of water ??
    Definitely not the humidity- my humidity is lower than that and they are doing fine in that stage.

as Canuck is saying the light could definitely be one of the reason for this sick plant.
    im asking what is a good amount of water, because to me, what I remember from my rookie grows in the days. It this doesn’t look like lack of water, it’s not wilted? Looks drowned to me
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• firstgrow420
      firstgrow420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Tough to say exactly how much water, but really not much. I had a small spray bottle, and would spray maybe twice a day when I felt the top layer of soil was dry.

I'm going with a combination of heat and under watering. I don't think I've ever let my seedlings dry out enough that they droop. For the first few days after sprouting I water lightly every day or 2 and increase the water amount with the plant. Keep in mind that when your seed just sprouts, that tap root isn't very long. So if your soil is getting too dry on the top, chances are you're not getting enough water to the tap root. I usually try to keep it looking a little damp for the first week and then start letting it dry more once the roots grow a bit. I almost feel like it's better to over water seedlings a little than to under water.

Comment

• firstgrow420
      firstgrow420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, thanks for the advice! I've heard so many stories of people overwatering on their first grow, I might have drifted too far in the opposite direction... Any special way to ensure water gets to the tap root, or just keep it moist? Towards the end when the plants started wilting I tried watering, and kind of mixing up the soil to ensure the water made it all the way down without evaporating off the top, being careful not to disturb the roots of course.

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just keep it moist. Some people give about a shot glass worth of water every day or 2 to make sure it's got enough. Depends on temperature too. The hotter it is, the more you will have to water. I have hot lights in most of my tents so my soil dries out somewhat quickly on top, as an example. In my mother tent I have LEDs so I don't have to water as much because they run cooler. Spray bottle works too, you just have to make sure to spray enough for the water to soak down a little bit. I usually put mine on a mist and spray directly on my seedlings and soak the soil at the same time.

I'm gonna have to add a reason no one has mentioned that sounds like a very good possibility to me. The top of a refrigerator gets pretty damn hot, alot hotter than you might think I actually put my paper towel up there to get seeds to sprout in the winter because I'm to cheap to buy one of those heating pads to keep em warm
    Just a thought and the lack of water could have added to it
    TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
    s silver haze... strawberry haze...
    .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
    TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
    2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
    TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
    3 gallon pots all autos
    Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
    👇my one n only journal👇
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• Gjourney101
      Gjourney101 commented
      Editing a comment
      Soil heats up quickly after a few hours too. Good analysis

• firstgrow420
      firstgrow420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Could be! Although my thermometer/ rh meter was stuck right next to the plants, so hopefully those readings are accurate for the temp around the plants.

Start them in a Red Solo cup. Transplant into those pots you have once the canopy is just past the edges of the cup. They died because those pots are too big for those little seedlings.

My $0.02

Comment

• firstgrow420
      firstgrow420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well these are auto's, so I didn't want to transplant them

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X