Sunlight question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Sunlight question

I have areas that get more sunlight than other areas. Should I move my budding plants into the areas with more direct sun or should the growth stage plants get the most sun? Thanks for any help!
    Tie Your Mother Down! (Queen)

More sun for both veg and flowering is best, unless you are in a very hot area 95 F or higher. If that is the case some mid day shade is advised for a couple of hours.
    Last edited by Korn; 06-24-2020, 11:04 AM.
    If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

If you have a good environment, sunlight is never a bad thing. I like the way my sun makes my plants veg and flower. It's like a zillion watt light that I don't have to worry about burning my plants. But the minimum height is like 93 million miles.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

Agreed, ideally full sun would be nice for all. Which need the full sun more though? Temps are in the 80's and 90's through summer and into fall. I get plenty of shade and filtered sun, but I would like to know which would benefit more from the most time in the full sun. Or if it makes any difference.

Comment

Absent a definitive answer, I'm leaning towards moving the growth stage plants to the areas with the most full sun. Good thing I don't get full sun all day or the freaks would be 20 feet tall and you could see them from space! Thanks all!

Comment

My my the answer you asked for was given.
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Ok thanks for noticing SoOrbudgal. We are kind of NorCoast neighbors it appears. I'm from SoHum. What time is it? It's Ganj a' clock, time to burn! Outdoor only for me, I only clone if something breaks off. Although I do see the potential, and advantages of cloning.

Comment

Move the highest yielding strains into the direct light.
                4x4 600w HID empty for summer
                3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
                2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
                running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Thanks Toker, That's pretty much what I was thinking.

Comment

I would lean towards feeding the ones flowering & using the most energy. My veg tent has a LOT less wattage than the flower.
                    My $0.05

Comment

Nice to have problems like this! I'm figuring the flowering ones are going to stay about the same size, while the extra sun will help the ones still growing to further develop and increase their yield when they do flower. But I will move a few of the budders into the better sunlight to compare. Thanks!

Comment

• Toker1
                        Toker1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Correct. More light in veg will lead to larger plants to flower with (as long as container size is appropriate). The more photons available will, in turn, produce larger yields when it’s flower time.

Wait a min....???
                      How do you have outdoor plants both flowering & vegging?

Comment

• Toker1
                        Toker1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Look up light deprivation. You can flower mid season if done correctly.

• JDU
                        JDU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well yeah- but you gotta keep em kinda short to make that manageable.

• Rwise
                        Rwise commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I do to, 1 harvest already this year, 2 more almost ready, most of the rest is in preflower, bit i have several in veg. Odd year!

Yeah, I try to breed for the traits I desire. Early showing (sex), wide/fat leaves, sturdy stalks, the basic indica traits. I use the males that show these, pollinate a branch or two of the females that match. Then do some cross breeding on other fems. They all finish at different times so I'm not swamped with work drying, curing and trimming. My plants show some wild diversity but most are consistent and look alike. Old school botany. Been trying to bring back Kush from the gene pool! Having trouble uploading pics though.

Comment

• Toker1
                        Toker1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Try stabilizing the parent plants before breeding if you want consistency in the offspring. If done correctly, this technique will produce a smaller amount of phenotypes per batch of seeds.

Actually I don't mind the large amount of phenotypes, that is where I can see the recessive gene that pops up with the traits etc. that I'm looking for. I use light deprivation when they are small and undeclared to get them to show. This way I only plant fems in my containers. The males chosen for breeding stay in small containers. Most of the offspring from my seeds are consistent though. I made a post/new topic earlier asking "Has Hindu Kush Skunk Bud Vanished", some basic background on where I'm headed with this. I'm kind of a Ludite, all I know I learned from my "apprenticeship" in Humboldt back in the early 80's. and the book "Marijuana Botany" which was required reading! Thanks for your responses and help!

Comment

• Toker1
                        Toker1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No prob. Yeah, the genetic drift and environmental stresses are some of the cause for losses in the qualities we most desire. Breeders are constantly trying to keep their genetics “pure” so they produce the qualities they desire (Flavor, high, bag appeal, so on...)
                        There is also the fact that local laws may have made it impossible for breeders to keep a specific plant around for as long as they wanted. Prohibition is responsible for many genetic losses that will never be able to be recovered again.

I’m not trying to create a stir here but i have a question. If you have been growing since the 80s (30+ years) and are into breeding and pheno hunting, etc. why would you be posting questions concerning where is the best place to locate your vegging vs flowering plants as far as the the amount of sunlight is concerned? That is a very basic, rudimentary, and common sense knowledge that most folks would consider to be a no-brainer, even for those with no experience whatsoever.
                      If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

• Toker1
                        Toker1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It’s always good to get other opinions. Especially on the things we have been doing for years and never thought about changing. Even in the work place at our jobs, most commonly I hear “...but we have been doing it like this for years.” only to realize later there was a better/more efficient way to do it. We never will get better if we never question our own methods.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X