Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner, should I be concerned about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner, should I be concerned about this?

My first plant was a complete failure so I tried to be extra careful with this one and I think I still got something wrong. I have a lot of leaf discoloration that is concerning me and I was hoping for some input.

I'm currently growing in a space bucket with a 90 watt red/blue UFO LED light. It's about 18 inches from the plant. I also have an led strip around the sides to get light under the top. I'm using fox farm ocean forest soil which has a lot of nutrients in it right? So I have been only lightly feeding organic nutrients from general organics. I think I gave it nutrients twice during veg and then realized I should transplant it to a bigger pot. Once I did that I didn't give it nutes at all till recently when the leaves started to get a little brown and yellow. I assumed it had used the nutes in the soil and it was time to start feeding it again. So it's got nutes the last two waterings. The bud sites seem ok and the smaller leafs seem to have good color. The leaves are not really "flat" they are pretty bumpy and I'm not sure if that is normal or an indication of something else I have done wrong? I'm thinking I should have transplanted again but I didn't want to now that it is flowering because I heard that is bad. This should probably be on a bigger pot though right?

Thoughts? Should I trim these discolored leaves off? Any obvious thing I'm messing up? Should I only be using this red/blue led for flower and different light during veg? Should I be giving nutes on a regular schedule even though I'm using the ocean forest soil? Should I transplant this now while it's already flowering?

Thank you

Rule of thumb, if the leaves reach over the side its ready for more soil.
    The old storage tank says you had a PH/root issue, watch the new growth. As far as taking it off, it is dyeing and the plant is sucking out all the nutes it stored there, once that has happened it will fall off on its own, I give them a gentle tug and if they come off they come off.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
      Rule of thumb, if the leaves reach over the side its ready for more soil.
      The old storage tank says you had a PH/root issue, watch the new growth. As far as taking it off, it is dyeing and the plant is sucking out all the nutes it stored there, once that has happened it will fall off on its own, I give them a gentle tug and if they come off they come off.
      So should I transplant now while it's flowering?

Comment

I dont like to, but as long as you do no damage to the roots all will be good. And also look at what some have done in solo cups!

Comment

Well... My PH is way low. My run off is between 4 and 5. I just poured two cups of water I adjusted to like 8.5 twice and my run off is still low. I'm going to let it sit for like an hour and try again and see what happens. I don't know how else I would fix the PH?

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            To me it looks like a PH issue for sure.
            Just make your PH water on 6,3-6,5 and water with this range.
            If you adjust it too 8,5 (which is high) you end up with a soil to high when not paying attention.

• Farmbuck
            Farmbuck commented
            Editing a comment
            I totally agreed with CaptainWiese91 , keep your PH level (6.3 - 6.5) in that range when using soil as your medium..

I use pelleted dolomite to buffer up, and pelleted sulfur to buffer down, I put both in the soil and let the plant move things around and adjust the PH to their needs. One could dissolve some dolomite in water for a quick fix kinda thing, or boil 12 washed egg shells and make that into a gallon use 1 cup to each gallon of water..

Comment

• golfnrl
            golfnrl commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh man I love stuff like this... "or boil 12 washed egg shells and make that into a gallon." Rwise that is the kind of stuff that I like to learn about and I guess just takes time to come to know.

8.5 ph is never good here's a link that might help you out.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabi...h-fluctuations

edit = this is actually the page that shows how to fix ph

Learn how to easily adjust pH up and down if needed for your cannabis grow. It helps prevent nutrient deficiencies!
          Last edited by MeEasy; 07-19-2020, 07:29 AM.
          TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
          s silver haze... strawberry haze...
          .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
          TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
          2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
          TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
          3 gallon pots all autos
          Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
          👇my one n only journal👇
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• dhoyt1234
            dhoyt1234 commented
            Editing a comment
            This is helpful thank you!

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
          I use pelleted dolomite to buffer up, and pelleted sulfur to buffer down, I put both in the soil and let the plant move things around and adjust the PH to their needs. One could dissolve some dolomite in water for a quick fix kinda thing, or boil 12 washed egg shells and make that into a gallon use 1 cup to each gallon of water..
          So when you mix these pelleted dolomite and sulfer together in the soil the plant uses them to pH balance itself? So you wouldn't need to worry as much?

Comment

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly, I dont bother with PH, dont even have a tester.

Nice. I will definitely be researching that!

Comment

Organic growing is much simpler as long as you keep your soil alive you just add water, no flushing or ph worrys. I've just started my soil for my first organic run and hoping for the best. Just been reading these guys posts and every article I can find. I learned everything that you will ever need to know about learning I'll explain.... you will never stop learning
            TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
            TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
            3 gallon pots all autos

👇my one n only journal👇

Comment

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              I find that with organic soil and 20+ gallon pots, you will still need to feed! I make my own organic stuff to feed them with.

I'm lookin for any and all advice and tricks from experienced friends. I've been reading about teas, aloa vera, and potassium silicate
            TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
            TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
            3 gallon pots all autos

👇my one n only journal👇

Comment

Compost! If you have room to do it, it pays off, we toss many things that make great soil, potato peels, apple peels, grass clippings, a good hot compost can eat some hair or feathers, on and on. Tree leaves (not black walnut) ground fine, cow poo (other poo's, cow is best), blood meal, bone meal, peat moss (great PH down). However if coffee grounds are used the caffeine must be completely removed.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X