Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stay in 3 gallon pots through vegetative and flowering stages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay in 3 gallon pots through vegetative and flowering stages?

We've started a 2nd grow and the plants are doing great - but we're wondering if we can leave them in the original pots we planted them in? Anyone?

Depends on the size of the plant and if it’s an auto or a photo strain ?
    3 gallon is 11 L, it’s possible but the plant won’t grow big and maybe will get issues with rootbound.
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• TishWish
      TishWish commented
      Editing a comment
      They're clones from a dispensary - they don't sell auto flower. But the plants do get root bound and I know with other plants, they bloom more when they're potbound. But I needed advice from professionals, so thank you... I'm wondering if it's ok to repot when they're flowering. Or too fragile?

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      After the third week of flowering is just a waste of time and the plants do stress. If the plant is big enough you may need to water much more often during flowering but I imagine its not that big. Got pictures?

• CaptainWiese91
      CaptainWiese91 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes clearly you need to water more as 9fingerleafs write.
      It can be done for sure. But it’s just need extra attention in my experience

I'd say it depends on the media you're using.
    Soil is going to have an issue unless you are running small plant/short cycle grows.
    If you're using coco, then it'll work.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I'm going to throw in a mention of the type of pot. Plastic pots are easy to transplant from. Fabric pots are more difficult because the roots can grow into the bag. Sometimes cutting the fabric pot is the only option to get the plant out.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

Thank you all... I appreciate all your responses. We're using soil and plastic pots - we've always transplanted into a 7 or 8 gallon pot before. I watch for the roots at the bottom and that kind of tells me it's time. But these plants, one is 24K and the other is Purple Fantasy - they're not tightly packed like the first batch and this is week 5 and they're just starting to grow the nodes. We got fertilizer for them, during vegitative & another for flowering. We were just thinking it would be nice to not repot these. And also we're watering every other day already. Part of that's the heat - growing in a tent in the garage. The first crop came out beautifully and we grew Venom OG, Wedding Pie and Whoody and very time we smoke, I say ooh, I like that one.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Well 3gal is rather small for photo and beings it's plastic those roots will cause issues perhaps down the road. Play it safe and go to your 7gal. less issues is my thoughts. About "blooming more when pot bound" they will age quicker is my experience rootbound plants seem to age rapidly but it also has the chance of buds being smaller.

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          Couldn’t agree more. Talk about a rapid flush when plants are rootbound. Only tried it once with a closet full of clones but I totally get what you mean about aging faster. I believe it’s because the rapid wet dry cycle in the pot

Then, 'my way' is sprout on towel, early veg in Solo cups, one gallon plastic until the root balls get nice, then final pot. When the final pot happens, break up the roots, transplant, water, root nute, water, regular feeding. Wait at least two weeks before flowering. And we're off.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          I do the same except I use a one liter in between solo cups and one gallon. And I don’t break up roots

Thank you all - my common sense, from your comments, tells me we should repot. No problem. Thanks again...

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X