Need Help - First Grow Has Bugs In Soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help - First Grow Has Bugs In Soil

Hey everyome! This is my first grow and I've been using a mix of super soil and happy frog potting mix with 2 100w CFLs per plant. Everything has been fine until a few days ago I noticed some whitish/tannish bugs crawling about in the soil and I haven't been able to correctly identify them based on my research. Starting yesterday I noticed a decline in one of my plants health. The picture below shows one I was able to get a photo of but there are MANY of these things crawling around in the soil. They don't really hang out on the plant or under the leaves but I caught a few crawling up the stem this morning.

Can anyone tell me what these might be and how to help heal my plant?

It looks like the soil is too hot (i.e. rich with nutrients) for a seedling. They don't really need much until they're a few weeks old.

Comment

• Juicetheproducer
      Juicetheproducer commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. It was doing fine in this soil for a while now though

Juicetheproducer your picture caption says 4 weeks in. You might want to consider putting your energy into getting something else growing. The height/development, bugs, and spots are no Bueno.

In the future, make sure you have air blowing over the soil at all times. When you get your soil, let it sit out. Out of the bag or in bags with big holes so the dirt can dry out. I buy the next harvests' soil when I plant a new one. That gives a good four months for the soil to completely dry out. The bags are great for breeding bugs as soon as they are filled.

Do a little looking around on the GWE website and the forum for Diatomaceous earth. And in just a moment, at least 8 other people with give you the same or other answers. Wait for it.
    Last edited by Gingerbeard; 06-24-2020, 09:49 PM.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• Juicetheproducer
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice! I did have to replant them because I didnt have proper lights at the beginning so they stretched kind far up. I keep the super soil tied up in the bag it came in I didn't know I had to air it out

So you don't think their salvageable with some neem oil treatments?

Me Myself and I need a better pic of the bug, to me it looks like a termite, but pic is not expandable enuf for my eyes.
    Plant looks to have root issue/s, to wet, to hot.
    I would not give up on it just yet.

Comment

Root Aphids. Trash the plant and the soil and anything the soil has touched.

Comment

• Juicetheproducer
        Editing a comment
        Definitely considering this option. I've got 5 auto blue dream seeds coming soon that I am looking forward to that will need my full attention.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X