Soil Recommendations Under 20$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soil Recommendations Under 20$

I'm almost out of FFOF, and I would buy more since I've had great experience in it, even though it's a hot soil I've still grown from seed using 100% FFOF, but it's really expensive. Can anyone recommend some soils that are good for Cannabis and not as expensive?

I don't know much about making my own super soil and I probably can't since I live in an apartment. I don't know anything about Coco Coir or Perlite really either, and definitely nothing about hydrophonics.

I'm going to attempt cloning for the first time after harvesting my current grow, so it should be good for clones too.

I'm thinking about the following:

Black Gold All Purpose Potting Soil:

Other Black Gold All Purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Gold-8Q...id=1595038042& refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A4301195011%2Cp_36%3A2661612011&rnid=26616110 11&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-68

Black Gold Moisture Supreme:

Or Maybe Happy Frog with a little bit of my FFOF left.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Stahlherz420; 07-17-2020, 09:14 PM.

I have used Black Gold All Purpose in the past and it seemed fine to me. It began to run out of nutrients mid grow and I ended up adding amendments to it but as an initial planting medium it was good.

Comment

• Stahlherz420
      Stahlherz420 commented
      Editing a comment
      By amendments, would you mean liquid nutrients? Would they work once the soil is out of power?

• crucialbunny
      crucialbunny commented
      Editing a comment
      I add amendments based on what a plant is telling me. If it is becoming pale in color during veg I often will add nitrogen rich soil to the surface of my container and give it a long drink of water to wash through to the roots. Usually this will bring back the dark green color within a couple days. During flower I will do the same thing using worm castings and fresh compost. While my plants are budding I make teas consisting of blackstrap, banana, avocado, epsom, and a small amount of worm castings. I will take that tea and dilute it to 3/4 cup to a gallon of water. The key here is not just adding nutrients but also bringing the soil back to life with enzymes and bacteria that encourage natural processes within the soil to allow better root absorption. It's important to look at your soil as a living organism and not just a matrix of chemicals and fertilizers. This is not based on any scientific data but rather my own personal philosophy, research, and experience. Honestly, creating your own soil can be nearly as fun and challenging as growing weed. Best of luck to you.

I went to a nursery & bought a yd of garden soil for $25. She says she's made it for 18yrs & it's the best soil for tomatoes anywhere. It looks n smells real good.... I just planted 2 lab rats today so we'll see.

Comment

I use a mix of FFOF and FFHF and it works great. Happy Frog is very similar just not as hot so they work well mixed. I know you're in an apartment but do you have any space you can mix a 2 cubic ft bag of soil? I'm asking that because I found an amendment online that works pretty good for super soil. All you do is mix it with a 2 cubic foot bag (I think that's what the big bag of HF is) of soil and some worm castings, throw it in a garbage can and stir once or twice a week for 30-60 days. Super easy and the amendment mix was less than $25 on eBay. I couldn't see mixing the huge amount in the recipe on GWE so I looked for another solution. Works pretty good, been using it for the last year. Just mixed all the soil together because my regular soil is getting depleted, but still working great honestly.

Comment

• Stahlherz420
        Stahlherz420 commented
        Editing a comment
        If I left the giant trash can on my porch to compost so no one would take it, and I took the soil onto a tarp in the middle of the backyard area of the apartment, which is sort of a public area, which hopefully isn’t against any laws to mix dirt in a public area. Are you talking like a large, black trash can? Where would I get one?

• dphipps1020
        dphipps1020 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah a large one. Hardware store, garden center, Wal-Mart, places like that would have them. Well, I guess if you're mixing one bag a medium size one might do

I use a $4 18gal plastic tote to mix perlite into my soil & store it to fill pots. Just leave ventilation for it to breathe so it dont mold. When I was buying bagged soils it would hold 2 bags & the 30% perlite leaving plenty of room to stir.
      Last edited by JDU; 07-19-2020, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X